GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up the cross rail bars for the roof rack. The instructions describe inserting a screwdriver into the inner facing holes to release the rear chrome trim pieces. Am I supposed to just push the screwdriver in until trim pieces snap out of place or does it require a particular angle. I really don't want to use too much force and possibly crack any type of retainer clip within. Thanks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I recall correctly, you're pushing in on a metal tab. So, unlikely that it will break. The metal tab keeps the trim piece from slide rearward. Once pushed in, the trim piece will slide off easily.

When I removed my first trim piece to install my roof rack, I almost fell off the stool because I was pulling the trim piece harder then I was pushing the tab. When it released, I lost my balance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I gave up! I fumbled with the srew driver for about 20 minutes to no avail... I was waiting for the screw driver to come through the other side and impail me in the chest. I took it back to the dealer and had them install them for $40... Not worth the hassel. The funny part was that my dealer had never installed the rails either and asked me if I had the instructions... I guess they figured it out. Nice bars though no wind noise at all, I was alittle worried they were going to whistle in the wind.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Mine installed as per instructions, someone just posted recently about installing them
and it sounded like they installed differently than originally designed.
They may have changed the way the rails install.

Anyone more informed on this?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
If you do a search I think you'll find there's some pretty detailed info here about roof rack rail installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually found some informative tips on installing the cross bars. Spent some good time again on trying to remove the chrome caps but to no avail. I'd like to avoid damaging the inner clip mechanism. Someone posted that the caps didn't quite fit right after installation. Another claimed he even lost one once. I'll give it another shot in the AM but another failed attempt will result in a trip to the dealer. Need to have them installed by the weekend for a roadtrip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The AM came and time was running out until weekend road trip. Made an appointment with dealer to have the rails installed and also splurged for the chrome running bars. Picked up the front molded splash guards (Rears weren't in stock) I'll install the guards myself. Then I'll basically have the sport package. The running bars look amazing. They're also available in black, but I figured the chrome would accent the carbon black metallic nicely

·
Registered
79 Posts
85 Cranking Amps said:
The AM came and time was running out until weekend road trip. Made an appointment with dealer to have the rails installed and also splurged for the chrome running bars. Picked up the front molded splash guards (Rears weren't in stock) I'll install the guards myself. Then I'll basically have the sport package. The running bars look amazing. They're also available in black, but I figured the chrome would accent the carbon black metallic nicely
Pics please... Anyone have a Red Jewel with the crome step bars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts