GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this message on saturnoutlookforlum.com but got no response so maybe somebody else had a similar experience with an Acadia...

I just noticed that I only get I beep and one light when I put on R and approach an obstacle. It used to beep more as I was closer to hit smth. So I ran a few tests and it looks like it only beeps once and that's it - doesn't do anything and I almost hit the other car......any thoughts/similar experience ?

J33
2007 Outlook XR AWD

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
Are the sensors clean, free of dirt or wax or other detailing-type compounds? Is everything plugged in correctly behind the bumper? Does it look like anyone has tampered with a sensor? Have you installed yourself, or had anyone install, anything that would involve wiring at the rear of the vehicle or under the hood?

These are just a few things to think about and to look into during a thorough diagnosis. If you check these things, it could also lead to a fairly inexpensive fix. I can't help you more than that. Maybe there are others here who can.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That's interesting because my husband and I ran a test last weekend for my sensors. I started to back out of a parking spot and saw a couple walking behind the car. The sensors didn't beep at all. I told my husband and we did a check by putting my hand over each sensor. The first time the far left one didn't register at all, but when I went to the second, it went nuts beeping. Now the first one is picking up again, but it only does the one beep. I had a short in the sensors when I first got the car, so I am thinking it may have a wiring problem. I am going to have it looked at when I go in for service, but that isn't for another 2,000 miles.

Let me know if you find anything.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you folks !
Yes, everything looks "normal". I have factory installed package, came with the car. I will clean the bumper again as soon as it stops raining and will play with it. What I forgot to mention is that when I switch on R i get "Parking assistance OFF'" message. However, when I check the settings it is still ON.

I tow a travel trailer so if i have the hitch inserted the system switches the function to OFF as the hitch is a permanent obstacle. I still see the lights in the mirror, though. Maybe the system didn't reset back fully, I mean I get partial warning but the message still shows up.

My Outlook is still on b2b warranty but it is a pain to take it for a service as we only have a very few Saturn dealers left in Toronto.

I will let you know more if I find smth. I am also thinking about unplugging the battery so maybe the whole thing will reset by itselff

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Park assist off usually indicates the parking brake is set. Check that.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
J33 said:
I just noticed that I only get I beep and one light when I put on R and approach an obstacle. It used to beep more as I was closer to hit smth. So I ran a few tests and it looks like it only beeps once and that's it - doesn't do anything and I almost hit the other car......any thoughts/similar experience ?
Here's a summary of the park assist system:

For vehicles with the Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system, it operates at speeds less than 5 mph (8 km/h), and assists the driver with parking and avoiding objects while in R (Reverse). The sensors on the rear bumper are used to detect the distance to an object up to 8 feet (2.5 m) behind the vehicle, and at least 10 inches (25.4 cm) off the ground.

Caution: The Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist (URPA) system does not replace driver vision. It cannot detect:
• objects that are below the bumper, underneath the vehicle, or if they are too close or far from the vehicle
• children, pedestrians, bicyclists, or pets.

If you do not use proper care before and while backing; vehicle damage, injury, or death could occur. Even with URPA, always check behind the vehicle before backing up. While backing, be sure to look for objects and check the vehicle's mirrors.

The display is located in the headliner and can be seen by looking over your right shoulder.

URPA uses three color-coded lights to provide distance and system information.

How the System Works
URPA comes on automatically when the shift lever is moved into R (Reverse). The rear display briefly illuminates to indicate the system is working.

URPA operates only at speeds less than 5 mph (8 km/h). If the vehicle is above this speed, the red light on the rear display will flash.

To be detected, objects must be at least 10 inches (25.4 cm) off the ground and below liftgate level. Objects must also be within 8 feet (2.5 m) from the rear bumper. This distance may be less during warmer or humid weather.

A single beep will sound the first time an object is detected between 20 inches (0.5 m) and 8 feet (2.5 m) away. Beeping will occur for a short time when the vehicle is closer than 1 foot (0.3 m) from the object.

The following describes what will occur with the URPA display as the vehicle gets closer to a detected object:

Description English Metric

amber light 8 ft 2.5 m

amber/amber lights 40 in 1.0 m

amber/amber/red lights 23 in 0.6 m

amber/amber/red lights flashing and beep for three seconds 1 ft 0.3 m

The system can be disabled through the Driver Information Center (DIC). See "Park Assist" under DIC Operation and Displaysfor more information.

When the System Does Not Seem to Work Properly
If the URPA system will not activate due to a temporary condition, the message PARKING ASSIST OFF will be displayed on the DIC and a red light will be shown on the rear URPA display when the shift lever is moved into R (Reverse). This occurs under the following conditions:

• The driver disables the system.
• The parking brake pedal is depressed.
• The ultrasonic sensors are not clean. Keep the vehicle's rear bumper free of mud, dirt, snow, ice and slush. For cleaning instructions, see Washing Your Vehicle.
• A trailer was attached to the vehicle, or a bicycle or an object was hanging out of the liftgate during the last drive cycle, the red light may illuminate in the rear display. Once the attached object is removed, URPA will return to normal operation.
• A tow bar is attached to the vehicle.
• The vehicle's bumper is damaged. Take the vehicle to your dealer/retailer to repair the system.
• Other conditions may affect system performance, such as vibrations from a jackhammer or the compression of air brakes on a very large truck.

If the system is still disabled, after driving forward at least 15 mph (25 km/h), take the vehicle to your dealer/retailer.

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
GeoHawk said:

• Other conditions may affect system performance, such as ... the compression of air brakes on a very large truck.

Is this before, or after the truck runs you over? :help:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
speleos said:
Is this before, or after the truck runs you over? :help:
Good question. ;D

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I will say the visibility through the rear window is quite limited so those sensors are more of a "need" than a "want".

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
I will say the visibility through the rear window is quite limited so those sensors are more of a "need" than a "want".
which also means the need for a camera standard on all levels of the Acadia

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
which also means the need for a camera standard on all levels of the Acadia
That's right. Wish I had it. But I won't ask "can it be installed after market" ;D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
This may be why GM started putting them in the other models via the rear view mirror. Adding a camera is not really that difficult- I have an aftermarket one in my '91 Daytona (connects to Pioneer nav radio via homemade harness) and also my Challenger (connects to factory nav via lockpick interface). They even have infrared illumination for low light visibility. With the wireless options that are out there, a lot of the hassle for wiring is removed.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mikemu said:
That's right. Wish I had it. But I won't ask "can it be installed after market" ;D
I saw one at AutoZone yesterday; looks fairly simple although it's an add on and wouldn't integrate into the vehicle. I may look into this more

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
I saw one at AutoZone yesterday; looks fairly simple although it's an add on and wouldn't integrate into the vehicle. I may look into this more
Portable device? How does the wiring work?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Yeah I thought someone would question that response; I will see what the Autozone website says; I saw the device but didn't look into it any further--stand by

-UPDATE-

Can't seem to find the camera on the website

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
Yeah I thought someone would question that response; I will see what the Autozone website says; I saw the device but didn't look into it any further--stand by

-UPDATE-

Can't seem to find the camera on the website
There's something I may be interested in if the installation is reasonably simple.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
If I make another trip I will look into it further; it did say it would install in minutes

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jsimms said:
If I make another trip I will look into it further; it did say it would install in minutes
I will probably check Autozone as well. Thanks for the insight.

·
Super Moderator
22,602 Posts
mikemu said:
'Need' vs 'want' or is it just plain nice to have? I say thanks for inventing it! The same holds true for the camera. I can't buy the 'need' thing, though. It's just another crutch to make folks lazy and/or inconsiderate of what might be around them.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
speleos said:
'Need' vs 'want' or is it just plain nice to have? I say thanks for inventing it! The same holds true for the camera. I can't buy the 'need' thing. It's just another crutch to make folks lazy and/or inconsiderate of what might be around them.
I guess thats right _ we're all getting spoiled by this gizmos. My first car had crank windows.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts