GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GMC Acadia - SLT - 3.6L
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I don't know if anyone has these running boards, but I just went through 2 months of pain and issue trying to get these and then trying to get them installed.

I have a 2018 GMC Acadia SLT-1 and I really wanted the GM running boards but they were too expensive so I opted for these aftermarket boards. After checking with Auto Anything to see if they were in stock (which they told me they were and they would ship in a few business days) I finally received them just about a month later. During that time frame I had multiple chat conversations to get shipping updates and spent a lot of time trying to get these updates.

After finally getting them I tried installing them (the brackets are supposed to be custom fit for all the vehicle filaments they offer) to my surprise they didn't fit. This lead to more chat discussions, emails with Auto Anything and Aries/Curt. Come to find out the instructions that they provided were backwards so I was trying to install the right bracket on the left side of the vehicle and the rear bracket for the front and vise versa. After sorting all of that out and trying again, the brackets still did not fit. After 2 weeks of discussing this with Aries/Curt I finally told them I had enough and to send me the info to send these back.

To my surprise they issued a field destroy and I ended up taking a sledgehammer to these things which seems like a total waste, but whatever got me my money back. Now after all that I wasted 2 months and ended up finding the GM running boards a lot cheaper than I did at the beginning of my search, but still $150 more than these aftermarket ones. Hopefully the ones made by GM fit like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
723 Posts
But, but.. it says perfect fit, guaranteed. :unsure:
Not surprised with fitment issues with so many models to try and fit running boards to (maybe yours work on the previous gen), but am a bit surprised at the destroy on site order. Pity.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Did you check the part number on what Auto Anything sent you with the correct part number on the Aries site?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you check the part number on what Auto Anything sent you with the correct part number on the Aries site?
Sure did and all of the filament details matched up exactly. Also sent photos of the model number to the manufacturer to have them confirm as well. Had multiple conversations with Auto Anything reps as well as well as a rep from the manufacturer. Exchanged pictures and everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
But, but.. it says perfect fit, guaranteed. :unsure:
Not surprised with fitment issues with so many models to try and fit running boards to (maybe yours work on the previous gen), but am a bit surprised at the destroy on site order. Pity.
When I talked to Aries directly they said that this should fit and alluded to that someone must have been drunk or something on the date that this was manufactured. Well...they didn't really say that, but that's what I'm going with.

I know, field destroy. I thought that was weird as well. They would rather take the loss and not pay for the shipping and restocking rather than see me sell and profit from just selling the boards. Now I have to find a way to fold these things up and fit them in the trash so I don't get charged by the city.

From one of my favorites
Q: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

A: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of crap. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

(mod edit, revised vulgar reference to fecal matter)

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think the field destroy is any numbers of things.
-The product did get shipped with incorrect parts, and they don't want their incorrect product getting sold down the line any further, taking yet more hits on their reputation. If they think their design is solid however, they perhaps should have sent you a new set of brackets.
-They don't trust that the fit is not happening, that you'll get a refund even though they fit just fine. Refunding without return or destroy can set a bad precedent.
-If they do have them shipped back (costly), and all is good, morally they have to sell your set as a used set. If all is not good, then they need to spend time figuring out why, and still have a used set on their hands. Value? Very little regardless.
G
P.S. Movie is? Forget it, found it; Tommy Boy

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don’t do it!! I have them and hate them. They cause dirt build up and you can’t get in or out of car without getting your leg dirty! My opinion, but I live on a gravel road 😳.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Don’t do it!! I have them and hate them. They cause dirt build up and you can’t get in or out of car without getting your leg dirty! My opinion, but I live on a gravel road 😳.
How does your leg get dirty? Never had any vehicle besides a car (and family minivan), real question. Step on, step off, no?
Where does the dirt build up? Do the factory running boards hug the body?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How does your leg get dirty? Never had any vehicle besides a car (and family minivan), real question. Step on, step off, no?
Where does the dirt build up? Do the factory running boards hug the body?
I’m just an average size guy but I do not step on it. Not only is the edge dirty but it causes extra buildup in rear door area.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thanks, food for thought. I'm considering steps... although likely will make them.
Reason I want them is exit, I feel like I'm going to eventually wear the seat bottom sides.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
I’m just an average size guy but I do not step on it. Not only is the edge dirty but it causes extra buildup in rear door area.
I'm tall enough that side steps on any vehicle I owned would only be for looks. They were on some of the livery SUVs I drove. I can't remember how many times I had to dust off my black trousers. Plus, I'd sometimes forget they were there and bang my shin getting into the vehicle. Dust and blood don't match very well with a black suit. ;)

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
255 Posts
Thanks, food for thought. I'm considering steps... although likely will make them.
Reason I want them is exit, I feel like I'm going to eventually wear the seat bottom sides.
AHH....I just noticed a pin hole tear in the driver seat I imagine from entrance and exit and I am beyond furious!! FIrst off What The Hell and secondly What The Hell! I can not believe the leather in these seats is that subpar that they are already beginning to fail. Even though it is barely noticeable I know its there and it’s driving me crazy. Any ideas or thoughts?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
AHH....I just noticed a pin hole tear in the driver seat I imagine from entrance and exit and I am beyond furious!! FIrst off What The Hell and secondly What The Hell! I can not believe the leather in these seats is that subpar that they are already beginning to fail. Even though it is barely noticeable I know its there and it’s driving me crazy. Any ideas or thoughts?
Is the pin hole tear near the rear edge of the seat? That seems to be happening in other cars and trucks as well with higher seat heights.
Mainly the driver side which often gets used more.
Sliding in and out with body weight on that edge stresses the seams.
The side of the seat seems to get creased and pinched there when weight is on it from upper leg and thigh when getting in and out.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Get steps, nerf bars, or something?
I've only got ~7K miles on mine, and already getting paranoid. Thus why I will likely build steps for it. I am just under 5'-10", but with shorter legs (31" inseam), little stubby's. So steps makes sense for me. I think.
My last 2 cars I had to repair the drivers seat on both, and at fairly low miles (around 40K miles).
How many miles on yours? Is it on a seam or smack dab in the leather somewhere?

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Is the 'pinhole' in the seating surface, or off to the side of it? Only the seating surface is real leather.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The pin hole is about 3/4 the way back from the front of the seat and Id say very close to center vertically. I will go snap a pic and upload when it stops raining. I flipped out when I saw it and my wife laughed at me. I told her she wont be laughing when half the seat is missing!

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
A picture would certainly help. LOL

·
Registered
723 Posts
The pin hole is about 3/4 the way back from the front of the seat and Id say very close to center vertically. I will go snap a pic and upload when it stops raining. I flipped out when I saw it and my wife laughed at me. I told her she wont be laughing when half the seat is missing!
Unless there's visible wear around it, I would think something poked the hole, not wear'n'tear.
No rain here for days, inching up on 100° temps

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Interesting. The picture will disclose more.

You could maybe try for a warranty coverage if it looks like a material failure unless the warranty is expired.
Some had this issue on the seat edge in the Chevy Colorado/Canyon and for some it was covered.

·
Registered
255 Posts
F7A4BD44-6956-4C51-9E77-3B1232C34574.jpeg

Sorry for the giant image but hey....theres the world smallest pin hole and it irritates the you know what out of me. It’s in the crease so I am under the assumption that its from getting in and out.

(mod edit: pic was made smaller and clickable so members can view it fullscreen with zoom in/out capabilty)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts