GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Quick quest about texting. Just bought ’17 GMC Acadia Denali form dealer on Monday. Dealer is so so helpful. The issue, how do and, and is it possible to reply to incoming text messages? I read the book and it says that I after receiving a text, I should be able to reply by hitting the reply button, choose a pre determined text and it will send. However, the reply button is dimmed. I have read that it may be an Apple issue as I am utilizing a iphone 8. Can anyone assist me with yet another issue?!!!
Thank you
Tom

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
There could be a setting on the phone to send a 'canned message' while you're driving. Look up something like "do not disturb," "I'm driving," or similar in the OS or messaging setup. It might be something you have to toggle on/off depending on where you are with the phone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I only know android... but this might apply.
Using Android Auto and Android Assistant I can voice to text any text I want, not a canned statement.
"Hey google, text Bob"
"OK, what is the text?"
"Are you at work?"
"You said "are you at work", should I send?"
"Yes"
Works amazing. Maybe skip the built in system and use that (in your case Apply Play I guess) instead if you can't get the canned system to work.
Same goes for Nav. My phone can update maps any time. Built in maps are not so easy to update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only know android... but this might apply.
Using Android Auto and Android Assistant I can voice to text any text I want, not a canned statement.
"Hey google, text Bob"
"OK, what is the text?"
"Are you at work?"
"You said "are you at work", should I send?"
"Yes"
Works amazing. Maybe skip the built in system and use that (in your case Apply Play I guess) instead if you can't get the canned system to work.
Same goes for Nav. My phone can update maps any time. Built in maps are not so easy to update.
Thank you. I will give that a try. Might b easier...

·
Registered
32 Posts
With my iPhone connected to my 2018 Acadia. It will read the text to me and then ask me if I’d like to reply. If I say yes, I can voice the text back. It will then voice repeat back what I said and asked me if I’d like to send it or not. It’s also showing what you need to know on the Acadia display as well. Oh I have a old 4” display iPhone something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yep, I've yet to find any need at all for texting, emailing or web surfing while driving.
It's no different than calling, which most of us have done while driving. Wife texts "can you grab milk on the way home?" the car reads that out and asks if I want to reply... all voice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It's no different than calling, which most of us have done while driving. Wife texts "can you grab milk on the way home?" the car reads that out and asks if I want to reply... all voice.
Same can be done with a call (via hands free) thus no need for texting.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Agree. . best not to text while driving by using the phone itself. The voice text is good. . .. pretty much like hands free Onstar Calling in any distraction . Eyes can still be alert and on the road.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Aversion to talking? Maybe common nowadays.
If the wife just wants milk though, she will text "milk". Done.
Or call... "hey, can you get milk on the way home?" "Sure" "OK..."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts