GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to give GM a thumbs up for the asthetic design of the Acadia and the layout is perfect for my family. Minivan interior that is so practical, but cool SUV exterior.

HOWEVER...[/color]

I have had it for four months and it has been in the shop four times now. The first time was before I even rolled 1000 miles.
- 1st time- engine problems (engine light) and roof leaks (windshield and air bag buttons)
- 2nd time- engine problems (engine light) and roof leaks (windshield and air bag buttons)
- 3rd time - engine problems (cam shaft issue)
- 4th time- roof leaks (back row, air vents and backup assist)[/color]
Total time in shop: 2 months (and counting... we're in the shop now)

As infuriating as this ordeal has been, GM has made it even moreso. The customer service reps have been incredibly rude and unwilling to work with me. I have been given the run-around many times. I requested a buy-back and was denied several times. The "regional service manager" would review and re-review my case and deny me again. Finally, GM gave me the finger and said they were closing my case, an extended warranty was the best they would do for me and I would just have to keep dragging it back to the shop to fix the problems that they can't seem to correct the first (or second, or third) time. I was told that if I wanted pursue a buy-back, then I needed to get a lawyer. Which is what I did.

It took a lemon-law attorney to get any type of resolution. Ultimately, the agreement is an MSRP for MSRP swap. It has to be another GM product, preferably from the same dealership and sales rep.

For my first GM experience, this has been most disappointing. We're going to swap it out for a new Acadia that "supposedly" was manufactured a bit later and should have the kinks worked out. I am very skeptical, but since I am required to get another GM vehicle, there really isn't anything else in the lineup that I would rather have.

These issues are completely unacceptable. For $40k, I EXPECT BETTER. My kids shouldn't have to wear little umbrella-hats to keep dry inside every time it rains. I shouldn't have major engine problems on a brand new vehicle.[/color] And if I do, GM should do something about it. Not force me to take legal action.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with you GM should be more willing to resolve the problems they have with these vehicles. They wonder why they are in financial trouble and why so many people are starting to buy foreign vehicles. I have always driven GM products but here lately I have been unhappy with some of their crap they are making us deal with.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yike, I thought my possessed Acadia "Samantha" was difficult to deal with. My main disappointment with GM is there is no formal recall tied to the poor water sealing on this vehicle, and the poor assembly that seems to be causing the problems,and GM seems to be trying to hide it from the owners.
Good luck with the Lemon Law, mine is in the shop for warranty repairs for trip #3 with less than 10,000 miles. I am same boat as you, not much else on the market looks as good to me as the Acadia. Sure seems like GM/UAW is determined to screw the pooch on this one :eek:hno:
If the GMC dealer is not able to deal with this issues (including a hijacked XM radio that was playing fine until the water leaks hit the fuse box) (all else but XM on radio works fine), maybe I will follow in your footsteps! XM and Onstar cannot figure it out :crazy:
Perhaps GM should issue temporary "Acadia bags" kind of like clear trash bags to cover them up until they can seal them up so they can live in the rain :help:

·
Registered
43 Posts
What were your lawyer fees? Mine is in for the second time for water leaks, and I have no confidence that they will be fixed. They send it to an auto body shop to have them look for the leak.
I'm almost hoping it leaks again and again, for I would love to get an MSRP for an MSRP deal!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Pipes:
I paid no attorney fees. He recovers his fees from the manufacturer. He reviewed my purchase documents, all service orders, registration, etc. to make sure that it was a clear-cut lemon law case before proceeding. Lemon Law qualifications vary from state to state, so you may want to check to see what yours is.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Most states have a BBB website, and some have a lemon law link to help you through the process. Check yours if GM won't take care of you. It is non-binding on your part and you can still retain an attorney if need be.
At least that's the law in Ichigan.

·
Registered
812 Posts
jrc50 said:
My main disappointment with GM is there is no formal recall tied to the poor water sealing on this vehicle, and the poor assembly that seems to be causing the problems,and GM seems to be trying to hide it from the owners.
at the owner expense exactly!!!! we all know that recalls are considered taboo in marketing especially now that the Lambdas are the bread and butter of GMs profit machine, for them not to issue any recall and doubt stuff like "TSB based on owners discretion only" clearly states their intention to save their face from the age old dilemna of "poor product quality".

Running away from their responsibility to provide great manufacturers support is not the way to go now especially if your winning back consumers to your brand. Why dont they just be brave enough and admit like Toyota did and show the owners that they are fully supported by the manufacturer in terms of solutions and dealer services to address both potential and ongoing issues, if brand loyalty is their sole objective then start with providing good after sales services not only in dealership but straight up GM thus making sure that the cost of brand ownership is worth all the $$$ we spend on their cars.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has now been 3.5 weeks since my Acadia went back into the shop for roof leaks. Even though I did win a lemon-law settlement from GM, I STILL DO NOT HAVE A VEHICLE AFTER ALMOST A MONTH!!!!![/color] I am driving a cruddy mini-van rental and have NO IDEA when I might get my new truck.

Total shop time at this point has been THREE MONTHS. I have only owed it for FOUR months.[/color] And I can't get my lemon-law settlement settled!!! General Motors is absolutely impossible to work with. I am soooooo frustrated!!!!

I will never, never, never, never, never purchase another GM vehicle ever again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow Acadianightmare!
I do not blame you for being upset :banghead: I am taking mine back in tomorrow to have them replace the front air conditioner fan relay, took a week to get the part, and I was out of town. According to Service manager they plan to pull the whole interior out, verify the sunroofs are done leaking; the roof rack, etc. and dry and clean the carpet, they do not seem to have much confidence the other GMC dealer went through the whole thing.
They seem to be willing to be giving it the "old college try" so I have no problem with it, but it will take a few months with no further electrical issues from "Samantha" before I believe it. The next one that occurs will be the last straw and if GMC is unsuccessful with the excorcism ritual then it is going down the road one way or another :violent:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After FIVE weeks in the shop to repair the roof leaks (for the fourth time)[/color] I finally got it back a week ago. (I still do not have, by the way, my Lemon-Law replacement TWO and a HALF MONTHS AFTER the "SETTLEMENT".) And now, guess what? I HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK AGAIN FOR A FIFTH TIME. ROOF IS STILL LEAKING and now the auxillary A/C in the rear does not work[/color].

I have had so many personal items ruined that were in my truck from water damage. There is rust all over the interior. The headliner is stained and ruined. AND IT SMELLS LIKE WET DOG from the mildew.

This has been a horrible, horrible nightmare. Even with a Lemon-Law settlement, GM STILL WON"T TAKE CARE OF IT.

I keep hoping someone will steal it.... Of course, they'd probably bring it back!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm taking my Acadia in for a 2nd time for a water leak (3rd time overall). I have very little confidence that the water leak problem will be fixed.

I have found a local Lemon Law attorney in town and have been documenting everything. The lawyer charges GM for his legal fees. Ohio Lemon Law requires that you give them three times to fix the same problem. If it's still not fixed, then you can declare it as a lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't blame any of you for being upset ; some of you stated you would't buy another American car because OF leaks,etc.
I've always bought GM ( 5 Tahoes in 10yrs ) I think GM finally did it right , I traded in my 04 SRX for my 08 Acadia
I have confidence that the water leak problem will be fixed , just got off the phone with the dealer ( bodyshop) that i bought from . I asked the bodyshop if the leaks was a know problem , " o'yes , all with sunroofs " . the sunroof has a left, right and center drain holes with a drain hose attached . ( said the hose is to shot on the center drains )
I will post my results after I have the leaks fix ............. have confidence that the water leak problem will be fixed the FIRST TIME

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my recalled roof issue fix'd (ha ha) at 40,000 miles. Now at a few thousand miles later the roof leaked so bad in the last heavy rain storm water was pouring out front to back. Water got into the dash and shorted the whole electrical system out. This is one of many recalls and issues on the Acadia. ((Read about water pumps and wiper motors). The dealer I bought from is not longer in business (GMC attrition) I now have to rely on a different dealer to submit issue to GM. From what I am reading it sounds like I will need an arbitration lawyer. I think GM needs to have a class action law suit filed against the. Maybe then they will be more responsive to the issues.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
GMCnightmare2 said:
I had my recalled roof issue fix'd (ha ha) at 40,000 miles. Now at a few thousand miles later the roof leaked so bad in the last heavy rain storm water was pouring out front to back. Water got into the dash and shorted the whole electrical system out. This is one of many recalls and issues on the Acadia. ((Read about water pumps and wiper motors). The dealer I bought from is not longer in business (GMC attrition) I now have to rely on a different dealer to submit issue to GM. From what I am reading it sounds like I will need an arbitration lawyer. I think GM needs to have a class action law suit filed against the. Maybe then they will be more responsive to the issues.
I guess it all depends on the dealer. My original dealer is now gone as well yet the new dealer I worked with on a sunroof leak issue was terrific. Honored my extended warranty even though water leaks are not covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 08 Acadia and started noticing water leak from 3rd row dome lights. Miles 42K with extended warranties. They initially said the water leaks are not covered and then after talking to the service manager, agreed to take care of it if I paid $100. So, after 3 days, they gave me the car back. Will have to wait for the next rain when I am driving with kids on the 3rd row to see if the leaks are really fixed.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
ifsfiq said:
I have 08 Acadia and started noticing water leak from 3rd row dome lights. Miles 42K with extended warranties. They initially said the water leaks are not covered and then after talking to the service manager, agreed to take care of it if I paid $100. So, after 3 days, they gave me the car back. Will have to wait for the next rain when I am driving with kids on the 3rd row to see if the leaks are really fixed.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
ifsfiq said:
I had the exact same situation and the dealer honored the extended warranty as well. Mine has been dry since August. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts