GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have an 08 Acadia with 3400 miles, and the right front passenger's side rotor is extremely rusted. Is this normal? Would this be something covered under warranty? [The others are not rusted, by the way.]

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Rotor rust is normal, but the pads should clean the rotor surface area when the brakes are applied. Is the one wheel maybe getting wet from a sprinkler or some other source more than the others?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've owned Buick-Cadillac-Chevrolet-Chrysler-Ford-GMC-Oldsmobile-Pontiac and they all had some form of rotor rust.

·
Registered
423 Posts
No matter what, exposed metal will always rust, just this China junk steel rusts deeper.

·
Registered
487 Posts
jethrofl said:
Greetings. I have an 08 Acadia with 3400 miles, and the right front passenger's side rotor is extremely rusted. Is this normal? Would this be something covered under warranty? [The others are not rusted, by the way.]

Thanks for your help.
Where is the rust? On the friction surface or on other surfaces. If it is on the friction surface there could be a problem. The only reason you should get rust there is if your vehicle has been sitting for a few days and it's very humid or water is constantly hitting it. In Colorado it takes weeks for the friction surface to get rusty. If it is the other surfaces, that is completely normal.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I looked at a Monte Carlo front rotor on a co-workers car Friday morning, and in the 4 hours he had been at work his rotor had some surface spots of rust on the rotor already. He would have used the brakes at least four times between the highway and the parking lot, it's just that heavy rain we had all morning caused it. It's in his garage at night, and other (dry) days the rust isn't there.

Since the other rotors on your Acadia don't have the rust, have you noticed if that brake is working OK?
Is the pad clamping down enough? On the other hand, water usually gathers near the edge of the road so if you've had rain the right rotor would get wetter than the left rotor. Can you tell if the rust is pitting the rotor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts