GMC Acadia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Desertfox said:
I've looked at several websites and the soft shell luggage bags only have straps for the side rails. Why would you need the cross rails?
He said cargo box, not soft shell luggage bags - those you can just connect to the side rails!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips on installing roof rails - put mine on today, went pretty well. I just have a question, seems like you have to really tighten the tie down lock screw to keep the rails from moving. Also, would it be extra protection to tighten up the front screws once the rails are positioned to keep them in place?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
53 Posts
wriegel said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips on installing roof rails - put mine on today, went pretty well. I just have a question, seems like you have to really tighten the tie down lock screw to keep the rails from moving. Also, would it be extra protection to tighten up the front screws once the rails are positioned to keep them in place?

Thanks for the help.
I'm half-way through the rail installation as I type this and I have the exact same question: How tight should the front bolts be (the ones that get covered up by the top covers) and how much does the tightness of the tie-downs keep the rail from moving? On one side I've tightened the tie-down bolt as tight as I can (finger tight) and I can still move the bar backwards and forwards.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think the very top screw (torx) was the one that really locked things in place. I have had no trouble with mine moving. Do read posts on page 2 and 3 for lots of hints putting on the crossrails

·
Registered
53 Posts
I need to pass along my (hopefully) final experience in getting these rails on.

One of the Torx screws that go on top was defective. The tool doesn't quite fit into it. It's clearly not manufactured correctly.

I take it and the wrench to the dealer to get a replacement. They have to order an entire additional roof rail kit. When it arrives they'll open it up, then open the hardware kit, take out ONE BOLT, and give it to me.

Pretty high overhead way to get a bolt to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,
We just got our 2008 Acadia SLT-2 a couple weeks ago. We are going on a trip this coming Friday morning, and totally forgot about getting the cross rails. Any suggestions on where we can get them quickly, and if not, anything that would be compatible to get us through this one trip? We REALLY need to put the luggage on the roof!
We called our local dealer, but they said they wouldn't have them in time :(
:help:
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed roof cross rails pretty easily with the help from this forum. THANKS!! Read instructions carefully for these---the bolts that go through the tops need to be the torque bolts (the ones with the middle pillar) The screw in tighteners go in the side of the sliders. Also just purchased a Thule Ascent 1700 to go on the top and it fits like a charm expect for one thing----the 91" model covers the antennae so I had to unscrew it. I have the box all the way forward (without going over the edge of the windshield) On star still works as well as XM radio but regular terrestrial radio channels dont get picked up without it. The cargo box otherwise fits perfectly and looks great on top. I took it out for a run at highway speeds and had no shake, no pull and no wind noise. Looking forward to a long trip!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just installed the cross rails and it appears they have resolved the confusion with the screws. The top screws were larger than the other screws. ie, 4 larger torx screws for the top. 4 smaller torx screws for the side screws and then the 4 tightening screws with the tie down feature. I hate to say it but I was so prepared for confusing screws from the information that I thought I was missing something. Evendently they had received complaints or something causing a rewrite of the directions and a different setup with the screws. It was a very easy install. 20 minutes at the most. I definately recommend doing it yourself to avoid the install charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I can install these myself...only problem is..i cant get the covers off...inserted the screwdriver, moved left right, up, down, side ways...no luck, cover isn't moving! any advice help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
752 Posts
On 07's and 0'8 when the screwdriver (or nail) is inserted you push directly in and slide the top at the same time. I have a vague recollection of somebody saying that this was changed in the 09's. read through all the posts on roof rails to get more info.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
gmloyalist said:
... One of the Torx screws that go on top was defective. .... They have to order an entire additional roof rail kit. When it arrives ..., take out ONE BOLT, and give it to me.

Pretty high overhead way to get a bolt to me.
Sounds to me that the parts dept. clerk didn't know how to order fastening hardware. I bet if that dealer had a good body shop component, the clerk could have found exactly what you needed and nothing more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for chiming in guys....this is such a PITA. thanks sandman Ive' read the other threads and discovered there is a difference in the 09, versus previous years. The '09's are supposed to be different, no release pin, just supposed to snap off/on. Well, so far I've tried both methods, screwdrivers (flat head, philips, big/small) to no avail. I went to the dealership this morning and according to the instructions he gave me, they are supposed to snap off. However, these instructions say you must take off the front and the back covers! Furthermore, he suggested i get them to do it. I declined his offer (as it was a charge) and asked again if he could show me how its done. He didn't. I cant believe this is such a PITA. I've posted a pic here. The screw driver is inserted about 1 and 1/2 inches. I don't feel a pin to depress, just hard plastic and when I press further, there is solid resistance, so it seems its the 09 design alright. Problem is when I try to pry off the covers by exerting pressure, with lets say, a flat head, I'm afraid I'll break a fastening clasp or something. Do the rest of u guys with 09's have that lip/indent on each of the four covers? This such a poor design for what should be a simple procedure. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
They pry off. I was a bit afraid I'd break one, but I didn't. I worked outside and inside with a screwdriver and they came off. I only took the back ones off.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.