GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife accidently broke the glass backing out of the garage. The dealer is quoting $390 for the mirror and about $100 to paint and install.

2007 SLT Right Side mirror, Defrost, Red Jewel Tintcoat.

Has anybody just replace the glass or had a similar issue with a cheaper than the dealer fix? Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No, but this is my worst nightmare. My wife insists on wanting to park the car in the garage during the winter, but I'm terrified (from past experience) of having this exact thing happen. The power-folding mirrors will help, but only if she uses them.

I'm working on the angle that she can't enjoy a nice toasty car using remote start if it's parked in the garage. ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Aclavelook said:
No, but this is my worst nightmare. My wife insists on wanting to park the car in the garage during the winter, but I'm terrified (from past experience) of having this exact thing happen. The power-folding mirrors will help, but only if she uses them.

I'm working on the angle that she can't enjoy a nice toasty car using remote start if it's parked in the garage. ;D
That's a good angle as long as she buys it. I remote start mine in the garage to get it warmed up in the morning, so hopefully she won't figure out that it is a rule you made up. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
The dealer is quoting $390 for the mirror and about $100 to paint and install.
I Had to replace one on my van and it was $325 three years ago so that's likey an acurate figure. I hit a branch that had broken and was hanging straight down it was either the branch or police car in the other lane...
Lee

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GAR said:
That's a good angle as long as she buys it. I remote start mine in the garage to get it warmed up in the morning, so hopefully she won't figure out that it is a rule you made up. :)
Hope the exhaust isn't getting back into the residence. Even worse, if you live in a condo or townhouse, it could be going into your neighbors residence.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
My wife accidently broke the glass backing out of the garage. The dealer is quoting $390 for the mirror and about $100 to paint and install.

2007 SLT Right Side mirror, Defrost, Red Jewel Tintcoat.

Has anybody just replace the glass or had a similar issue with a cheaper than the dealer fix? Thanks so much for the help.
Check Ebay for the mirror housing. Might be able to get one, but would still have to have it painted. Might be cheapier. As mentioned in another topic, the Dealership might not be able to get the part. I tried to get a back taillight and they had no idea when it would come in because they don't have a ready supply of some parts yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...009QQitemZ190183006234QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, replaced driver's side glass, with the heating element. Did it backing outta the garage.............about 2' clearance on each side.
The replacement glass ran about $45...................and with the blade of a screwdriver I was able to pry the old glass off the rotor mechanism. It just a bit of pressure to release the spring clip and then swap the heating wire to the new glass and press the spring clip into place.
I back out whole lot more carefully now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess I shudda read my reply.....................thats 2 INCHES clearance on each side, not 2 feet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everybody. I ended up just buying the glass and having it installed by a glass company. Bonk, thanks for the ebay link. It's a small world as I used to work for a division of the company selling it on ebay, LKQ. My second call was actually to a buddy of mine who runs a store back in Kansas.

Have a good Christmas everybody.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had a mirror scare tonight.

The wife drove the cadia to the twins softball game this afternoon, and I drove her P/T and met her there.

At one point in the game a high pop up went foul as I watched in horror as it drifted closer and closer to coming down on the windshield of our Acadia :banghead: . I normaly park it farther away than where it was. But the ball missed the windshield by inches and hit the pass side mirror and I watched the glass fall out hanging by a wire.

Folks were asking is that your car? I finally walked over to be suprised that the plastic mirror was not broken, and had some snap fingers on the back that snapped right back into the housing. I hit the key fob and the mirror adjusted itself back to my setting.

Cool :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts