GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased a 2021 Acadia and learned tonight (the hard way) that if you start your car, and run inside and accidentally leave your key fob there, your car will still be able to go into gear and allow you to drive off without your fob. When you reach your destination and turn your car off you will be stranded. 馃様 My husband's Ford will not allow you to put the car in gear if the fob is not nearby. This is a terrible safety feature, imo. A+ for Ford. Big fail for GMC.

Registered
Pretty sure that's actually a standard safety feature to prevent you from being stranded if the FOB battery croaks. Not just GMC...

Registered
It is a "safety feature" to be able to start a vehicle without the key FOB. Who is it safe for? The owner or a potential thief?

One of us is missing something here.

George

Registered
This happened to my wife in her 2017 Sonic as well. She started the car, then went back in the house because she forgot something and left the keys there. She got across town and I had to grab the keys and take them over to her.
Agree . . . it would be better if the vehicle would have some sort of interlock if the key fob is not in the car.

Reactions: Nixx99

Registered
It is a "safety feature" to be able to start a vehicle without the key FOB.
Car could not be started without the FOB - that's how the OP got stranded. Most likely FOB was in the vehicle when it was started then removed and forgotten when she drove off. Driver error pure and simple. Two errors actually: 1) leaving the car while it was running and 2) leaving the FOB somewhere else when returning.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure that's actually a standard safety feature to prevent you from being stranded if the FOB battery croaks. Not just GMC...
But I WAS stranded because the car allowed me to drive without my fob. So when I arrived at my destination and turned the car off I was unable to turn it back on.
It is a "safety feature" to be able to start a vehicle without the key FOB. Who is it safe for? The owner or a potential thief?

One of us is missing something here.

George
The point is the car shouldn't have been able to even go into gear without the key fob. MY HUSBAND CAR HAS THIS AS A SAFETY FEATURE - THE CAR WILL NOT GO INTO GEAR WITHOUT THE FOB. Yes, it was my error, people make mistakes, maybe you're perfect?
Car could not be started without the FOB - that's how the OP got stranded. Most likely FOB was in the vehicle when it was started then removed and forgotten when she drove off. Driver error pure and simple. Two errors actually: 1) leaving the car while it was running and 2) leaving the FOB somewhere else when returning.
The point is the car shouldn't have been able to even go into gear without the key fob. MY HUSBAND CAR HAS THIS AS A SAFETY FEATURE - THE CAR WILL NOT GO INTO GEAR WITHOUT THE FOB. Yes, it was my error, people make mistakes, maybe you're perfect?
This happened to my wife in her 2017 Sonic as well. She started the car, then went back in the house because she forgot something and left the keys there. She got across town and I had to grab the keys and take them over to her.
Agree . . . it would be better if the vehicle would have some sort of interlock if the key fob is not in the car.
Yes, thank you. My husband's Ford does not allow him to put the car into gear without the fob nearby.

Registered
maybe you're perfect?
Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - but I NEVER leave a running vehicle unattended. Besides the obvious potential for something really, really bad to happen (besides stranding yourself) it's also illegal in just about every jurisdiction, and if not it should be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination - but I NEVER leave a running vehicle unattended. Besides the obvious potential for something really, really bad to happen (besides stranding yourself) it's also illegal in just about every jurisdiction, and if not it should be.
Where in my post did I say the car was unattended?

Registered
Where in my post did I say the car was unattended?
How did you drive away without the FOB? You can't start it without the FOB being in the vehicle so at some point you must have left it running while you put the FOB somewhere outside - reasonable to assume at that point it was unattended.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
How did you drive away without the FOB? You can't start it without the FOB being in the vehicle so at some point you must have left it running while you put the FOB somewhere outside - reasonable to assume at that point it was unattended.
You know what they say about assuming things, right? Have a good day.

Registered
You know what they say about assuming things, right? Have a good day.
Perhaps someone else was in the car as well, yes. Regardless, this is a common default in newer cars, maybe not all. Bottom line is, you forgot the keys, thankfully didn't drive too far, and probably won't do it again...

Registered
But I WAS stranded because the car allowed me to drive without my fob. So when I arrived at my destination and turned the car off I was unable to turn it back on.

Yes, thank you. My husband's Ford does not allow him to put the car into gear without the fob nearby.
Sounds like you are saying you should have bought a Ford?

Why are you being so defensive over your mistake? Many of us here are perfect :)

Super Moderator
... My husband's Ford will not allow you to put the car in gear if the fob is not nearby. ...
If the vehicle is started with the push-button ignition, all of it's 'security' features are turned off. Why don't you show us the passage in your Ford's owners manual where that described feature is explained?

Reactions: Grantv

Registered
If you start the car and drive off without the fob, when you get to your destination and go to shut off the car (when you push the ignition button) a warning will pop up on the dash that the fob has not been detected and do you REALLY want to turn the car off, because you may not be able to restart it. This lets you drive back home and get the keys.

You then have to push the button a second time to shut off the engine.

This makes sense because the car cannot know if you forgot your fob, OR, the fob battery died during the last drive. If the fob battery died there is a special pocket to place the keys and you can still start the vehicle. Most people don鈥檛 know that either.

There is a setting you can adjust that tells the car to honk its horn if the key fob exits the vehicle while the car is running. It will only honk if you close the door behind you. If you run inside the house with the drivers door left open in your drive it won鈥檛 help.

I鈥檓 not suggesting a transmission interlock isn鈥檛 a possible improvement to the GM system but explaining what they did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts