GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
Hello, am I nuts for looking into a 2008 SLT with 35K on it? One owner and looks sharp but I mean it's a 2008!! Judging by the miles most of you have on yours I'm guessing the opinion will be do it!
Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to check the vehicle's service history with GM. Ask a dealer to run a GMVIS report - you'll just need the VIN. That will tell you how well the previous owner cared for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not do it.

My first question would be if the 35k was racked up on occasional road trips or 1 mile round trips to church.

The engines in these cars were prone to sludge buildup which led to premature timing chain failure. 12 years of very short trips would compound that issue.

Secondly, the big failure issue on these was the transmission wave plates. GM took care of that by offering special coverage for 10 years or 120k miles. An '08 is now outside that window so a wave plate failure would be on your dime.

Good luck.
Very interesting response and not what I was expecting. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.
Be sure to check the vehicle's service history with GM. Ask a dealer to run a GMVIS report - you'll just need the VIN. That will tell you how well the previous owner cared for it.
Thank you! This is more good advice. I think I'll just steer myself in a different direction. Looking at a 2018 Terrain also with 39K on it lol. One extreme to the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2009 SLT2 AWD that just turned 170K. All options besides NAV, HUD, and moon roof. Purchased at 148K in March '18. It's been pretty costly recently and I'll note that I am on the second water pump replacement. First one replaced a year ago and another going in as we speak. Very poor fuel mileage as well. About 12 mpg city, 20 highway, 18 freeway, and I see it average about 15. Have done all regular maintenance myself. It just developed major lag from a stop. However, it is the first SUV I have owned and love everything else about it.
Comfortable, seats 8, Bose sound system is great, peace of mind in the winter, and it is normally very peppy. My last car was an HHR LT 2.4 Ecotec which had its own list of issues, and all preceding that had the 3800 Series II motor in them. I'm satisfied overall. I really hope the timing chains and waveplate were addressed prior to purchasing the vehicle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts