GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of my roof rack has fallen off. It is a chrome piece (it's actually plastic but looks like chrome) on the rear of the passenger side roof rack. About 8 inches long and curves downward towards the roof. It looks like it is there to give access to be able to add crossbars. A few weeks ago when I was washing the Acadia this part completely came off as I ran a towel across it. It just slides into place so I put it back. Last night my wife pulls in the driveway and the part is gone altogether (she doesn't remember hearing it fall off).

Anyone else noticed this part being loose? This should be covered by warranty, correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I installed the cross rails I noticed the right side did not go on smoothly and fell back off. I've been lucky so far although I think it's just a matter of time before it falls off while I'm driving. Will bring this to the attention of the service rep. during my next visit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The part you are talking about should lock securely into place. The hole on the inside of the cover is for releasing the catch mechanism. It may be possible that yours was not working properly in the first place, or it just was not attached correctly. Then when it came off wile you were washing it, it was not reinstalled all the way until it locks into place. I would think that when you get a replacement they will be able to tell if yours is defective at the mechanism that holds it into place. If that is the case then they should give you a new one. It is also possible that the cover was damaged. The clips on the underside are plastic. It may have been damaged from the get go. If it was the cover that was damaged you may be hard pressed to convince them it was faulty without the part.

They do slide a little in the track, but they should be secure if they are installed correctly. I have removed mine to install the cross bars and it is a little tricky getting them to lock into place the way they are intended to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Against my better judgement i took my Outlook through a drive through car wash that had those big rollers. After i drove through, I got out and inspected the car, i was mostly concerned about the antenna being ripped off. When I was checking out the antenna i noticed this exact part had been knocked off while the car was being washed. Luckily I walked back into the carwash and found the piece and snapped it back in, so far it hasn't fall off again ....yet.

No more drive through roller carwashes for me....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer is going to order the part from me under warranty. He said it was most likely a bad part. We will see when the new one comes in if it snaps into place or just slides around like the old one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
pepsikid said:
Against my better judgement i took my Outlook through a drive through car wash that had those big rollers. After i drove through, I got out and inspected the car, i was mostly concerned about the antenna being ripped off. When I was checking out the antenna i noticed this exact part had been knocked off while the car was being washed. Luckily I walked back into the carwash and found the piece and snapped it back in, so far it hasn't fall off again ....yet.

No more drive through roller carwashes for me....
Yeah, advise to everyone: avoid the "roller" carwashes. All the grime from the guy offroading who was in the wash before you is on the rollers, being ground into your paint.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I noticed the same problem after I installed my roof rack rails. No matter how I tried to put these end caps back on, they were very loose. My solution for now... I jammed some strips of cardboard in back of the metal clip. Now when I put the end caps on, it locks solidly into place. I've had it like this for a month now, no problems. I'll have to show this to the dealer on my next visit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am struggling to figure out how to order this very part to replace my randomly missing one. I am hoping someone from this thread had some luck finding maybe a part number or link to where to find it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
toasteroven said:
Yeah, advise to everyone: avoid the "roller" carwashes. All the grime from the guy offroading who was in the wash before you is on the rollers, being ground into your paint.
Not true, that's why they have people spraying off your vehicle and brushing off the front and rear to get off all the crud before it goes thru.  I worked at a car wash back in 1991 and it's called "prep" or the people were called "preppers".  Once in a great while, someone would drive up that looked like their car wasn't even dirty, and we would just "send it" but no, if there was a truck that came in with mud all over it, no way would it not be totally sprayed off.

(but I would avoid the ones that have top rollers)

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
09Enclave said:
Not true, that's why they have people spraying off your vehicle and brushing off the front and rear to get off all the crud before it goes thru. I worked at a car wash back in 1991 and it's called "prep" or the people were called "preppers". Once in a great while, someone would drive up that looked like their car wasn't even dirty, and we would just "send it" but no, if there was a truck that came in with mud all over it, no way would it not be totally sprayed off.

(but I would avoid the ones that have top rollers)
The Roller washes around here do not have attendants, just pay at the gas station, they give you an access code, and you enter it on the way in. Move forward until the conveyor grabs your wheels and travel through the wash.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Nvr2loud said:
The Roller washes around here do not have attendants, just pay at the gas station, they give you an access code, and you enter it on the way in. Move forward until the conveyor grabs your wheels and travel through the wash.
OK, got you.  ;)  I was thinking they just meant regular car washes, but true....those ones you just drive in at the gas station....I would pass on as well.  They do seem to beat up the vehicle with the rotating upper spinners.  Just make sure that if you DO try an automatic gas station wash, don't do this:

FunnyFuse Faves: Car Wash Special

:facepalm:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Dang, this is the second time one of my pieces randonmly fell off. :angryfire: This is terrible, GM should replace them for customers for free since the part is obviously deffective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.