GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite a few mechanical repairs, this vehicle has easily held up better than any other car I've ever owned, including a 2004 Honda Accord also bought new. Our has been on a lot of roadtrips, and done plenty of in-town errands and some towing, but has never been persistently used as a "commuter" vehicle.

In the interest of getting a sense of how these hold up 10+ years / 150K+ miles, I'm looking for your:

- Model Year
- Did you buy New or Used?
- If used - age/mileage when bought
- Your current Odometer reading

Mine:

Bought New (Dec '07)

Thanks,!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Used - I have had for 3 weeks now

This is my commuter and family vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 2012 AWD just rolled over 180,000. Other than the engine fans running pretty much all the time, it's been a great ride. I replaced the 3 larger relays in the engine fuse box, but it didn't help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
- Model Year >> 2008
- Did you buy New or Used? >> Used
- If used - age/mileage when bought >> 18,000
- Your current Odometer reading >> 167,000

For an ~ 11 year old car I think aesthetically she still looks great. :surprise:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought used at 91,000 2012 slt-1
Now has 95,000
No issues whatsoever besides a clanking noise that seems to be coming from front suspension, got underneath and when I manually turned the wheels from the bar that connects both wheels I heard it but have no idea what it could be, it drives perfect though so ill just live with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2010. Bought it used in 2015 with 90k on the clock. Has 212k now. It has been a daily commuter. It has been the biggest lemon I have ever had. At 100k water pump went out, 110k timing chains went, 150k front struts went, 160k all rear control arms, purge valve, wheel bearings, and transmission wiring went. Not to mention 6 sets of tires. Runs like crap. 2 sets of plugs and coils have had to be replaced. Definitely put to much money into it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
- Model Year >> 2007 SLT 2
- Did you buy New or Used? >> Used
- If used - age/mileage when bought >> 35,000 in 2009
- Your current Odometer reading >> 101,000

For a 12 year old car I think aesthetically she still looks great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 SLT 1 bought used with 91k miles in 2012. Current mileage 171k

Transmission gasket was replaced at 30k warrantied for previous owner.
Water pump replaced under warranty at 99k
Front struts 130k
Rack and pinion, power steering pump replaced 163k and again at 169k; second one warrantied by shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 Acadia SLT
Bought New
Approx. 267,000 miles
One transmission replacement.
Original engine, still runs fine.
Many initial problems (almost classified as lemon) but since those initial repairs this has been a great vehicle.
Has burned oil for quite some time, though that has diminished some since changing pcv's which were clogged with carbon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2007 SLT2 AWD
GM Certified Used in 2010
28k miles
105k miles

Body computer in 2013. Transmission wave plates in 2013. Intermittent no-crank after cold soak below 10°F from 2015 to present (bad connection someplace on high-speed CAN bus)

·
Registered
12 Posts
2009 Acadia SLE
Purchase used with 70k miles
Currently has 206k miles daily commuter

Replaced many things but since around 150k, I've only done basic maintenance with tire and brakes. Consumes oil -- even after PVC was unplugged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 Acadia SLT, 2WD
Purchased used in 2012 with ~60k miles
Basic commuter, vacationing vehicle. Currently has 212k miles

A few little things (PCV valve, water pump, MAP sensor, coil pack/spark plug here or there, shocks/struts, etc.) the first five years. Rebuilt tranny (preventative) 12/2017, then timing chain guides this month.

Not a quick job, but fairly straightforward.......although I cant't get a #3 misfire to clear. Compression is a little low, by 25 lbs or so (dry and wet), two hot soaks with an atomizing top end cleaner. Certain at this point it has to be an exhaust valve. Will be tearing back into it this weekend to check the camshaft lobes, springs, lifters, seats, stems, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2007 SLT with 170000 miles. Bought new
Transmission replaced 96000 miles and 16500 miles. Both for the same fault. I believe the first replacement transmission had the same wave plate issue as the first, but GMC assistance center was not helpful with it nor did they want to look at that possibility
Bank 1 Knock sensor replaced about 147000 miles
Water pump replaced 145000 miles.
Have had the common gauge light problems.
Rear hatch recall has been done but it doesn’t always close right now
Now having a delayed crank issue.
Also dealing with possible bank 2 catalytic converter failure.
Love the ride and handling but it has been the most unreliable GM car I’ve ever owned

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 SLT
165,000 miles
bought new in 2012 w/ 24 miles on it
timing chain/set replaced under warranty at about 50,000
do/have all the recommended maintenance done on the vehicle at recommended mileage
shocks, struts, rear a/c line, and alternator all replaced just before my 100,000 mile warranty was up
have since replaced the battery and alternator again
i fear that the ol girl is starting to get that shutter that i've read so much about on here... sad, she's been a pretty good vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008 Acadia AWD. Has everything but the kitchen sink. Bought in about 2012 with 83,000 miles, was told that it had been updated by previous owners to all the original problems. Has 152,000 miles now. New battery a couple years ago replaced the original factory battery, New tires High end Michelins about 139,000 miles. Had a fairly loud squeak in the steering wheel when we first got the car, was told it needed a $2,500 repair. Ignored the problem, and it has all but disappeared. Engine revs to 3,000 3,800 RPM when up shifting from 4th to 5th gear at highway speeds about 40% of the time when going up and down hills. Dealer told me it was "normal" Tranny still works OK most of the time. Needs new spark plugs and bushings in some of the front end suspension, maybe struts, but still drive good. It is a wonderful road car for trips. Drive 800 miles one way (1,600 round triip) 2 or 3 times each year only stopping for gas and rest breaks. Gas mileage is bad 13 mpg town and 18 on the road, advertised as 24- 26 MPG. Probably caused by alcohol in the fuel. I would not have bought the car at half the price my wife paid for it, but have grown to like it especially for trips. No major problems yet, Drive and rides great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2008 SLT2, FWD
Purchased new Nov, 2007
151,000 Miles - Road trip car until Jan, 2019 (1,000mi each way, 3-4x/yr), now retired, functions as a local daily driver.

Repairs (not including recalls)

43,000 - Spring broken, right rear
50,000 - AC evap core replaced
53,000 - Water pump failure
98,000 - Replace fan blower motor
108,000 - Replace front struts & spring assy
143-151k - Repl Solenoid (Evap high purge), Repl Ignition Coil (#3 Cyl), Replace oil seal, front crankshaft

Future repairs/issues? (More likely trade it in first) - Oil pressure sensor leaking (slight); Trans issue occasional - possible TCM

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 Acadia SLT, 2WD
Purchased used in 2012 with ~60k miles
Basic commuter, vacationing vehicle. Currently has 212k miles

A few little things (PCV valve, water pump, MAP sensor, coil pack/spark plug here or there, shocks/struts, etc.) the first five years. Rebuilt tranny (preventative) 12/2017, then timing chain guides this month.

Not a quick job, but fairly straightforward.......although I cant't get a #3 misfire to clear. Compression is a little low, by 25 lbs or so (dry and wet), two hot soaks with an atomizing top end cleaner. Certain at this point it has to be an exhaust valve. Will be tearing back into it this weekend to check the camshaft lobes, springs, lifters, seats, stems, etc.
The low compression ended up being some bent valves in the 2nd bank (3-5), 4 intake and 4 exhaust. Had to have the engine dropped to fix. Truck is up for sale, now.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
  • New- Factory ordered.
My Traverse turns 10 yrs old on July 31.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, am I nuts for looking into a 2008 SLT with 35K on it? One owner and looks sharp but I mean it's a 2008!! Judging by the miles most of you have on yours I'm guessing the opinion will be do it!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Hello, am I nuts for looking into a 2008 SLT with 35K on it? One owner and looks sharp but I mean it's a 2008!! Judging by the miles most of you have on yours I'm guessing the opinion will be do it!

Thanks
I would not do it.

My first question would be if the 35k was racked up on occasional road trips or 1 mile round trips to church.

The engines in these cars were prone to sludge buildup which led to premature timing chain failure. 12 years of very short trips would compound that issue.

Secondly, the big failure issue on these was the transmission wave plates. GM took care of that by offering special coverage for 10 years or 120k miles. An '08 is now outside that window so a wave plate failure would be on your dime.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts