GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an Acadia at a dealer in a different city than I live because the dealer close to me wasn't helpful.

However, it appears the tax rate in the other city is higher than the city I live in.

When the tax is figured is it based on where you buy the car or the city the car is registered to (where I live)?

·
Registered
215 Posts
The sales tax is based on which State the car is registered so you should be fine going across the border

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is correct. If you are financing you can have your state's tax added to the amount so it can be financed. If you are paying cash they can leave it off and you will pay the BMV when you get your permanent tags.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you are in a neighboring city/county/state to yours, most likely the dealer will handle all the licensing issues for you. The sales tax is based upon the address of the tag registration.

I actually purchased a car in Denver with the full intention of living in Denver, but within 2 weeks, had found out I might be transferred to Tennessee. The dealership gave me another temp tag, and stopped the processing of my registration. When I found out I would definately be transferred, the dealer gave me back the paperwork, as well as a check for all the taxes I paid at purchase-- which I promptly used to register the car in Tennessee and pay the sales tax on. The dealer stated they would handle registration if I lived in Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota or Kansas, but they could not handle Tennessee-- still the process was very easy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes, two cars I've bought in Maryland (I live in Virginia), I just got an "in transit" 10 day temp tag. I paid the taxes and registration (license) at the VA DMV and saved myself time and extra "processing" charges. Then, list the vehicle with the county for personal property tax (and former county sticker).

IMHO, I'd rather do these things myself than pay several hundred dollars more to a dealership.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I'm in Gurnee, IL and your home address dictates the sales tax you'll be paying. At least, that's how it works here. So it wouldn't have done me any good to go up into Kenosha, WI where the sales tax is like 2% less than Gurnee. :-\

1 - 6 of 6 Posts