GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real difference in the rims that come on the sle that are painted and the rims on the slt that are polished aluminum? Is the painted more likely to have problems? Don't they look the same?

·
Registered
458 Posts
My 98 Grand Prix came with the polished aluminum wheels vs. the painted finish. In my opinion, the difference between the two is night and day...when the car is clean. I have some Maguire's tire cleaner/shine that i put on my wheels after I wash it....and it looks so sharp...along with putting some tire shine as well. For me, it's worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Agree with fenwah--you can really tell the difference when they car cleaned up--the machined polished are nicer looking (chrome would even be nicer on a dark color Acadia.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The standard XLT rims are machined, which is much shinier than painted, but they are not polished, which results in an almost chrome-like level of shine. The optional 19s are polished. On my price comparison site I equate machined with regular aluminum wheels, while polished I equate with chrome. These wheel comparisons are necessarily crude, though, as there are many different grades of finish. Many chrome wheels these days are only "chrome clad," meaning they have chrome-look plastic fastened to them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Painted aluminum wheels can be a real pain. If the paint chips or is scraped around the bead it can cause slow leaks. This has been my experience and that of several other people I know. I ended up replacing the factory painted aluminum wheels on my '97 Grand Prix GT with American Racing polished aluminum wheels. The original wheels developed leaks where the factory clipped on the wheel weights around the bead. I had glue on weights put on the new wheels just to be safe.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The 18 inch machined wheels are really painted silver on the inner parts and machined on the outer surfaces, then clearcoated all over.

Attached is a photo showing that.

I do not know if the painted 18-inchers are just painted or clearcoated as well. Maybe a forum member who has them can tell.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts