GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As soon as I got my acadia I noticed a transmission problem....sluggish and rough shifting points. I took it in for service and as expected they reprogramed the tranny computer. The receipt says tcm .k5364=70. It seemed to improve it about 50 percent but I am not still not happy with the lower gears. Its like the gears don't mesh well. When slowly accelerating each shift is a jolt...it hits second gear and their is jolt (enough to sometimes telegraph into my steering and cause it to move a bit) and a little reduction in speed before it smooths out. This happens for 3rd and 4th also. 5th and 6th seem smooth. What would cause the lower a problem with the lower gears but not the upper ones? The roughness of shifting gets worse when the air conditioner is on. It reminds me of driving an underpowered 4 cylinder vehicle.

I test drove the acadia before I bought one....I didn't notice the shifts. I thought maybe I am just listening for the shifts too much but 5 weeks later it still bothers me. My 11 yr old explorer's shifting was much smoother. (but the acadia's ride and acceleration is leaps and bounds better...very impressive) Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions.

Obviously I will return it to the service department of my dealer but it is such a new car...I am worried they won't have a clue. Btw....they didn't know what was causing that plopping sound on first shift. Readers of this forum know its the abs system.

Great Forum!

·
Registered
405 Posts
the difference between you ford (i hate fords) and the acadia is that it was a 4 speed and the acadia is a 6 speed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right but I am not talking about the frequency of shifts but rather the quality of the shifts. When I drive my dad's cadillac the shift points are smooth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
newz54 said:
As soon as I got my acadia I noticed a transmission problem....sluggish and rough shifting points. I took it in for service and as expected they reprogramed the tranny computer. The receipt says tcm .k5364=70. It seemed to improve it about 50 percent but I am not still not happy with the lower gears. Its like the gears don't mesh well. When slowly accelerating each shift is a jolt...it hits second gear and their is jolt (enough to sometimes telegraph into my steering and cause it to move a bit) and a little reduction in speed before it smooths out. This happens for 3rd and 4th also. 5th and 6th seem smooth. What would cause the lower a problem with the lower gears but not the upper ones? The roughness of shifting gets worse when the air conditioner is on. It reminds me of driving an underpowered 4 cylinder vehicle.

I test drove the acadia before I bought one....I didn't notice the shifts. I thought maybe I am just listening for the shifts too much but 5 weeks later it still bothers me. My 11 yr old explorer's shifting was much smoother. (but the acadia's ride and acceleration is leaps and bounds better...very impressive) Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions.
newz54,

I don't often hear about complaints on upshifts. They are usually always quite smooth. I can tell you that the update you received didn't affect the shifts at all, but the control of the Torque Converter coming on was improved. This might be the 50% improvement you noticed. The shifts do learn though so if you get a bad one, the pressure is adjusted to correct the bad shift.

You mention the shifts are worse with A/C on. What you might be feeling is an A/C bump and not a shift at all when the compressor cycles on and off.

I would give it a bit more time to "learn" since it sounds like you were just at the dealership, but if the problem continues, I would take it back in. It's not uncommon to get a bit of a firm shift from time to time, but if it's something that's there consistently, I would have it checked. You mentioned when you test drove an Acadia, you didn't notice the shifting. It should be the same with your vehicle too. That's not to say it doesn't shift often which you might notice, but in general those shifts usually feel pretty good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My transmission shifts smoothly enough but it does it waaaay too often. My previous car had a real motor with the torque to go with it and the wind and hills didn't bother it. I'll just have to be patient and learn to live with it. Only 800 miles so maybe the engine will free up a little and get better. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll wait a while to see if things improve.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Busy shifting at times - yes - jolts - no - that doesn't seem normal at all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
mikemu said:
Busy shifting at times - yes - jolts - no - that doesn't seem normal at all.
mine does not have jolts it just does not shift smooth like my rental, the rental also holds the gears a lot longer..

I have the latest flash on mine and was just curious is it possible to reflash the tranmission with the same software that I already have?in case something was not done right the first time, I asked the dealer and he said no? I am just wondering maybe something was done right the first time. Anyhow my rental also is just a tighter vehicle? and its only a base model mine is a SLT does that make a differance in the ride? mine is not so tight what could be wrong with mine? anyone please I am running out of ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure you will see this, this late in the discussion, but my 2008 AWD Acadia acted the exact sme way. I have been telling the dealership since I bought it. I was told it was reprogrammed, (with minor improvement) and they also told me some of this was because it was an AWD. Long story short, one week after another trip to the shop for this very problem, and routine tranny maintanence, my transmission went out completely while I was getting on the freeway. It is currently in the shop, I am told for a week or so, due to a "hard failure of the internal transmission." So.... good luck to you. I hope you fare better than I have.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
mine does not have jolts it just does not shift smooth like my rental, the rental also holds the gears a lot longer..

I have the latest flash on mine and was just curious is it possible to reflash the tranmission with the same software that I already have?in case something was not done right the first time, I asked the dealer and he said no? I am just wondering maybe something was done right the first time. Anyhow my rental also is just a tighter vehicle? and its only a base model mine is a SLT does that make a differance in the ride? mine is not so tight what could be wrong with mine? anyone please I am running out of ideas?
Mine was built in Oct-07 and I've never had any flashes performed because I have no issues with the shift patterns. I drive it easy and I have no need to go 0 -60 in 4 seconds if you know what I mean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts