GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Washington state and license plates are required on the front and back. My dealer attached their branded license plate holders and I will be removing them. I just received my plates in the mail and need to install them. On the last car I bought I just went to an auto supply store and bought chrome ones. I am looking for feedback from any or you that have replaced yours. What kind of holder did you put on there and where did you get it at? Chrome? Black matte? What looks best? I have a Red Jewel SLT2 AWD.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't like to advertise auto dealer either with their plate bezels or any stickers. We have plain black bezels with Anti-Photo cover holding the plates front and rear. Bezels bought from local auto parts store. Other car has plain black bezel holding Lazer protection cover over lic plate. Plain Jane black lic plate bezels for us.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I feel the same way as teeter. We always remove any dealer logo from vehicles, and I don't even put bumper stickers on vehicles.

teetertotter said:
We have plain black bezels with Anti-Photo cover holding the plates front and rear.
We watch a show called Mythbusters and they did a segment on speed cameras. They showed none of the plate covers/sprays/tricks made a difference, and the only way they beat it was to blow past in a jet powered racing car at a really high speed (245+ MPH).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I told my salesman not to put the dealer emblem on.
I have a animal paw print license holder.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
[We watch a show called Mythbusters and they did a segment on speed cameras. They showed none of the plate covers/sprays/tricks made a difference, and the only way they beat it was to blow past in a jet powered racing car at a really high speed (245+ MPH).
[/quote]

Interesting, was it mentioned that newer cameras are able to lazer through? I bought mine at radarbusters.com. If I look at my plates at 25 degree angle,or more, side, top, bottom, you can only see i/2 the plate. You can only see the numbers clearly when looking straight on. What you are saying is this is a gimmick with new improved cameras.....Thank you for the info. Spent $50.00 for nothing!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also do not like advertising any dealer for free. While buying my Acadia I asked the salesman to save me the effort and not install any license plate ads - and they did not :)
I did not put anything else on my plate and I am not planning on doing this.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I also do not like to advertise for the dealer, so their was removed like many other people did.

I had one of those chrome ones with "Acadia" that was given to me by a friend. He purchased it off of ebay. I removed it after a few months because it was cheap and was rusting. Oh well....

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I have one of these on my Acadia. I purchased it in November last year, and no rust. The seller I purchased mine from is not selling them right now for some reason. But it lasted and looks good.The letters are just stickers but have held up fine. If you want me to take a picture of the current condition of it, I can. Just let me know.

·
Registered
912 Posts
teetertotter said:
I don't like to advertise auto dealer either with their plate bezels or any stickers. We have plain black bezels with Anti-Photo cover [/color] holding the plates front and rear. Bezels bought from local auto parts store. Other car has plain black bezel holding Lazer protection cover over lic plate. Plain Jane black lic plate bezels for us.
Are you able to get those legally? Up here if you have them or even anything that obstructs your plate number from straight on or the side or any angle you get a 100+ dollar fine.

We are always happy to advertise for our dealership as they do soo much for my wife and I not just car related but they also sponsor our daughter for hockey and for my rec hockey team etc so I have no quams about returning the favour with a little emblem on my cars and word of mouth when I meet people looking for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I choose not to advertise either. Had the dealer immediately remove the sticker from my liftgate :angryfire: and I removed their license plate frame as soon as I got home. :thumb: I'm not too thrilled about buying a $40K vehicle and then they automatically put that sticker on there. I had them remove it immdiately and made sure there wasn't any glue left behind. ;)

Bonk -

I have the same frame as you, only mine has Black letters. Just got it off of eBay! ;D

I wasn't able to fit the caps over the screws though, I guess I'd need to buy screws with a little smaller diameter head on them? ???

So I just spray-painted the screws with Black Rustoleum spray paint to match the Black Acadia letters...........it looks pretty sweet. 8)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Are you able to get those legally? Up here if you have them or even anything that obstructs your plate number from straight on or the side or any angle you get a 100+ dollar fine.

So far, the photo and lazer protection are legal in all states. I know the Lazer protection works for sure. Paid for my Beltronics RX 65, 5 times over too! Radar Detector is illegal in a couple states out east. My scanner is illegal in the state of MN which reaches out about 30 miles with $100.00 rear deck antenna on Pony machine. CB keeps me occupied in the winter months for road conditions coupled with trucker jibberish.

·
Registered
912 Posts
teetertotter said:

So far, the photo and lazer protection are legal in all states. I know the Lazer protection works for sure. Paid for my Beltronics RX 65, 5 times over too! Radar Detector is illegal in a couple states out east. My scanner is illegal in the state of MN which reaches out about 30 miles with $100.00 rear deck antenna on Pony machine. CB keeps me occupied in the winter months for road conditions coupled with trucker jibberish.
LOL ya radar detectors are illegal in all provinces but BC I think it is and anything that blurs or distorts the view of your plate number from any angle is illegal.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Radar detectors are legal in Calif., and they're sure popular. It is my understanding that all "anti-photo" plate covers are illegal in CA, but that's only what I've heard. We have cameras all over the place around here, but I suspect that they're just for looks. I've yet to hear of a single person getting a citation by photo. I'm not going to experiment, though ;)

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
246 Posts
DSNY FN said:
LOL ya radar detectors are illegal in all provinces but BC I think it is and anything that blurs or distorts the view of your plate number from any angle is illegal.
Unless things have changed recently, and I don't believe they have, radar detectors are legal in Alberta and Sask. as well. ;D

·
Registered
912 Posts
linuxtwit said:
DSNY FN said:
Unless things have changed recently, and I don't believe they have, radar detectors are legal in Alberta and Sask. as well. ;D
I never knew that mind you living in Ontario I have not really looked at the traffic laws for either Alberta or SK to be honest... So how do you think your local Canes are going to do this season?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also do not like the dealer name all over the car, and typically remove the decals. I also removed the plate holder, reversed it and then installed it under the license plate (the graphics face the car). This way the plate is not mounted directly against the car's body, and there is still a black frame around the plate.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
My 07 was on the lot 4 days; not long enough to have the dealer add anything to the vehicle.

VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET

I don't have the bracket nor do I see any holes in the front bumper where it was located; kinda like the holes were never drilled. This vehicle was delivered to AZ and we only have one plate, but if the vehicle had this code installed from the factory then I would assume that the front bumper would at least have the mount holes

·
Registered
423 Posts
im proud of the deal i got so i dont mind leaving the plate ring on. they earned it!
jim trenery if you were wondering.

·
Registered
87 Posts
New York sucks. You can't even put a CLEAR cover over the plate. Frames are iffy too. They are used by many, but if they cover any part of the lettering, they CAN give you a ticket. I prefer the clean look, and usually use a basic black or chrome frame. I have left the dealer ones on right now, as my dealer has been very good to me over the last 3 years. 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts