GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on taking a new car on a long road trip. We should be getting our Acadia in less than two weeks and are planning to drive out to Virginia from Texas (and NC in-between). Is it a bad idea to drive it so far so soon? ???
Any thoughts and advice would be helpful!
Thanks!!

Minnette

·
Registered
492 Posts
demafleez said:
Hello,

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on taking a new car on a long road trip. We should be getting our Acadia in less than two weeks and are planning to drive out to Virginia from Texas (and NC in-between). Is it a bad idea to drive it so far so soon? ???
Thanks!!

Minnette
Drive the crap out of it and enjoy man. ;D
It's a great car and you will enjoy every minute of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Racefla said:
demafleez said:
Hello,

Thanks!!

Minnette
Drive the crap out of it and enjoy man. ;D

It's a great car and you will enjoy every minute of it.
Thanks, Racefla!
That is EXACTLY what we were thinking... ;)

just thought we would check and see if we needed to be concerned or cautious about anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What I was always told (and I may have read in an previous owners manual) is to simply take it easy. Avoid harsh acceleration and braking and excessive speed. Avoid staying at a constant speed or rpm for an extended period of time.

The idea is to give a gentle break-in cycle for all of the car's components.

Also, it's a good idea to be vigilant about checking fluid levels, etc.

Other than those precautions, go for it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
demafleez said:
Hello,

Thanks!!

Minnette
If you have AWD, Owner's Manual says:
New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• If you have all-wheel drive, keep your speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts.
Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow, the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time the new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake linings.
• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a Trailer on page 371 for the trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can be gradually increased[/color].

·
Registered
159 Posts
What about FWD??? ???

·
Registered
119 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
What about FWD??? ???
I would say, still follow carjones advice above. My two cents.

·
Registered
497 Posts
On a trip from TX to VA, I would have the oil changed while in VA, and again upon return.

As several have said...no worries after the first 500 miles of the trip. See what Acadia is made of...you won't be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Speaking of road trips... I'm taking the Acadia on it's first real road trip this weekend (1,600+ round trip), but it already has 1,200 miles on it (since 3/3!!). Obviously I don't have to worry about babying it for the first 500, but should I get the oil changed before we go? My dealer didn't mention anything to me about having that 1,000 mile oil change, so I was just planning on waiting until the Acadia told me it was time.

Advice? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd consider it; if nothing else, it gives you peace of mind. at the VERY least, do it when you get back (which will be almost 3k miles anyways).

I didn't do it at 500 like I told myself I would :( but I just went over 1000 and I'm going to get it done this weekend.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ditto, I'm in the same situation as John. One of those "round to its." But planning to do so before I hit 2K and then again at 5K.

The "official" oil change cycle is every 7500 miles...I think the dealer said.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Okay then... since it's not absolutely necessary and I'm limited on time before leaving for Arkansas tomorrow night, I will make sure I have it changed when I get back.

Thanks for the advice! :)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Wife and I are planning a trip, late August, to Savanah, GA. Is it advisable to stay in a hotel downtown due to access of everything? Tours, dining, shopping, entertainment, novelty stores, etc. If anyone has some insight, it will be very much appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Been a while since our last road trip. We will be leaving for GA next Thursday and then over to AL over Spring Break. It will be nice to visit with family, do some target shooting and golf along with dining out most days. Hopefully it will be a lot warmer and wear shorts and summer shirts. We are ready to leave this freezing weather.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
teetertotter said:
Been a while since our last road trip. We will be leaving for GA next Thursday and then over to AL over Spring Break. It will be nice to visit with family, do some target shooting and golf along with dining out most days. Hopefully it will be a lot warmer and wear shorts and summer shirts. We are ready to leave this freezing weather.
Hilton Head, here comes teetertotter 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just completed a 2,667 mile rounder from south central NY to NE Florida. Totally uneventful, with the exception of hitting someones' dismounted tire at 70+ MPH on interstate 95. No serious damage to be seen. Overall mileage - down and back was 21. 2010 Acadia - AWD - Goldmist metallic - SLT1 with trailer package and rear video in ceiling. Car drove great and seats were much more supportive than I could ever imagine. What a vehicle.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
ilvrr1 said:
Just completed a 2,667 mile rounder from south central NY to NE Florida. Totally uneventful, with the exception of hitting someones' dismounted tire at 70+ MPH on interstate 95. No serious damage to be seen. Overall mileage - down and back was 21. 2010 Acadia - AWD - Goldmist metallic - SLT1 with trailer package and rear video in ceiling. Car drove great and seats were much more supportive than I could ever imagine. What a vehicle.
Nice - oh the memories of driving Route 95 for those endless stretches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I stand corrected on the "no apparent damage" after trip to Florida on I-95 and running over someones' tire. I finally got to really wash-down the entire vehicle. The tire left in the passing lane of I-95 caused about $150 worth of damage to the right rear wheel well liner and front flap. Ripped the flap right off the vehicle. Waiting for parts to show. Repairs completed and just like new again.....just under $150 for GM parts installed in under an hour.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Over Spring Break scooted down, to GA and AL 10 days. On way down stopped at Metropolis. IL to stay over night and gamble at Harrah's. Got in their around 9PM and sign in Parking lot said closed for the day. Ohio River is over flowing and could see water at the top of the lot which is a slight up hill climb. We just visited family again and got 3 days of golf in. Weather was in the 70's. Came home to 35F. The 07 Acadia keeps on a tick'n with new recent front wheel bearing assy and new front pads. I have not checked MPG for a year or so, but still seems fuel efficient. Ride continues to be as comfortable as ever for the both of us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts