GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got them.

What do you do with them? :-\
I didnt see anything in the book about them. There are no cross bars to set anything on like all the other vehicles I have owned.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm suspecting that my Yakima crossbars and anchors that have a fairly univeral roof rail attachment will work. I have used the same crossbars first on a '92 Honda wagon (different attachments as there were no roof rails). They worked on my Audi A6 Avant wagon with roof rail anchors and I use them on my 01 Audi Allroad. The Acadia is wider than the Allroad, but the shape of the roof rail where one would attach bars is pretty similar. Expect it would be the same for a Thule crossbar set as well.

It's worth noting that when you buy factory crossbars often they attach only in one location and can't be moved up or down (or back and forth, depending on how you visualize things) the top of the vehicle to place proper spread on the load.

I just need to make up my mind on which Acadia to order!

·
Registered
143 Posts
readyforacadia said:
I'm suspecting that my Yakima crossbars and anchors that have a fairly univeral roof rail attachment will work. I have used the same crossbars first on a '92 Honda wagon (different attachments as there were no roof rails). They worked on my Audi A6 Avant wagon with roof rail anchors and I use them on my 01 Audi Allroad. The Acadia is wider than the Allroad, but the shape of the roof rail where one would attach bars is pretty similar. Expect it would be the same for a Thule crossbar set as well.
ReadyForAcadia... I'm curious if you've tried your Yakima crossbars yet. I currently have Yakima's on my Pilot and am wondering if they will fit my Acadia once I get it. Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone bought the Roof Rails from a GM accessories supplier and installed them yourself?

Wondering what is involved to install them as opposed to paying the dealership...I'm thinking it cannot be that tough.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Acustk5 said:
readyforacadia said:
ReadyForAcadia... I'm curious if you've tried your Yakima crossbars yet. I currently have Yakima's on my Pilot and am wondering if they will fit my Acadia once I get it. Thanks.
Sorry, I have not tried them. Looks like they will fit but I don't know whether the anchors will work as the Acadia's rails are bigger. The spread between the Acadia bars is 36" and on the Audi is 38". There was a good 3-4" on each side of ours on the Audi once anchored in place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Thule setup that I use on a '99 Audi A6 Avant as well and there's NO WAY that the crossrails I have are going to work on the Acadia...The roof rails are way too thick for my mounts. Also I noticed that the GM crossrails will actually mount on the inside of the rails all the way to the back if you need to adjust them. If you look at the inboard side of the rails you'll see that the slot for crossrails goes well past the open section of each rail so you can actually have a crossrail in the area where the roof rail mounts to the body. I use a Thule Weekender box and the mounting points on the box are further apart than the "open" section of the rail is...Thule told me they're working on mounts for this vehicle although I noticed that some (maybe all?) of the rack parts from GM have Thule on them now. GM probably wanted to have an exclusive on them for now

·
Registered
619 Posts
You're right Markyb.
The Yakima or Thule rails will fit across, but I had my doubts about whether the anchors would fit as they rails are so thick. I hadn't commented on the fact that the GM parts rails would move further forward and further back inside the tracks, but you're right about that too.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
markyb said:
I have a Thule setup that I use on a '99 Audi A6 Avant as well and there's NO WAY that the crossrails I have are going to work on the Acadia...The roof rails are way too thick for my mounts. Also I noticed that the GM crossrails will actually mount on the inside of the rails all the way to the back if you need to adjust them. If you look at the inboard side of the rails you'll see that the slot for crossrails goes well past the open section of each rail so you can actually have a crossrail in the area where the roof rail mounts to the body. I use a Thule Weekender box and the mounting points on the box are further apart than the "open" section of the rail is...Thule told me they're working on mounts for this vehicle although I noticed that some (maybe all?) of the rack parts from GM have Thule on them now. GM probably wanted to have an exclusive on them for now
marykb, I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are saying. Do you mean front-to-back or side-to-side? I have a Thule Evolution 1600 box and am waiting for my Acadia. I ordered the Acadia roof cross rails, and hope I can use my box without modification.

Kelly

·
Registered
794 Posts
I ordered roof rails through my dealer. They are in and I hope to pick them up in a couple of days. I can post pics if anybody interested

·
Registered
143 Posts
sandman said:
I ordered roof rails through my dealer. They are in and I hope to pick them up in a couple of days. I can post pics if anybody interested
Yes, pics would be good. Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Please post pics...also a quick note about what is involved in installing the rails would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
kjf,

MY thoughts are that the side-to-side (cross-rails) from my thule setup won't fit the front-to-back rails of the Acadia due to their thickness. I'm not sure about the Thule box mounting brackets fitting the GM crossrails but it looks like that would work. I measured the front to back distance on the box mounts and they were definitely farther apart than the dimension of the "open" section of rail on the Acadia...looks like I'll order GM cross-rails and see if my box fits them...

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Picking my rails up Saturday and hope to order the box soon

·
Registered
794 Posts
:banghead: Dang, (love the new icons, this one is so perfect) took my car in for all the recall stuff (4 of them), got a free car wash and was so excited to pick it back up - I forgot to pick up the roof rails. Hope to get over there Sat. They are supposed to come with directions. I'll let you know what I get.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Here is the pic of the roof rails. They look quite sturdy. Should be easy to install. That's the next project.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
sandman said:
Here is the pic of the roof rails. They look quite sturdy. Should be easy to install. That's the next project.
Did they come with instructions? Mine should be here on Monday.

Kelly

·
Registered
90 Posts
They look exactly like the rails on my Equinox? If so, they are not infinitely adjustable, they lock into holes spaced along the track.

·
Registered
619 Posts
sandman said:
Looking forward to see pics of them installed. Please post whether they are infinitely adjustable back and forth, or they have to click into certain spots. Maybe several pics if you can manage.

On each end, are those locks (the round silver button looking item) or release buttons to enable sliding back and forth? Can one person adjust, or does it take one on each side of the vehicle?

Also, what's the GM accessories part number so we can compare prices at dealers and other vendors? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts