GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
big bear craig said:
Where is the best place to purchase the cross rails or what is a fair price to pay for them?
i paid $151 at gmaccesoriesstore.com and waiting for them to get here and put them on ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
GMaccessoriesstore.com was cheaper, but they wanted to charge $48 for shipping. http://www.gmpartszone.com was cheaper when shipping was included (by $10). Your best bet is to just buy from your dealer. They should match the online price and you're not paying for shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
big bear craig said:
Where is the best place to purchase the cross rails or what is a fair price to pay for them?
BBC - Perhaps you can order thru the dealer you purchased your Acadia from & ask them to do you a "good neighbor" favor by offering them to you at a 35% discount. I'm sure they have some wiggle-room on options like this.

Good luck!

Smooth <><[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Just had it dealer installed. $189 for parts, $55 for labour. The dealer rep. cracked the plastic trim piece that caps the end of the rail $48 dollars each. Allegedly easy to do. They ate the cost of that at my request. (All figures in Canadian$)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
A very old thread comes back to life.

I want to add the cross rails so I can haul ladders/lumber, etc without stuffing them into Have Blue.
GMC roof rails are pricey and from all I've read here can be a b1tch to install, plus I'd like to be able
to remove them when not in use.

Found these:
http://www.prolineracks.com/proline-cb5800-roof-rack-crossbars.html

and these on eBay, here's the item # 150822448156
I'd post the link but I can't sterilize my user name and password for some reason.
They're $58 no tax free shipping.
This ad mentions 'be sure your tower distance does not exceed 42" '
What's tower distance???

Are there other manufactures you guys have used and are happy with?
As always, the wisdom here is appreciated.

Laurie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Tower distance is distance between the two bars. I wonder why they would specify a max distance of 42". Typically for bike carriers and such the distance is a bit flexible and its usually the minimum distance that's specified (usually 36"). Honestly it makes no difference how far apart the bars are as long as the load can be properly secured.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
NutBucket said:
Tower distance is distance between the two bars.
Thanks for that! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
Upon closer examination, the after market cross rails will only attach to the roof rails fairly close together.
Factory cross rails can be spaced farther apart (forward to aft). Wondering if the after markets could force
the roof rails to 'bend' after time with so much energy being forced to a smaller area where the factory's
displace the load over more of the roof rails?

Anyone with an ME out here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
capecodacadia said:
Anyone with an ME out here?
:thumb:

I would just do factory rails. They weren't that hard to put on. If you were able to tackle all those bulbs, you shouldn't have a problem with the rails.

If the aftermarkets ones don't fit right, you might end up bending something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
:thumb:

I would just do factory rails. They weren't that hard to put on. If you were able to tackle all those bulbs, you shouldn't have a problem with the rails.

If the aftermarkets ones don't fit right, you might end up bending something.
Hi honey,
the mechanics of the install don't scare me, its the price. Factory is more than 3x the price of after market.
...argh....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,042 Posts
Tower distance for the eBay rails means side to side. In other words, how far apart are the R & L rails on your Acadia? They vary front to back, so measure at each end.

Unless you can get some feedback on how those bars work from users, I'd be wary. If they have solid feedback, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd either get the factory rails or aftermarket from solid rack company like Yakima or Thule. The Yakima/Thule bars will cost more, but be more versatile and well engineered. You should be able to get the factory bars for $150-$175, a Yakima/Thule setup might be more like $200 or so. I bought a no-name (Swagman) set of rooftop bike racks after seeing generally positive reviews at Overstock.com and they've served me well for less than 1/2 the cost of Yakima or Thule.

If you get the factory bars, be aware that the '07-'09 racks are different from the '10 and up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Recently pulled my factory bars in favor of the Yakima setup. Willing to part with my factory bars. What's your offer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
kd said:
Recently pulled my factory bars in favor of the Yakima setup. Willing to part with my factory bars. What's your offer?
What year is your Acadia?

I called the Parts God at Olsen today and left a message with GMC Part #, haven't heard back from him yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,053 Posts
capecodacadia said:
Hi honey,
the mechanics of the install don't scare me, its the price. Factory is more than 3x the price of after market.
...argh....
Gotcha, I misinterpreted what you meant. You don't seem like someone who would shy away from a simple task.


Maybe Parts God will become Wholesale Parts God!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
salguod said:
Tower distance for the eBay rails means side to side. In other words, how far apart are the R & L rails on your Acadia? They vary front to back, so measure at each end.

Unless you can get some feedback on how those bars work from users, I'd be wary. If they have solid feedback, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd either get the factory rails or aftermarket from solid rack company like Yakima or Thule. The Yakima/Thule bars will cost more, but be more versatile and well engineered. You should be able to get the factory bars for $150-$175, a Yakima/Thule setup might be more like $200 or so. I bought a no-name (Swagman) set of rooftop bike racks after seeing generally positive reviews at Overstock.com and they've served me well for less than 1/2 the cost of Yakima or Thule.

If you get the factory bars, be aware that the '07-'09 racks are different from the '10 and up.
I agree darlin', been giving it some thought, probably best to go with factory. Maybe I can write them off. :hilarious:
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top