GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Saturn was a promising concept when it was introduced, but GM neglected its product line for waaaaayyyyyy too long.  I think if they would have brought over more Opels from GM Europe instead of sticking Saturn with the likes of the L300 or Ion, Saturn might have made it. 

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It's come down to what GM's gotta do what they gotta do to stay alive. I must admit that I do like my Outlook, but four Lambda's from GM is two too many. They just need a high end and a low end, not four that are similar with a different badge on them. JMHO ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Most if not all of Saturns product lines are rebadged vehicles from GM's other brands so its not a big loss to loose Saturn. IMO

·
Registered
423 Posts
6Sixathome said:
It's come down to what GM's gotta do what they gotta do to stay alive. I must admit that I do like my Outlook, but four Lambda's from GM is two too many. They just need a high end and a low end, not four that are similar with a different badge on them. JMHO ;)
i totally agree! no other company does that, if it worked, toyota would be having 4 different tundras :banghead:

·
Registered
635 Posts
dfrank78 said:
Most if not all of Saturns product lines are rebadged vehicles from GM's other brands so its not a big loss to loose Saturn. IMO
Not to beat a dead horse, but please explain which ones. As I have posted before:

Ion started with Saturn, became the Chevy Cobalt
Aura started with Saturn, became the Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6 and maybe the new buick
Outlook started with Saturn at the same time as the Acadia, then spawned the Enclave and Traverse

While a few like the Aura came from an Opel design, which ones came from the other GM lines? Saturn was the test line for GM.

Yes I am a Saturn loyalist and I want to give them their due, but everyone keeps making them the ugly step child, which IMO is really Pontiac.

Now, with that said, they shouldn't wait until 2011. They should end them with the 09's. Not many people are going to buy a new Saturn in 2010 or 2011 if they know that they are going by by. Sell what they have and put an end to it. I can see in the next 2 years GM using rebadges instead of designing new ones, but like others have said, why do it.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
khansen30 said:
dfrank78 said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but please explain which ones. As I have posted before:

Ion started with Saturn, became the Chevy Cobalt
Aura started with Saturn, became the Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6 and maybe the new buick
Outlook started with Saturn at the same time as the Acadia, then spawned the Enclave and Traverse

While a few like the Aura came from an Opel design, which ones came from the other GM lines? Saturn was the test line for GM.

Yes I am a Saturn loyalist and I want to give them their due, but everyone keeps making them the ugly step child, which IMO is really Pontiac.

Now, with that said, they shouldn't wait until 2011. They should end them with the 09's. Not many people are going to buy a new Saturn in 2010 or 2011 if they know that they are going by by. Sell what they have and put an end to it. I can see in the next 2 years GM using rebadges instead of designing new ones, but like others have said, why do it.
To me, which car is a rebrand of what other car is immaterial. My belief is that GM has been designing cars for years with the mentality of putting them on 4-5 different brands, which is the ultimate problem. GM had every intention of having 4 or more Lambdas when they designed the Lambda platform. Just flat too many brands. I have nothing against any particular GM brand - I just think most of them are unnecessary. I think Saturn, Pontiac, Buick and GMC could probably all go away and GM could be more efficient just having one base brand (Chevy) and one upscale brand (Cadillac). I also think Ford should get rid of Mercury. Honda and Nissan do just fine with 2 brands in the U.S. market. I know Toyota has 3 but at least Scions are not rebadges.

I'll have to agree with khansen that having the Saturn brand limp along into 2011 seems like a waste.

·
Registered
635 Posts
loach said:
To me, which car is a rebrand of what other car is immaterial. My belief is that GM has been designing cars for years with the mentality of putting them on 4-5 different brands, which is the ultimate problem. GM had every intention of having 4 or more Lambdas when they designed the Lambda platform. Just flat too many brands. I have nothing against any particular GM brand - I just think most of them are unnecessary. I think Saturn, Pontiac, Buick and GMC could probably all go away and GM could be more efficient just having one base brand (Chevy) and one upscale brand (Cadillac). I also think Ford should get rid of Mercury. Honda and Nissan do just fine with 2 brands in the U.S. market. I know Toyota has 3 but at least Scions are not rebadges.

I'll have to agree with khansen that having the Saturn brand limp along into 2011 seems like a waste.
That was the thing that made Saturn unique (besides the plastic bodies) in their beggining. They were not rebadges and they weren't rebadged. That's also why they are so distinctive still today - the ones that are at least 5 years old. If they were to let Saturn go back to that kind of a line up, they may have retained a customer base that would have been competitive with some of the Asian companies like Hyundai and Kia.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
A sad day for the Outlook :-* I really like the styling because it's almost identical to the Acadia

·
Registered
428 Posts
sorry to say this but the original saturns were pieces of crap. The body panels were not metal, and would flex and shrink and stretch in the heat and cold. When Saturn started they vehicles were totally different but after a while they started to be rebadges of other gm vehicles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have to agree with Loach. They have too much duplication across their lines. Pick one, Chevy or GMC, my guess Chevy would win because of the car lineup. Cadillac could be the high end. That seems to be the model that toyota, nissan and honda have taken with lexus, infiniti, and acura. Other economist have hit it on the head also with the cost of labor problems. It sounds like UAW is willing to come back to the table now that they are probably going to lose a lot of jobs. Could be too late.

·
Registered
635 Posts
dfrank78 said:
sorry to say this but the original saturns were pieces of crap. The body panels were not metal, and would flex and shrink and stretch in the heat and cold. When Saturn started they vehicles were totally different but after a while they started to be rebadges of other gm vehicles.
Which one did you own. My "piece of crap" saturn was a 97 SW1 that when I traded it in had over 80,000, had been in one fender bender buy did not damage mine at all. Only one plug change at 50K, got 35 to 40 on the high way, interior never fell apart even with dogs and cats riding in it, I even drove mine over a dirt road mountain pass at 10,000 feet and no damage. A/C never failed, never leaked any fluids, changed tires twice, never needed an alignment and the panels never shrunk or expanded and none of the doors ever lost their alignment. I could go on and on and many other Saturn owners would tell you the same, that's why most Saturn owners stuck with them through all the changes. In fact when I traded mine in, it was sold the same day. The only reason I traded in is because I wanted something bigger. The only down to them was they were not that quite. I loved my "piece of crap".

And you still haven't answered my original question of which ones were re-badges, I would really like to know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
they are all rebadges now, besides the original saturn cars which ones arent available in other gm lines?????

·
Registered
428 Posts
and when i say a piece of crap I am speaking from body shop experience. When the cars were wrecked they were totaled out about 95% of the time because of the non metal panels and other things on them that kept them from being repaired satisfactorily. When I buy a criticize a vehicle I look at it from all angles, they may have been mechanically sound which most GM vehicles are but from other aspects they werent all that great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
GM has to move fast to keep going. Saturn is the quickest way to make a big cut. You are right about the different model lines.They are competing against each other rather than other manufactures. I knew people who purchased Saturns when they first came out and they loved them. I heard Pontiac was on the chopping block back in December but have heard anything since then.

Bobby

·
Registered
662 Posts
i totally agree! no other company does that, if it worked, toyota would be having 4 different tundras
Posted on: Today at 03:28:17 PMPosted by: dfrank78
Isn't the new Lexus es350(? may be off on the #) just a rebadged slightly upscaled avalon; and I'm sure the new maxima has a rebadged cousin up at Infinity... right?

·
Registered
635 Posts
dfrank78 said:
and when i say a piece of crap I am speaking from body shop experience. When the cars were wrecked they were totaled out about 95% of the time because of the non metal panels and other things on them that kept them from being repaired satisfactorily. When I buy a criticize a vehicle I look at it from all angles, they may have been mechanically sound which most GM vehicles are but from other aspects they werent all that great.
Thank you for specifing that they are pieces of crap after they are wrecked, that makes perfect sence.

[/quote]they are all rebadges now, besides the original saturn cars which ones arent available in other gm lines?? [/quote]

I still don't think you get it. Saturn had the ION it was last made in 2007, became the Cobalt in 2007. Aura came out in 2007, still around, Malibu came out in 2008. Outlook, and Acadia, came out in 2007, Enclave in 2008 and Traverse in 2009. The Astra is the only one that was new in 2008 and it came off of an Opel design - the only rebadge - and then there are still significant differences.

All I am saying is give Saturn some wink of credit. They developed the first 3 and they worked so well GM put them into other lines.

I am sad to see Saturn go, and I hope GM is around for me when I need to buy another vehicle, or repair the ones I have now. But good gosh, I just don't understand your (and others) hatered for Saturn. By the way another question, how many of those older Saturns come in with rusty doors and other plastic parts with rust on them down by the coast? I would imagine none like the other vehicles down there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
tm59 said:
i totally agree! no other company does that, if it worked, toyota would be having 4 different tundras
Posted on: Today at 03:28:17 PMPosted by: dfrank78
Isn't the new Lexus es350(? may be off on the #) just a rebadged slightly upscaled avalon; and I'm sure the new maxima has a rebadged cousin up at Infinity... right?
i know what you are talking about, and they have done that with the camary and avalon, but not to the extent of 4 different one with the same packages basically.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts