GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from a Road Trip to Moab, Utah. We drove 236 miles each way, from Salt Lake City.

This weekend was the 41st annual Moab Jeep Safari. Unless you have been there, it is difficult to imagine how many Jeeps (and similar high clearance vehicles) can be in one place. It is also difficult to imagine how much money people spend on these highly-modified machines, and what they are willing to do with them.

Speaking of things hard to imagine, I let myself be talked into taking the Acadia on a couple of "moderate" trails. The Acadia did surprisingly well, although the mud flaps were a problem. They seriously reduce clearance. Let's just say they are a little shorter now than the used to be. ::) I love my Acadia, but this is not an off-road vehicle (much beyond graded dirt roads).

Overall, I was very pleased with the Acadia. It drove very nicely on the highway. It loves to run. I averaged 22 mpg driving down, and about 20 coming back (the difference is likely due to grade differences and much more traffic congestion on the return trip). My three teenagers liked the ride and all the room.

The roof box fit well, but it produced a terrible wind noise beginning at about 70 mph. I've got to figure out how to reduce that, if I am going to continue using the box. I never heard wind noise like that with the box on my MDX.

If you have never been to the red rock country of southern Utah, you owe it to yourself to go.

Kelly
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
Great pics Kelly--thanks for sharing.

002
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Nice pics. :thumb: :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
That first pic of the acadia looks like it could be a GM photo! Really good pics!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I think the second shot is fabulous. Thats the money shot. Send it to GMC!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Awesome pics, Kelly! Thanks for posting them. Did you see any other Acadias there? on the trip? What kind of comments did you get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
you should put 40" wheels and raised shocks on the acadia and go rock climbing ;D


AWSOME pics. that looks like fun (although i have had my share of adventures in my yukon, I guess i will try the acadia now)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
kjf said:
The Acadia did surprisingly well, although the mud flaps were a problem. They seriously reduce clearance. Let's just say they are a little shorter now than the used to be. ::) I love my Acadia, but this is not an off-road vehicle (much beyond graded dirt roads).

Kelly
:rofl: This part made me laugh out loud! Too funny! Great pics - thanks for sharing!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
steveski2 said:
Awesome pics, Kelly! Thanks for posting them. Did you see any other Acadias there? on the trip? What kind of comments did you get?
I saw one gold mist Acadia in town on Saturday. It really caught my eye. The people we went Jeeping with really liked the Acadia. But, with so many tricked out specialty vehicles around, the Acadia was not the center of attention (and, next to many of these jacked up Jeeps and custom-built things, it looked rather small).

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Kelly
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gmgrant said:
Kelly-

Did you drive thru any sand?

Wondering how well the Acadia might tackle sand beaches.

Thanks.

gg
I didn't drive in any deep sand. If I were, I would air down the tires. If I started to get stuck, I would turn off traction control.

Kelly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Hi Kelly,

I think we met at the gas station in Wellington on Thursday.

I asked you how you like the Acadia, and you told me how great it was, but that you had only had it for 3 weeks. Your wife commented on its ride being much better than the Acura MDX.

I told you we had one on order from Seiner in North Salt Lake.

I don't know if you saw my car or not, but it was a blue Suburban loaded to the max with a roof box and one bike on top, and 4 more bikes hanging off the trailer hitch receiver.

We also were impressed by all the Jeeps in Moab. Our main activities were biking (Slickrock Trail and Porcupine Rim) and hiking (Arches NP and Corona Arch off of Potash Rd).

Ted (xc skier)

ps: I took some pictures, but they are not nearly the profesional quality as yours. I'll try to post them if I can figure out how to do it (I've never done this before).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Corona Arch
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Bowtie Arch
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Slickrock Trail
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
xcskier said:
Hi Kelly,

I think we met at the gas station in Wellington on Thursday.

I asked you how you like the Acadia, and you told me how great it was, but that you had only had it for 3 weeks. Your wife commented on its ride being much better than the Acura MDX.

I told you we had one on order from Seiner in North Salt Lake.

I don't know if you saw my car or not, but it was a blue Suburban loaded to the max with a roof box and one bike on top, and 4 more bikes hanging off the trailer hitch receiver.

We also were impressed by all the Jeeps in Moab. Our main activities were biking (Slickrock Trail and Porcupine Rim) and hiking (Arches NP and Corona Arch off of Potash Rd).

Ted (xc skier)

ps: I took some pictures, but they are not nearly the profesional quality as yours. I'll try to post them if I can figure out how to do it (I've never done this before).
Hey, glad to know you're on here. I reported our conversation at Walker's on "the Look" thread!

We love Moab. In addition to the Jeep Safari, we did some hiking in Arches (although not as much as we usually do). This was like my 8th time into Delicate Arch.

Hope you get your Acadia soon. You'll love it.

Kelly
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
xcskier,

We drove the Schafer trail (down the switchbacks) on Friday afternoon, out along some of the White Rim trail to Musselman Arch, and then out Potash Road back to Moab. The first photo of my Acadia above is from the White Rim Trail. (I'm afraid these shots were taken in the middle of the afternoon under pretty flat light.)

Kelly
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top