GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy i been i was changing my back breaks on 2013 gmc Acadia i have notice rubber seal on both breaks is out one more then other is this serious do i need new calipers? also noticed that driver breaks are almost all gone compare to passenger any suggestions? Now i think i been driving like this for long time with no problems i did try to push the rubber inside the caliper but its been there for so long that its retaining that shape and wont go back.

One last thing since i would like to save money and not call ae tow truck can i drive this car like this to he shoop its 1 mille away or i need a tow truck everything is put together new breaks new rotors just those rubber seals

I have uploaded a picture of the problems

thanks guys

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
Those seals are replaceable without the need to purchase an entire caliper. Replacement kits can be found at any reputable brake parts supplier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those seals are replaceable without the need to purchase an entire caliper. Replacement kits can be found at any reputable brake parts supplier.
How hard is to replace them? and is do they keep breal fluid from leaking because my seals are not good does it require break bleed? or they just keep dirt out?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
How hard is to replace them? and is do they keep breal fluid from leaking because my seals are not good does it require break bleed? or they just keep dirt out?
They're just dust seals - easy to replace. Problems occur if you find any fluid behind them. Then, it would require a caliper rebuild, or replacement.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If the driver's side is worn a lot more than the passenger side, you may have a frozen caliper. I would have those checked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
If the driver's side is worn a lot more than the passenger side, you may have a frozen caliper. I would have those checked.
hi yes actually driver side one that needs replacing is way more worn out plus caliper piston is hard to push in then passenger one when changing brakes. What would you recommend here just driver side caliper replacement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
922 Posts
hi yes actually driver side one that needs replacing is way more worn out plus caliper piston is hard to push in then passenger one when changing brakes. What would you recommend here just driver side caliper replacement?

Thanks.
I would do just the driver's side. Although if the caliper's are decently priced, you could always do both since you'll have to go through the trouble of bleeding the system anyway.

·
Super Moderator
19,657 Posts
I've always done to one side what I did to the other when it involved brake work. That was on every one of my personal vehicles, as well as my customer's. It never made any sense to fix only one side.

What you do is up to you. The best way to help make your decision is by taking apart the caliper you're going to replace and inspecting the inside of it. If it's corroded at all inside, consider the other side to be the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts