GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Acadia
Service stabilitrac, traction control and check engine light come on together whenever they want to for no certain reason then a very rough idle and smoke our the tailpipe. Ita happened a few times in the past 6 months normally if I turn it off and wait 15 min it clears up however this time it wont. Anyone with knowledge please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took it to the dealer they ran codes said it was a high pressure fuel pump so 1200.00 later I still have the same issue. Obviously wasnt that. We have read somewhere else of oil being in the air intake so we took it off and walla there is a puddle in there. Would this cause my problem? How is it getting in there? What do I do now?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Took it to the dealer they ran codes said it was a high pressure fuel pump so 1200.00 later I still have the same issue. Obviously wasnt that. We have read somewhere else of oil being in the air intake so we took it off and walla there is a puddle in there. Would this cause my problem? How is it getting in there? What do I do now?
If there is oil in the intake it likely built up over time. The PCV path which passes crankcase oil/water vapors back into the intake and then through the throttle body to be burned . . . may have deposits in the throttle body as well.
Suggest first taking the plastic air chamber off the engine, clean it out, and also have someone or get some Throttle Body (TB) cleaner and carefully spray and wipe the deposits out of the TB. Watch some Youtube on how to do this if you want.
There may be other issues as well, but at least a good place to start.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Oil is getting in there via PCV system. Some solve the issue by adding a catch can to capture the oil blow by, others treat it as a maintenance item and regularly clean out the puddle of oil. Over time it can cause performance issues.

Is the check engine light currently on? Have you had it scanned for the trouble codes triggering the check engine light?

·
Super Moderator
21,716 Posts
... others treat it as a maintenance item and regularly clean out the puddle of oil. ...
Others even add to that by cleaning the entire crankcase ventilation system.

Reactions: Melissaandmicheal

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
View attachment 11010
Catch can install. I get no oil in the tube. 2013 acadia.
I found the catch can helped also on our previous Equinox with the 3.6L LFX engine. I installed one the day after we picked it up new. Took it out when selling it so that any new owner who wasn't aware of it needing periodic emptying might have problems.
Glad the 3.6L LGX/LGZ engines have the integrated oil separator. No oil in the intake even after several years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't seen any oil in my throttle body or air filter box yet on a 2014. Knocks on wood

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Good to know. It is more common in cooler or humid weather and winter environments.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oil is getting in there via PCV system. Some solve the issue by adding a catch can to capture the oil blow by, others treat it as a maintenance item and regularly clean out the puddle of oil. Over time it can cause performance issues.

Is the check engine light currently on? Have you had it scanned for the trouble codes triggering the check engine light?
I posted the picture of the print out with the codes from the dealer below.

20210427_163406.jpg

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
interesting that they replaced the HPFP--- yet you found a puddle of oil in the intake hose.
I figured the tech would have removed hose- and dumped out the oil pooled up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting that they replaced the HPFP--- yet you found a puddle of oil in the intake hose.
I figured the tech would have removed hose- and dumped out the oil pooled up.
Exactly, he never even mentioned the oil in there we found that at home after the fact! Not saying the oil is the problem because i have no earthy clue but still that was never mentioned to us. I'm just so stumped at this point. We could literally replace 20 things and spend thousands more and still be in the same boat as now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 Acadia
Service stabilitrac, traction control and check engine light come on together whenever they want to for no certain reason then a very rough idle and smoke our the tailpipe. Ita happened a few times in the past 6 months normally if I turn it off and wait 15 min it clears up however this time it wont. Anyone with knowledge please help.
Had similar issue with my '13 Acadia also would cut engine to half power in middle of interstate (almost got me killed twice...) dealer where I bought it was useless, took it to a smaller dealer who got GM engineers involved - turns out there was "internal arcing in the fuse box (under the hood) " replaced fuse box ($400.00) ISSUE RESOLVED.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a similar problem a couple years ago. Rough idle, CEL, stabilitrak off, etc. Took it to a tech guy and he found one bad, fouled spark plug. Changed it and problem was solved. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts