GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attitude Marylanders have about the impending doom of a a snow fall still makes me laugh. The mere mention of snow or ice crossing the Mississippi River creates this scenario every time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I understand your post. Back in 1967 I was stationed at Andrews AFB, Md.(right outside of Washington DC) I was being shipped to Vietnam so we were moving. My wife was flying to Texas with our daughter (they were going to live with her parents while I was gone) and I was driving with our dog.

A friend was coming to our house to take my wife to the airport. That morning there was 1/4" of snow and it completely shut down the traffic where our friend lived. I had to take my wife to the airport and then return to our house to pack the car and leave. Of course that totally ruined the planned schedule.

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I grew up in Pittsburgh. Got my learner's permit to drive in the dead of winter. My first lessons were how to handle snow travel in mother's '67 Malibu. Driving in snow and ice is almost second nature. That's why the air of doom and gloom about winter here makes me chuckle.

·
Super Moderator
19,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@GEORGEC, you should have been in the DC area a few years ago. The highway crew forgot to put salt in their brine sprayers and spread fresh water on part of the Beltway. They iced the highway really well! Carnage that morning was horrendous. Don't remember if anyone died, but a bunch were injured and a lot of sheet metal got bent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts