GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the cross bars. I know it has been mentioned here but for the life of me I did not find a thread devoted to the topic, so here I am, looking for input on selecting a cargo box for the roof. We plan on putting several people in the Acadia this weekend with their overnight luggage. My wife and son and I will have our stuff in the way back and I am anticipating the need for overhead storage. Any do's or don'ts would be appreciated. If there is one particular box you favor I would be interested in knowing which one and why.

Also, I was wondering the degree of difficulty in putting on the cross bars, and any procedural advise if there is any.

Thanks in advance, Dan

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKYOU!!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Its a T - 25. It came with the roof rails. I don't know if they are all hallow in middle, but you need that for the two top screws.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sandman said:
Its a T - 25. It came with the roof rails. I don't know if they are all hallow in middle, but you need that for the two top screws.

After I picked up the rails from my dealer I needed to get the special tool so I had Solomon my parts guy cut the tape on the box so I could get an example of the Torx screw so I would be sure to get the right tool. Since I was quite a ways from home I didn't know the area very well so I had Onstar send me directions to the nearest auto parts store. That was COOL! So I get there and get the tools I need and then tell the guy to wait and I'll check the instructions to make sure I have all the tools I need. I go back out to the car and look in the bag of stuff and lo and behold they were nice enough to include a giveaway Torx head driver with the rails. Since I had about an hour to kill before I picked up my wife from the bus station and I didn't want to be up all night before our trip this morning, I decided to install the rails in the parking lot at the parts store. Just as I was lamenting my lack of time and wishing I had someone to help me figure out the instructions (they are not that hard, just specific) Here comes SOLOMON the parts guy from the dealer. I was about six miles from where I last saw him, and he walks up to me and says "hi Dan" I was like YAHOO!! Solomon you came to help me? He said sure I'll help you. So he stayed with me until I got the rails installed and I mad my appointment right on time. Even though I forgot to put the little metal things in the blocks BEFORE I started step two and had to almost start completely over. I just want to say that my new dealer and the people that work there are REALLY nice folks, and Solomon wins this months award for going beyond the call of duty. I think I will call his boss and tell him what he did for me. I can't imagine there are too many people that put in a full day at work and then will put in an extra half hour on the side of the road basically, and do it with a smile and a hand shake like he did. That was terrific!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is the rack I got.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also got this for when we have extra luggage and the third row of seats filled with people.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dan, Does the Yakima rack mount easily tothe cross rails? Can it be easily removed when not in use?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tschmut said:
Dan, Does the Yakima rack mount easily tothe cross rails? Can it be easily removed when not in use?
No it's pretty easy. I can give a better response later. But it comes off in under 10 minutes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Today I called the dealership's parts department to order a set of cross rails. They said that there were three kinds to choose from. Basic black, aluminum or anodized. The basic black rails were less than half the price of the aluminum and the anodized. Surprisingly they could not tell me what anything about the anodized rails.

Can anyone confirm if they are in fact black? Can anyone give an opinion as to whether the anodized rails are worth double the basic set.

Three week back order, regardless of what I order.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Secam said:
Today I called the dealership's parts department to order a set of cross rails. They said that there were three kinds to choose from. Basic black, aluminum or anodized. The basic black rails were less than half the price of the aluminum and the anodized. Surprisingly they could not tell me what anything about the anodized rails.

Can anyone confirm if they are in fact black? Can anyone give an opinion as to whether the anodized rails are worth double the basic set.

Three week back order, regardless of what I order.
What were the prices quoted?

There is only one shown on the GMC Accessory website and it lists for $189 USD.

Are the black ones under $100? Or are the fancier ones in the $300-400 range? I don't really understand why they cost so much, considering GM rails for a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburaban are $45.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Prices quoted are in Canadian, which tend to be 25% higher than US. I got quoted $82 for basic rails. $180 for aluminum and $183 for anodized. I too cannot find any mention anywhere that I have a choice in rails. But, that's what the dealer is telling me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was never mentioned to me there was a choice of rails. The ones I got are black composite with rubber on the tops. They were about $190 from the dealer.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also an update on the Thule Cargo Bag. It worked great in conjunction with the Yakima rack. The wind noise was quite noticeable but not too bad. The rack all by itself was very quiet. It added about seven inches to the height of the vehicle so it needed to come off to put the Acadia back in the garage. I have 1967 model garage doors that hang down quite a bit so I plan on replacing them and will then be able to keep the rack on as long as I want to.

Also I went with a shorter rack, 45 inches long. You can use the larger version but would loose both sunroofs so that is a consideration. I definitely would set the rack you want up on the rails and carefully look to see that it fits correctly before buying it, or driving with it. As I said in the above post the rails taper in as they move toward the back of the vehicle so you need to make sure the rack (like one I have) fits between the brackets on ends of the rails. All in all it made a trip with four adults and one child with their luggage possible. And quite easy I might add. The cargo bag was especially nice for keeping the bugs and rain off the luggage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool, thanks for the update. :thumb: (Gotta love the internet) I know we'll be putting luggage up on top, but my wife and are concerned about scratching up the 2nd sunroof with a luggage bag (what we currently use). I like the idea of the rail box, seems like it will keep the luggage off the top.

Is the Thule bag good quality? I've got a cheap Target bag that has lasted us about 5yrs, but the inside lining is shredding. So I probably need a new one anyway. Is the "tie down" system pretty good with the Thule? I'd be very interested in your opinions.

My wife is gonna kill me after spending $$$$$ for a new car, then $$ for new accessories. Oh well.

Kent

1 - 20 of 59 Posts