41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Excellent to hear! Thanks.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I haven't heard any wind noise either. However, the directions make it sound like you could if you mounted them to close together. One note about the rails - they are two different lengths. One is slightly longer to fit the back part. The front one was adjustable for maybe an inch or two. I don't think I could adjust the back.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got 2 thrown in on my purchase...just waiting for car and roof rails. ::)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
I believe our Yakima set may be headed to Goodwill since it can't be used on our convertible!
Sell them on eBay so you can off set cost for your new rails!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just finished putting on my roof rails. Sandman's "helpful hints" above were indeed very helpful, and saved me time, but perhaps I can fine tune them somewhat. I plagerized his instructions with a few edits (in CAPS).

"OK, got them installed. If I had to do it again - probably could do it in half hour or less. TRUE. Took me considerably longer first time. ALSO TRUE
Main thing - screws are different. The torx head go on the top. (they look just like the other ones except they have a little stud in the middle that prevents you from using a regular star drive - guess who didn't notice this until the front ones were on and I had to start over). THANKS TO SANDMAN I GOT THIS RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. The tie downs go inside (not top) and in the back holes.
To remove the rear cover - once the screw driver is inside the hole- push it IN towards the center OUTSIDE of the car. The directions say depress. I kept pushing down, nope its "in". YEP, PUSH IN TOWARDS THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAR. You have to do the same thing when you slide the rear cover back on. THE COVER SLIDES BACK TOWARD THE REAR. By the way, you could easily hide a key under the rear covers.
There is definately a front and rear crossrail (slightly different lengths). THE FRONT ONE WAS THE LONGER ONE.
The tap plates kinda seem to fit only one way. So if the hole doesn't line up - flip it over. If that doesn't work, try another one. THEY ARE TIGHT TO SCREW IN, BUT I BELIEVE THAT IS BY DESIGN SINCE YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO MAKE THEM REAL TIGHT.
Think thats about it. Do read directions carefully".

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too thank you all for the installation advice. My own experience with the installation went well because of the information above. I too discovered removing the end rail covers was challenging. I found the covers can be reinstalled by simply sliding them foward. I also found one of the nut plate difficult to install. It did not line up well with the hole so the screw was not centered for easy installation. Otherwise the rails look great and add to the over look. I got them because there was a real chance at using them and I did not want to scrath the sunroof glass by putting something directly on top.

It looks like the roof rail system is pretty light weight. Like much of the vehicle it is mostly plastic. Not sure what weight load it is rated for! We will see how it holds up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Roof rails were the easiest aftermarket install I've ever done. Took my son and I less than 10 minutes.

I didn't find the side rail cover to be diffcult to remove. You can feel the spring release when you push in the screwdriver in the hole on the inside of the siderail, and they slid, and popped off. Just get a good grip on it and give a good pull backwards.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good show. We seem to now have this job down pat. Now, if replacing a parking light bulb was only that easy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is the first topic i went to before we took home our acadia (got it 4/24 ). thanks for the info dudes!

funny thing is our sales guy told me the price was $245.00 installed for the roof rails. i laughed and told him about this site and that the retail price you guys got it for was only $189.00 self install. which didn't look too complicated based on the posts here. since he owed me a favor for messing up our deal the first time. he went to the parts dept with me and hook me up with his 30% employee discount off of $189 retail price.

Hats off to all of you for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the cross bars myself at home. It took about 20 minutes and is easy to do. The even come with the special allen wrench to tighten them down. Surprisingly they make no wind noise when driving with them. I purchased that at my local dealer for $180. Directions came with the cross bars, making them easy to install.

·
Registered
148 Posts
They are on www.gmpartsdirect.com for $155 if anybody is interested. I am contemplating whether I want them or not, still haven't made the decision. I really don't plan on ever putting anything on the roof but if for some reason I have to I need to have some roof rails there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just installed my roof rails. Took about 20 minutes to do solo, not including time to open the box, check parts, and read this Forum thread. The info contained here was very helpful! Thanks to all of you.

My notes:
The instructions are not well written, or at best not thorough. The graphics are ok, but the text isn't all that clear.
You do not need to use a screwdriver to unlatch the rear part of the roof rail cover. I used the torx wrench that came with the kit. Yes, per the earlier posting, you just push in, not down.
You do not need a #6 torx screwdriver for the 4 top screws to attach the top plates. The torx wrench that came with the kit does it all.
Yes, the 8 screws are confusing without reading this thread. Also, the 4 screws you use first that are regular hex heads have a rust/orange coating on the ends of the thread. The remaining 4 torx head screws are plain.

So other than a stepstool/stepladder to get to the roof of Alice Acadia and a plastic bag to put the instructions and the torx wrench that came with the cross rail set, no additional tools were necessary after opening the box.

I would recommend that you buy the cross rail set and install yourself and save the dealer labor charge/profit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got some rails from the dealer. I went to install them and they are too big. The smaller rail won't slide back past the 2nd moon roof. The larger rail (38" + inches long) wont fit in the 36" gap between the widest part of the rails.

My initial thought is that that 2008 might be narrower than the 2007 and the parts list isn't updated yet....or I just got the wrong part.

Did the part change, or did the dealer mess up?

The part number on the web shows 12499868, but the instructions that came with the rails show the part number as 19159818.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
752 Posts
sandman said:
I haven't heard any wind noise either. However, the directions make it sound like you could if you mounted them to close together. One note about the rails - they are two different lengths. One is slightly longer to fit the back part. The front one was adjustable for maybe an inch or two. I don't think I could adjust the back.
I am fairly sure (but its been awhile), that I was able to adjust the front one. The second one (smaller one) definately won't slide too far forewards. As I said in the quote, I'm not sure if it was adjustable. I think its made so that it won't come too far foreward. Try and adjust the front one. I'll measure mine, if yours won't adjust.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need some sort of cross rails, either the factory ones or a set of aftermarket rails to attach a cargo carrier - there is not way to directly attach to the roof rails.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you don't have the cross rails, the full weight of the cargo would rest directly on the roof rather than through the rails that put that weight bearing in the proper place. In addition, this would severely mar and damage the roof finish. By using the rails this enables the rails to be moved close enough together to support small or large loads. Hope this Helps.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.