GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a GM dealer employee in uncertain times :help:, with a high payment, I had to trade my 08 in and reduce my payment with another vehicle. I do plan to keep tabs on the forum and provide any parts related assistance I can from time to time though. :beer:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
tmundal said:
As a GM dealer employee in uncertain times :help:, with a high payment, I had to trade my 08 in and reduce my payment with another vehicle. I do plan to keep tabs on the forum and provide any parts related assistance I can from time to time though. :beer:
Understandable, but sorry to hear that you had to do this.
Thanks for all your input and assistance on here, please do stick around.
What was the choice for the replacement if you don't mind me asking?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
tmundal said:
As a GM dealer employee in uncertain times :help:, with a high payment, I had to trade my 08 in and reduce my payment with another vehicle. I do plan to keep tabs on the forum and provide any parts related assistance I can from time to time though. :beer:
It's completely understandable. Sorry to hear you had to give it up. Can I ask what you replaced it with?

Admittedly I went through this same thing last November/December, but as it turns out, the trade-in on a high mileage Acadia is crap and I'm upside down in my loan. The vehicles I considered then were the Pontiac Vibe and a Toyota Camry. Neither could get me into a lower payment without putting substantial money down, which made no sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06 Honda Accord. Didn't want to go quite as small, but it was a cherry that got traded in, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Bummer to hear, but the Accord is a pretty nice set of wheels in its own right.

Are you still checking your Willamette Auto email address? I had sent a parts inquiry to that email addy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtnbound said:
Bummer to hear, but the Accord is a pretty nice set of wheels in its own right.

Are you still checking your Willamette Auto email address? I had sent a parts inquiry to that email addy.
I will check later today, I am not on-site today.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
tmundal said:
06 H***a Accord. Didn't want to go quite as small, but it was a cherry that got traded in, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity :)
Now I know how the CIA felt when we lost one to the other side during the cold war! :p

J/K, sorry to hear this had to happen, but thanks for all your help to the members here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
tmundal said:
06 Honda Accord. Didn't want to go quite as small, but it was a cherry that got traded in, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity :)
You are a GM dealer employee, and traded for a honda??
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...............
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
MRBUICK said:
You are a GM dealer employee, and traded for a honda??
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you...............
But given circumstances.. Gotta do what you can.
Because of GM's high prices, and current situation, that is what caused some of the problem.
I am sure that he didn't want to have to do this, I don't think we should make it any harder or uncomfortable on him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
bonk1313 said:
But given circumstances.. Gotta do what you can.
Because of GM's high prices, and current situation, that is what caused some of the problem.
I am sure that he didn't want to have to do this, I don't think we should make it any harder or uncomfortable on him.
:ditto:

This member in only 67 posts has been very helpful here. A little medley of his greatest hits:
Oil analysis

GM goodwill warranty

GMVIS inquiry

Help with parts

Parts illustration posted

Thanks again tmundal!

BTW, last time I worked at a GM dealer, I rode a Suzuki motorcycle to work unless it was raining... then it was the pride & joy of GM the Corvair ;). Most of the techs that worked there did not drive GM cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
sorry, no sympathy here
My sister, the honda driver used to think like you. She lost her her dental job because the local auto plant shut down and the former patients did not come in anymore. She said the auto industry would never affect her job......FAT CHANCE!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
MRBUICK said:
sorry, no sympathy here
I guess nobody asked for you to portray or offer your sympathy to someone on here, but keep uncalled for and rude remarks to yourself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
A couple of points to ponder:

1) The Accord became the first Japanese car to be produced in the U.S in 1982, when production commenced in Marysville, Ohio at Honda's Marysville Auto Plant.
Source: Wikipedia- North American Accord. Sure, it's a foreign company, but US workers put it together.
2) He bought a USED car from the dealer where he works. This put more money into the GM dealer than if he had bought a domestic car elsewhere. Had he bought a new car assembled overseas, that would be a different story.

Guess I better delay the plans to buy an S2000 to replace my RX-7. Oh well, wasn't sure if a V8 would fit in there anyway. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
A couple of points to ponder:

1) The Accord became the first Japanese car to be produced in the U.S in 1982, when production commenced in Marysville, Ohio at Honda's Marysville Auto Plant.
Source: Wikipedia- North American Accord. Sure, it's a foreign company, but US workers put it together.
2) He bought a USED car from the dealer where he works. This put more money into the GM dealer than if he had bought a domestic car elsewhere. Had he bought a new car assembled overseas, that would be a different story.

Guess I better delay the plans to buy an S2000 to replace my RX-7. Oh well, wasn't sure if a V8 would fit in there anyway. ;)
We all have the freedom of choice to buy whatever we want. But I'm hearing more and more about how "American" Honda, Toyota, and the other foreign transplants are. We need to separate reality from the propaganda and false perceptions. Sure, some Hondas have been assembled in Marysville for many years. But when they first opened, the argument was that the "transplants" would buy components from the once-dominant and once-thriving American auto parts industry. It never happened as promised. In fact, Japan's greatest exports to the U.S. are autos, and auto parts. The "transplant" assembly pants are supported by many workers and new factories in Japan, and Germany, and Korea.
I've read that we've lost 10 jobs for every job created by the foreign transplants. Is it any wonder we're in the economic mess that we now face?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my own defense... If I thought for one second a Pontiac G6 would last 200k, I would've bought one. But I'm not even sure GM will make parts for it in a month from now.

And to the person looking for the parts price quote, The freight is a KILLER on that. I couldn't touch retail at your local dealer on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
tmundal said:
In my own defense... If I thought for one second a Pontiac G6 would last 200k, I would've bought one.
Which, IMHO, is why so many people opt to buy the Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
tmundal said:
In my own defense... If I thought for one second a Pontiac G6 would last 200k, I would've bought one. But I'm not even sure GM will make parts for it in a month from now.

And to the person looking for the parts price quote, The freight is a KILLER on that. I couldn't touch retail at your local dealer on it.
For what it's worth, I'm not sure how good they are nowadays, but in 2000 we bought a 1996 Bonneville SSEi (factory supercharged 3.8L series 2 V6) w/ 100K miles on it in Iowa and drove it halfway across the country with one flat tire being the only issue. We both loved that car (which is saying a lot for me for a car w/ 4 doors and a sissy stick an automatic trans ;)) and it would start in a microsecond- only one I've ever had like that for some reason. Due to our driving patterns, we couldn't keep putting 25K/year on it, but I have no doubt it would have gone 200K miles. Sold it when I ran out of garage space and had another project on the way. :(

I've no concerns over parts supply for the Chevy/GM motors in my cars- they have made millions of them, so even if GM never makes another part, the aftermarket will step in and produce them. For this reason, I can still buy virtually any part as needed for the Corvair, which went out of production in 1969. I read a posting about some guy that recently turned like 700K miles on his not too long ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
I think we all have stories about exceptional cars that have lasted the ages;

I owned a Datsun (for those that don't know, that's what Nissan was called then :)) anyway I had a Datsun 810 that my grandfather bought new; handed it down to my mom who handed it down to me. When she (the car not my mom :)) finally left us; she had 350K on the odometer and never had a muffler or ,any other major component, replaced. Along with that; I'm sure there were some 810's that were just pure junk and didn't last long.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top