GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I ordered roof rails through my dealer. They are in and I hope to pick them up in a couple of days. I can post pics if anybody interested

·
Registered
752 Posts
:banghead: Dang, (love the new icons, this one is so perfect) took my car in for all the recall stuff (4 of them), got a free car wash and was so excited to pick it back up - I forgot to pick up the roof rails. Hope to get over there Sat. They are supposed to come with directions. I'll let you know what I get.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Here is the pic of the roof rails. They look quite sturdy. Should be easy to install. That's the next project.

·
Registered
752 Posts
From taking a quick look at the instructions - I would say they are infinitely adjustible. Note, there are no holes in the track. They will slide and kinda clamp into place. The things at the end are tie down posts for bungee cords or whatever. Hopefully, I can get them on today. Although, I think its a tab bit more complicated then I first thought.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Roof Rails installation

OK, got them installed. If I had to do it again - probably could do it in half hour or less. Took me considerably longer first time.
Main thing - screws are different. The torx head go on the top. (they look just like the other ones except they have a little stud in the middle that prevents you from using a regular star drive - guess who didn't notice this until the front ones were on and I had to start over). The tie downs go inside (not top) and in the back holes.
To remove the rear cover - once the screw driver is inside the hole- push it towards the center of the car. The directions say depress. I kept pushing down, nope its "in". You have to do the same thing when you slide the rear cover back on. By the way, you could easily hide a key under the rear covers.
There is definately a front and rear crossrail (slightly different lengths).
The tap plates kinda seem to fit only one way. So if the hole doesn't line up - flip it over. If that doesn't work, try another one.
Think thats about it. Do read directions carefully.
Will try to get some pictures up in a couple of days. I'm kinda tired of looking at the car right now
Think I will start a new post on installing roof rails just in case people are not scrolling to the end of this one

·
Registered
752 Posts
Nice pics Kelly. Glad to know that it looks just like mine (except your car is a lot shinier then mine - what did you put on it?). And yes, you can slide those suckers anywhere, but they recommend that they be at least 14 inches apart for wind noise reduction.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hopefully it will snow like crazy and you can check out the handling ...and the heated seats...and the fog lights...and..

·
Registered
752 Posts
Haven't noticed the noise yet. If you kept the tool that comes with the rails, they will come off fairly easily. I hope the dealer gave KJF, the tool cause those top screws are put on so nobody can easily steal your rails. And I not sure that tool can easily be found.
Second thought, the one side (front) screw was a minor pain to get in. It might be easier to losen the top screw, losen the tie down screw, and then release the rear cover and slide the whole thing off. The front screw doesn't have to really be touched.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I haven't heard any wind noise either. However, the directions make it sound like you could if you mounted them to close together. One note about the rails - they are two different lengths. One is slightly longer to fit the back part. The front one was adjustable for maybe an inch or two. I don't think I could adjust the back.

·
Registered
752 Posts
sandman said:
I haven't heard any wind noise either. However, the directions make it sound like you could if you mounted them to close together. One note about the rails - they are two different lengths. One is slightly longer to fit the back part. The front one was adjustable for maybe an inch or two. I don't think I could adjust the back.
I am fairly sure (but its been awhile), that I was able to adjust the front one. The second one (smaller one) definately won't slide too far forewards. As I said in the quote, I'm not sure if it was adjustable. I think its made so that it won't come too far foreward. Try and adjust the front one. I'll measure mine, if yours won't adjust.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think the very top screw (torx) was the one that really locked things in place. I have had no trouble with mine moving. Do read posts on page 2 and 3 for lots of hints putting on the crossrails

·
Registered
752 Posts
On 07's and 0'8 when the screwdriver (or nail) is inserted you push directly in and slide the top at the same time. I have a vague recollection of somebody saying that this was changed in the 09's. read through all the posts on roof rails to get more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.