GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealership intending to purchase a new 2008 Acadia going through checking all the bells and whistles to make sure everything worked as expected when I made a discovery. Upon folding down the 3rd row seats and lifting up the cover flap to reveal the hinges, we found all of the hinges corroded with rust (with any luck, I've attached a picture of two of the hinges). There also was moisture in the compartment on some of these parts. The salesperson geniunely seemed surprised and embarassed. We checked the other Acadias at the dealership to see if it was isolated to the particular vehicle we had planned on purchasing, and found that all their Acadias had rust corrosion in the same place, although the extent varied depending on the vehicle. Even the 2009 models had it, though much less. The sales manager and service managers came out to check it and hadn't heard of anything from GM. They indicated that it was likely superficial or they would've heard from another customer or GM by now, but understood my concern and weren't the least bit pushy. I've searched this forum (as a new member) but haven't found any comments similar. I checked with an owner of an Enclave and he confirmed that his vehicle didn't have this. I intend to visit another GMC dealer to look at their Acadias to see if it's isolated to the particular dealership (perhaps how they're cleaning the interiors...?)

For now, until I get some answers (I have contacts at GM in Detroit), I've put the transaction on hold. I'm very disappointed because I loved the vehicle until this...

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
sfcook said:
I was at the dealership intending to purchase a new 2008 Acadia going through checking all the bells and whistles to make sure everything worked as expected when I made a discovery. Upon folding down the 3rd row seats and lifting up the cover flap to reveal the hinges, we found all of the hinges corroded with rust (with any luck, I've attached a picture of two of the hinges). There also was moisture in the compartment on some of these parts. The salesperson geniunely seemed surprised and embarassed. We checked the other Acadias at the dealership to see if it was isolated to the particular vehicle we had planned on purchasing, and found that all their Acadias had rust corrosion in the same place, although the extent varied depending on the vehicle. Even the 2009 models had it, though much less. The sales manager and service managers came out to check it and hadn't heard of anything from GM. They indicated that it was likely superficial or they would've heard from another customer or GM by now, but understood my concern and weren't the least bit pushy. I've searched this forum (as a new member) but haven't found any comments similar. I checked with an owner of an Enclave and he confirmed that his vehicle didn't have this. I intend to visit another GMC dealer to look at their Acadias to see if it's isolated to the particular dealership (perhaps how they're cleaning the interiors...?)

For now, until I get some answers (I have contacts at GM in Detroit), I've put the transaction on hold. I'm very disappointed because I loved the vehicle until this...

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice?
I will check my 2009 later today. That is alot of rust! These vehicles either had a major amout of moisture inside or possibly the part were damaged before installation. That rust will get over everything and it looks like the release cable has it too. I don't think cleaning the interiors will do that unless their taking a garden hose to it. Did all the models you checked have sunroofs?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Just checked my 09' OUTLOOK and there was just a little bit of surface rust, nothing like in the pic. My guess is this unprotected steel was exposed to humidity at the factory or sitting on the lot, I'll bet everyone has got a little bit of rust on theirs and just dont know it.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
That amount of rust is definitely not usual; what part of the country do you live. I wonder if the dealership leaves the vehicles open for people to look for extended periods of time. Sounds like they have some work to do.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I had rust like that on my 1997 Grand Prix. What caused it was me leaving the door wide open all night when it was pouring down rain. I think it is not normal for a car that has not been wet on the inside.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
OKay, just went out a looked at my 2008. I had the sunroof leak problem also, so I can say that there was infact moisture in my vehicle at least 3 times when it leaked. I have no rust on the middle brackets, the passenger side bracket, but a small amount on the driver side bracket.

Photos included.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
My thinking is these parts should be painted or have some corrosion protection applied to them at the factory. I know they are hinged metal, but that definitely looks like something was missed from the plant IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I just looked at ours, and the metal is clean- not a bit of rust. Of course, we custom ordered, so we had it within a few weeks of it being built & it lives in a garage 90% of the time.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I just looked at ours, and the metal is clean- not a bit of rust. Of course, we custom ordered, so we had it within a few weeks of it being built & it lives in a garage 90% of the time.
The way Bonk talks he had some sunroof leaks and there was mositure present in the vehicle. Looks like his rust is minimal. This may also have something to do with the part of the country you live in. Here in Arizona there isn't a whole lot of moisture or humidity.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
jsimms said:
The way Bonk talks he had some sunroof leaks and there was moisture present in the vehicle. Looks like his rust is minimal. This may also have something to do with the part of the country you live in. Here in Arizona there isn't a whole lot of moisture or humidity.
Yes, I know- that area is one of my favorites for shopping for older cars and parts. I'm looking to buy a fender from Utah for one of my cars soon. I agree it has to be geographic related, but unfortunately the thread starter has chosen not to disclose their location.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The only good thing is it looks like surface rust; it could be removed if the hinges were removed from the vehicle and treated with a corrosion inhibitor. The way he talks all the Acadia's on the lot have this problem; the dealer should be fixing this problem.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just looked at my Acadia hinges (Delivered 30Nov07) and found no rust. An achievement in the Montreal area which is in the middle of the "rust belt". Possible considerations, sunroof leaks or other water incursions?
The Sunroof recalls have been accomplished although no leaks were evident. The Acadia lives in a nice warm garage ie 50F. Outside air temperature this morning is minus 30 degrees with the wind chill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the great responses. The dealer with a lot full of Acadias with this issue is located in Southern California, where I wouldn't expect moisture to be a problem. Granted, it rained a lot last month, but it's been dry and warm this last week. Humidity is typically low here (not Arizona low, but lower than most parts of the country). I am going to check another dealer today and will update the forum. If their hinges are clean, I'll notify the original dealer that they have an issue that needs correction.

P.S. I sure am glad I found this site!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
We're glad you're here; let us know what you find, this may be a localized problem with the Acadia's at that dealership

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I wouldn't think the Kullifornia climate would cause this problem. I got my '91 Dodge from the central part of the state and it was virtually rust free even after having sat outside for a while. I had looked at one in North GA that was 3 years older & it had a bunch of rust holes in it. I wonder if these vehicles were dealer trades from somewhere else or maybe had sat in another area for some time before arriving there?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I'm surprised they left exposed metal like this. Seems to be it should have been painted or at the least galvanized. ??? I don't think ours had any last time I cleaned it out, but I'll check again today.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I will be checking mine as well; no roof leaks and sunroof recall c/w

·
Registered
540 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I checked my 2009 today and no rust at all. Like Blue I also custom ordered the vehicle but it is not garage kept. Only 650 miles. We have had snow the last 30 days have been real wet. Also I have no sunroof.

Bobby

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just checked and no rust :thumb:

GeoHawk said:
I'm surprised they left exposed metal like this. Seems to be it should have been painted or at the least galvanized.
Geohawk, I am in total agreement. When you spend $40K+ for a car you shouldn't have to worry about
issues such as these. I plan on applying some WD-40 as a preventative.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The more that I think about it the seats are from a supplier so that leads me to believe that 1.) the seats were made and stored for a while in a warehouse that was subject to humidity or 2.) possibly raining when loading them in the truck and they were not covered properly. It's kind of like the luck of the draw of when and what seats get put in, we might get seats that were just made or maybe seats that have been sitting around for a while. It might explain alot if we knew what part of the country where the seat are made, but I also agree that there should be 0% rust on these at all, as Glass 1/2 full stated some WD-40 is in order. One would also think that if the seats came off the truck looking like this the factory QC should have cought it so maybe it did happen in the vehicle-- I guess that I just dont know for sure.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts