GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard a ringing/alarming noise under your Acadia's hood immediately after turning it off?
I was told it may be an electrical capacitor in the vehicle's electrical system discharging once the vehicle is turned off. The duration of the sound is around 5-10 seconds. This is very annoying considering how much I have paid for this vehicle. If anyone has experinced this with their Acadia, please let me know.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine does it too. No biggie here. It sounds like something is just powering down.

I'll ask on Wednesday when I take mine in for the TSB's

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had the same question that I posted in the Tech Section under the topic heading new noises...Here is a response I received from a fellow member.

"the high pitched hum is from the engine control module under hood. It is normal. The module stays "alive" for about 15 seconds after key off and then shuts down."

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I haven't noticed it. Am I just not paying enough attention or does this not apply to the SLE model?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Your not paying enough attention :p

I have an SLE model as well...to your credit it is extremely faint and at first I wasn't even sure it was coming from my car, but after hearing it each and every time I shut it off, I knew it was.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Now that you pointed it out, I probably will hear it and be annoyed by it. Thanks. :p heh

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone responding to my topic, but isn't it funny that my 2007 Chevy Avalanche does not do this. I don't know if it has to do with the type or size of engine, but this should not happen. :banghead: The GM 'engineers', should look into this and resolve this problem! No other vehicle that I have owned or driven let it be a domestic or foreign car or SUV has done this. The engineers just need to modify or adjust the control module.

Let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I don't own an Acadia but I wouldn't see this as being a problem. Being an engineer I suspect there is a reason for the "feature". Not many decisions like this are random, believe it or not.

Personally, I think you're making something out of nothing, but that is just one persons opinion.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Larry said:
Thanks for everyone responding to my topic, but isn't it funny that my 2007 Chevy Avalanche does not do this. I don't know if it has to do with the type or size of engine, but this should not happen. :banghead: The GM 'engineers', should look into this and resolve this problem! No other vehicle that I have owned or driven let it be a domestic or foreign car or SUV has done this. The engineers just need to modify or adjust the control module.

Let me know your thoughts.

I don't understand your consternation. Unless of course you stand next to the vehicle while trying to meditate. I could see how going into a trancelike state would be difficult, but me, I just walk away after I get out of the new Acadia. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Maybe I never hear it because I park, turn off the Acadia, the radio is still on while I gather up my stuff to exit the vehicle, so during that 5-10 seconds that there's some sort of ringing noise going on under my hood, I'm just too busy doing other things. I just can't see why this would be a problem. Cars make noises, such is life. *shrugs*

·
Registered
269 Posts
A high pitched whine, not long in length. Did not bother me one bit.

Now when I first got my 1080p DLP tv, trying to get used to the whine of the color wheel that is another issue! Nobody could hear that but me, and it gave me a headache. I even had to return one TV because I thought there was an issue, sorry Circuit City! Turns out, even at 40, I can hear the "mosquito" ultrasonic ringtone, and I would have thought my hearing was shot by now.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Okay so we just got back from driving the Acadia and every time I turned it off, I made sure the radio was off and everyone was completely quiet. NOTHING. I hear absolutely nothing when I turn off the vehicle.

Is this because I have an SLE??

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think you need to be outside of the vehicle. I only notice it when I step outside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just picked up my Acadia on the 4th. Mine makes the noise too after shutting the engine off. Stops pretty quick though. I just assumed it had something to do with the lights waiting to shut off.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Dan-M said:
I think you need to be outside of the vehicle. I only notice it when I step outside.
I'm not sure I can shut off my Acadia and be outside it within 5 to 10 seconds to hear this ringing noise... so I guess I don't ever have to worry about it bothering me. ;D

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is recognized as an issue and a fix is being worked on. Not that there is anything wrong, but it's understood that the high pitched noise is annoying.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why would they fix it? Who is driving their acadia into the movie theater before shutting it off?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an SLE AWD model and I have noticed this high pitched noise after the vehicle is turned off...and it persists until the headlights turn off. As an electronic guy, this sounds like a "switching power supply" that likely powers the electronics associated with the lighting control module on the Acadia.

These power supplies (DC-to-DC converters) work by running an oscillator at a high frequency, then smoothing out that frequency into a lower DC voltage to run the electronics stuff. I'm guessing that they picked a frequency that is just at the top of our hearing range and when the engine is not running, we can hear it. If this is what we are hearing, there is no cause for concern, and they will likely not be able to make it go away with a programming fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed the high pitched ringing noise when I got mine home from the dealership. I stepped out to admire the
vehicle and was distracted from its beauty by the noise. Then I remembered reading about it here a few days ago.
Once again, thanks for the info. Kept me from rushing into the house to call my dealer. AND the Acadia is still a beauty.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts