GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is about time for me to take in the Acadia for some routine maintenance. I was just looking through the manual to make sure I have everything that needs to be done covered. I cannot find any mention of a suggested interval for changing the fuel filter. The maintenance plan shows pretty much everything that should be done down to the obvious oil changes. I would think fuel filter would be included.

Am I somehow overlooking this? ??? Does the Acadia somehow not need to have the fuel filter changed?

If I am missing something here, please forgive me. I just think it is strange that this isn't mentioned as a main component of routine maintenance.

Have any of you had it done? If so, at what mileage?

·
Registered
27 Posts
On most GM vehicles the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly located in the gas tank and not a routine maintence item,

·
Registered
487 Posts
wilmac49 said:
On most GM vehicles the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly located in the gas tank and not a routine maintenance item,
When did this start? I have never had a GM that has had a filter in the tank and all but my 72 Ford Courier have been GM.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 01 Chevy truck had a fuel filter in line that was serviced every 10 to 15 k miles. When I traded in on an 03 chevy truck the filter was part of the fuel pump assembly located in the gas tank.

·
Registered
487 Posts
wilmac49 said:
My 01 Chevy truck had a fuel filter in line that was serviced every 10 to 15 k miles. When I traded in on an 03 chevy truck the filter was part of the fuel pump assembly located in the gas tank.
My 03 Chevy has an in-line on the frame.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The fuel system overview in the GMC factory service manual says that "the fuel pump, located in the fuel tank with the fuel sender, pumps through an in-tank fuel filter to the fuel rail assembly..." In the fuel sender assembly sectional drawing they show a "fuel strainer" with the description that it is "made of woven plastic and functions to filter contaminents and wick fuel. It is self cleaning and requires no maintenance"

So there you have it...it is magic. It filters the chunks and they fall back in the tank when its not running. (my professional engineering interpretation :thumb: ). "Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment or water." (too many chunks)

·
Registered
484 Posts
I guess it is hit and miss on some vehicles. I have seen a few, can't remember them, but in the past and on older models that don't have a fuel filter. Considering most have them I would think it is a better idea to have one and place it where it is easy to access than to put it in the tank. But then I guess they look at it differently. Job security for the dealer maybe????

·
Registered
487 Posts
GerryL said:
The fuel system overview in the GMC factory service manual says that "the fuel pump, located in the fuel tank with the fuel sender, pumps through an in-tank fuel filter to the fuel rail assembly..." In the fuel sender assembly sectional drawing they show a "fuel strainer" with the description that it is "made of woven plastic and functions to filter contaminents and wick fuel. It is self cleaning and requires no maintenance"

So there you have it...it is magic. It filters the chunks and they fall back in the tank when its not running. (my professional engineering interpretation :thumb: ). "Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment or water." (too many chunks)
From your description that just sounds like the pre-pump strainer not a filter. All in tank pumps have this strainer on them to prevent big chunks of stuff from getting to the pump. All the vehicles I have worked on have always had a secondary small particulate filter in line somewhere on the frame. I just don't believe that the only filter is the strainer in the tank, I guess I will have to go look at mine tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but I looked at listings for 2007 & 2008 Acadias and Enclaves on Rock Auto (parts house) and GM Parts Direct. Neither has a fuel filter listed, so either there isn't one or they have not released the part yet (odd seeing as how the vehicles are 3 model years old now).

Every foreign & domestic fuel injected vehicle I own has an in-tank strainer as well as an in-line filter. I've added an aftermarket one to replace the factory units in some situations.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I can't find any mention of a fuel filter, other than the strainer, in GMSI anywhere. It doesn't look like we have one. ???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blue,
Since you have that big garage and nothing too do today, can you crawl under the Acadia and see if you can find a fuel filter. BTW I'm extremely jelous of your garage. Does it have a lift in it? Also, what's your address because next time I'm in Florida I'm going to come house jack you. :blob:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'll be glad to do so once (if?) Mrs. Blue returns with it! I've been having Acadiaitis withdrawals for like 2 weeks now! :D

No lift, but I had this one built w/ 10' ceilings if I ever find one at a bargain price. Last one had an 8' finished ceiling- looked nice, but I poked it a couple of times with the engine hoist boom.

My house is a big house:

Directions: From North: From I-10 take Exit 303 (US-441 South). Turn left on Hwy-10A to Hwy-100. Turn left and go east 21 miles to Lake Butler, turn right on Hwy-231 South for approximately 2 miles. From South and West: From I-75 take Exit 427 (US-90 East) through Lake City to Hwy-100. Turn east and go 21 miles to Lake Butler, turn right on 231 south for approximately 2 miles.

j/k :angel:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
BigGuy said:
Have any of you had it done? If so, at what mileage?
They just changed mine as part of the 36K checkup. Or maybe it was 38K. I can't remember exactly and I don't have the paperwork in front of me. But I do recall that they changed the fuel filter. :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I found out a couple of things:

1) I can no longer slide under the Acadia due to the running boards (maybe a few too many chicken wings last night also :p)
2) I felt/looked along the fuel lines to/from the tank and did not feel/see anything other than what appears to be a pressure sensor. Nothing in the engine bay either.

Until I can jack it up, I can't say for sure, but at this point it looks like for the '09, there is no in-line filter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was told by a service advisor last week that there is no in-line filter on the Acadia. Just what is included as part of the fuel pump and it is maintenance free.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
To me, this is great news ranking right up there with bearings that don't need to be packed and a chassis that does not need to be greased. There are many things that drive me nuts about the newer cars, like the computers that have "bugs" in them. But overall, the newer cars with the lower maintenance required, is a great thing IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I guess I'm old school in this regard... when I put the Corvette brakes on my '95 Trans Am, I noted the sealed front wheel bearing assembly. I recalled reading Chevy High Performance editor Jeff Smith talking about driving his Lingenfelter powered Chevelle in an open road race at well over 160 MPH. One of the things he was thinking was that when Chevy built the car, they never expected it to go that fast and he was wondering about the wheel bearings. The same thought has gone through my mind in the triple digit range, but so far so good. I still like the idea of being able to maintain parts such as these that will at some point wear out. On another forum I belong to, BMW has been criticized for making sealed transmissions, but at least you can service them fairly easily via drain & fill plugs.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Web Raven said:
They just changed mine as part of the 36K checkup. Or maybe it was 38K. I can't remember exactly and I don't have the paperwork in front of me. But I do recall that they changed the fuel filter. :)
Hmmm. Charlene, you might ask your service advisor what the part number of the fuel filter they used was. Sounds like you might have gotten snowed on this one. If they charged you for something that doesn't exist, I would throw a giant sh*t storm right there in the service bay. :-\

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I've read about her posts about the service dude, I doubt that is the case. They treat her like royalty there also. :) Perhaps it was some other type of filter.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
At my dealership they have a "36,000 mile service" that lists all the things that they do as part of that service. It might be, that the fuel filter was listed as one of those things in the computer. If I remember right "lube chassis" is still one of the things on the list and I am pretty sure that is not something that gets done either. I doubt it is outright fraud.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts