GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best roof rack cross rails for the Acadia? I will be carrying two light kayak's and most likely nothing else. GM or aftermarket? Thanks.

·
Registered
381 Posts
GM roof rack cross bars will work for the weight. The question is what third party attachments support the kayak accessory-to-GM Cross bars.

I suspect Yakima and/or Thule would work since the cross-bar concept is not new. I suspect you just have to have the right cross-bar attachment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
big bear craig said:
What are the best roof rack cross rails for the Acadia? I will be carrying two light kayak's and most likely nothing else. GM or aftermarket? Thanks.
i ordered the rack from gmaccesoriesstore.com for 151.55, and im planning to use a thule atlantis 1600 for my trip. i'll let you know when i get everything installed and ready to go ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
[got eveything installed this week. roof rack rails and also the running boards, i was surprised it was really easy to get it done. i'll show some pics tomorrow :thumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
do you have some pictures to show now? i'm planning to install one myself in preparation for my trip to california.

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to Thule customer support, they have no Thule racks/adaptors to work with the Acadia and its stable-mates, are not planning to offer them and not developing them. When I pointed out the possibility that the Chevy version would certainly add volume and that GM might start using this design on other model lines, they answered that the problem was that GM had designed its side-rails in a way that makes it very difficult to create racks like they have for most of the other vehicles in the world. Yakima also does not have them.

Has anyone successfully found a way to use these industry-standard bike racks on their Acadia's roof side-rails, with or without the crossbars? Now that the crossbars are a costly extra, I'd rather not buy and install them only to find I can't mount a bike rack on the roof.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Acadia. Just bought the Sears Cargo roof top carrier (hardtop) and the Sears guy says I need to buy the cross rails from GMC. I have been looking around and it seems they are about $140 to $180. Is there anyway around paying this much? They're just cross rails. Seems like alot. The Yukon cross rails are like $37. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
533 Posts
Howdy roof rack owners,

I plan to use my rack for either my kayak, or possibly a "bulk goods" cargo box - although not as likely as the kayak (or lumber). I typically use my hitch mount bike carrier. Should I invest in the cross rails, or just plan to purchase a Yakima / Thule style device to attach to the existing roof rails?

Thx much,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
22 Posts
My two cents; the Yakima set up, while it appears a bit heavier duty, is about $100 more. From other posts in this forum, the GM rail installation seems fairly simple and should be adequate for my kayak, skiis, etc.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yakima is only rated at 120 lbs
the GM cross bars are rated at 200 lbs

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't think I'm too concerned w/ the load capacity of these racks because I'd be hard pressed to even come close to 120+ pounds on the roof. What I'm primarily concerned with is whether or not I even need to purchase the cross rails if another brand of product would serve my needs better. If I did purchase the GM rails, are there other devices that attach to them specifically to cradle my kayak or provide a bike mount if I decided to move my bikes to the roof?

I just don't want to buy an unnecessary item if it won't be of real value (i.e. I would need to use another brand cross rail in order to attach a kayak dolly or other accessory).

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts