GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did look through past posts but didn’t see any answers for this.
At start up the second the starter engages I hear what sounds like a link chain being dragged across sheet metal. It will start, the noise will stop then run smooth for 2 seconds, then miss a couple of random cylinders then smooth out.

This only happens during the winter months when the temp drops down to freezing. It is garaged overnight so in there the temp drops to the lower 40s
Last winter it was way worse, I didn't think that I would make it to summer when then I replaced the timing chains and guides.

All was good until it got cold again, it seemed to be similar to last year, checked the engine oil and it was down 1 quart. I felt that maybe the oil was draining down so I added 2 quarts making it too full (I know) which brings it to where it is now. When it’s low on oil the scrapping sound stays through the missing cycle.
Runs great after start up

I use NAPA Gold oil filter and Valvoline High Mileage 10W3
2011 GMC Acadia 3.6L AWD
Any ideas?
The car is too nice to scrap just yet

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
10W-30... wrong oil.
should be 5W-30.

I know people change the oil depending on the mileage of the engines,...
But these engines are very picky when it comes to oil.
Parts within the engine use the oil as a..... hydraulic fluid of sorts..... its no longer just to lubricate--- but these engines also use the oil to help cool the pistons.
Theres some oil squirters in the engine. And the oil is used for the timing chain etc.

If its not a typo- Id go back to 5W-30

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
10W-30... wrong oil.
should be 5W-30.

I know people change the oil depending on the mileage of the engines,...
But these engines are very picky when it comes to oil.
Parts within the engine use the oil as a..... hydraulic fluid of sorts..... its no longer just to lubricate--- but these engines also use the oil to help cool the pistons.
Theres some oil squirters in the engine. And the oil is used for the timing chain etc.

If its not a typo- Id go back to 5W-30
Not the wrong oil
5w30 is for northern climates where the Temps fall below freezing and stay there. If I were to park my vehicles outside here in lower Michigan 5w30 would be in, that is straight from Detroit where I went for GM training towards my world class technician status.

Engine oil has always lubricated timing chains and kept the internal Temps in check.
The only oil squirter that I'm aware of is in my lawnmower, not sure where you got that idea!

With over 200,000 miles on it I'm not putting a thinner synthetic oil that gets changed every 6 weeks

That and the inside looks clean to me so I must be doing something right

P.S. word on the street is that these engines are junk, since mine seems to run pretty strong I'm still in the fence. Just that noise!!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Not the wrong oil
5w30 is for northern climates where the Temps fall below freezing and stay there.
Can you point to some documentation that supports your claim that something other than 5w30 full synthetic should be used?

If you are a world class tech, why are you ASKING us questions instead of ANSWERING questions? :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not the wrong oil
5w30 is for northern climates where the Temps fall below freezing and stay there. If I were to park my vehicles outside here in lower Michigan 5w30 would be in, that is straight from Detroit where I went for GM training towards my world class technician status.

Engine oil has always lubricated timing chains and kept the internal Temps in check.
The only oil squirter that I'm aware of is in my lawnmower, not sure where you got that idea!

With over 200,000 miles on it I'm not putting a thinner synthetic oil that gets changed every 6 weeks

That and the inside looks clean to me so I must be doing something right

P.S. word on the street is that these engines are junk, since mine seems to run pretty strong I'm still in the fence. Just that noise!!!

Yeah, and GM went full synthetic Dexos in everything then just for S&Gs?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

5W-30 says the 2011 owners manual except for extreme cold, then 0W-30.
My first thought on reading the starting post, was this only in colder temps... maybe oil is too thick. But then I only did less than a year at post secondary auto mechanics, just a novice.

• Haha
Reactions: Luisitomx

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I would think 5w-30 in lower Michigan would be what is needed in winter. Or summer for that matter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you point to some documentation that supports your claim that something other than 5w30 full synthetic should be used? :)
Sure, owners manual!
5w30 - yes
Dexos - yes

Previous owner not so good, records that came with it showed poor change intervals with Dino oil
So that is what I stayed with as there are no oil leaks

My Corvette, another story
Switched back to full synthetic after replacing all the leaking seals

If you are a world class tech, why are you ASKING us questions instead of ANSWERING questions? :)
Good point!
Quit working in automotive in 2007
I'm not able to answer common problem questions if I don't see them.
Not alot of troubleshooting or repair techniques questions that I can contribute to.
A gut at work just bought an IROC Camaro
And having been at GM when they were new I have him lots of tips, 2020 Camaro? Never sat in one

You guys are good
Keep it up

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I am so confused...
Are you going to switch to 5W-30 or no?
You stayed with 10W-30 because the PO used it, even though the manual shows 5W-30?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would think 5w-30 in lower Michigan would be what is needed in winter. Or summer for that matter.
Or... any time. 5W-30 is Acadia manual spec, and between that and 0W-20 synthetic, those are pretty much the only oil types specified for modern GM vehicles.

I won't even let my lawnmower or generator run on 10W-30!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so confused...
Are you going to switch to 5W-30 or no?
You stayed with 10W-30 because the PO used it, even though the manual shows 5W-30?
Yep, didn't want it to start leaking oil

I won't even let my lawnmower or generator run on 10W-30!
I sure hope not!
Since you joined a discussion that turned out to be about oil that statement shows that you know little about the topic...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Yep, didn't want it to start leaking oil...
In GM training towards world class technician status class, do they mention using 10W-30 oil, even when going against their own recommendation (because the previous owner did)?
Do they discuss that specifically in cold weather a motor may not run properly or may make noise if using higher than recommended oil viscosity?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Everything in this thread indicates you are using the wrong oil but are reluctant to change to the correct oil.......

so how can we help?
And in his GM manual...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Since you joined a discussion that turned out to be about oil that statement shows that you know little about the topic...
Whatever. You'd think a "world class technician" in a vehicle whose early model years were known for sludge and timing chain issues due to oil habits would at least be using the oil specced in the manual.

You do you, man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything in this thread indicates you are using the wrong oil but are reluctant to change to the correct oil.......

so how can we help?
Reluctant?
This thread just started
Give a man a chance!
Life first, then an oil change
5w30 full synthetic, probably Valvoline
I plan on buying an AC Delco filter to eliminate that as well

My education started in the 70's and went through GM in the 80's and 90's so talking about the last 10 years for some is kinda new

Does anyone know why they went to 5 from 10?
Us old timers know!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
5W-30 vs. 10W-30
New motors are much tighter tolerances, smaller passages, etc. than in the days of yore.
FYI; I had an '04 Z06, it also called for 5W-30

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
When I was in the service up in Alaska back in the early 70's, if I got called out to the comm center for a repair or problem in winter (-30F to -40F or colder), there would be one key turn/chance to get the truck running. Even with a circulating block heater, battery blanket and plate warmer.. .. . with dino oil in the engine.
If it did start, it ran like a clothes dryer with rocks in it. The sound it made was horrendous. :D

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
5W-30 vs. 10W-30
New motors are much tighter tolerances, smaller passages, etc. than in the days of yore.
FYI; I had an '04 Z06, it also called for 5W-30
and to squeeze out that 1/4 mile per gallon better fuel mileage...... :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts