GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have a 2011 Acadia Denali (the wife's work vehicle). She works for social services and puts a ton of miles on it, but even though it is garaged, the headlights are starting to get fogged over like mad.

I tried searching through the forums, but I'm trying to figure out if anyone makes replacement headlight housings for the factory HID vehicles and if not can I use an OEM non HID housing and either remove the factory lens cover or gut the inside to work?

I appreciate any help,

thanks,

Stephen Foster

·
Super Moderator
19,649 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, those are just a "little" pricey. Almost tempted to try and mod some aftermarket to make it work...dremel and silicone...
Greetings,
I know this is 2 years old, but an ongoing major issue.

I have a 2011 Acadia Denail with HID's, and melted bulb mounts.
Spent a "discounted" price ($756.00) from a nice GM dealer to get new headlight housings 2 years ago, he said that was 1/2 price. I checked and he was correct.
Only charged me $470.00 to install. A total of $1,226.00 for new headlight assy's..... Aaack
Now.....the same thing has happened again to the OEM housings!!
Heat building behind the dust caps? Vent the caps?

CM, did you reach a solution?
Dremel?
Switching to halogen housings?

Speleos, if we change over from HID to halogen, will there be a wiring issue??

I cannot believe GM has let this go without providing a reasonable solution.
Now, Zero aftermarket vendors carry housings for HID's.
Factory units are $880/per side.....STUPID!

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Greetings,

I have a 2011 Acadia Denail with HID's, and melted bulb mounts....again
Spent a "discounted" price ($756.00) from a nice GM dealer to get new OEM headlight housings 2 years ago, he said that was 1/2 price. I checked and he was correct.
Only charged me $470.00 to install. A total of $1,226.00 for new headlight assy's, without bulbs..... Aaaack

Now.....the same thing has happened again to the OEM housings!!
The dealer said there's nothing he can do. It must be something in my environment.
The 3157 driving lights are flopping around in the housings. Melted away.
Heat building behind the dust caps? Vent the caps?

Does anyone have a reasonable solution??
Switching to halogen housings at $275.00 for both?

Speleos, oh keeper of knowledge, if I change over from HID to halogen, will there be a wiring issue??
I can install my own HID's in those halogen housing I believe.

I cannot believe GM has let this go without providing a reasonable solution for us all.
Now.....Zero aftermarket vendors carry housings for HID's.
Dealer now saying units are $780.00 per side.....STUPID!

Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Dean
Perhaps install the stock projector head lights and go LED? No melting and still good lighting with todays better LED bulbs.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Switching to halogen housings?

Speleos, if we change over from HID to halogen, will there be a wiring issue??

I cannot believe GM has let this go without providing a reasonable solution.
Now, Zero aftermarket vendors carry housings for HID's.
Factory units are $880/per side.....STUPID!

Any Ideas?
Switching to halogen projector housings and using the newer better LED bubls available might be a good choice.
But, yes. .. . wiring would have to be modified if even possible. Otherwise after market housings might also be a choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Switching to halogen projector housings and using the newer better LED bubls available might be a good choice.
But, yes. .. . wiring would have to be modified if even possible. Otherwise after market housings might also be a choice.
Thanks JT, if only somebody made an aftermarket for HID's...
Only the stock 3157 clears, melted the housing very badly....the HID's are OK this time.
Dean

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks JT, if only somebody made an aftermarket for HID's...
Only the stock 3157 clears, melted the housing very badly....the HID's are OK this time.
Dean
This seems to be a problem with HIDs with some housing designs. They run pretty hot and so the heat takes it's toll after a time.
I always liked HIDs, but finally settled on putting LED in a projector housing. With LEDs. . you have the opposite. Most of the heat is expended out the rear heat sink on an LED headlight bulb. So. . . need to have extra volume of air around the rear of the bulb. Many times the rear factory haolgen dust cover should be replaced with an extension giving more air circulation for an LED bulb. (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many times the rear factory haolgen dust cover should be replaced with an extension giving more air circulation for an LED bulb.
I see the GM part number 12335547 is the access cover. Do you know a site that sells modified covers? Do I even need on on a 2013 Acadia Denali if I attempt to put a LED w/fan?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I see the GM part number 12335547 is the access cover. Do you know a site that sells modified covers? Do I even need on on a 2013 Acadia Denali if I attempt to put a LED w/fan?
For LED , yes, you should use an extended cover. I've used the ones listed in this thread #5 - - -

·
Registered
5 Posts
This seems to be a problem with HIDs with some housing designs. They run pretty hot and so the heat takes it's toll after a time.
I always liked HIDs, but finally settled on putting LED in a projector housing. With LEDs. . you have the opposite. Most of the heat is expended out the rear heat sink on an LED headlight bulb. So. . . need to have extra volume of air around the rear of the bulb. Many times the rear factory haolgen dust cover should be replaced with an extension giving more air circulation for an LED bulb. (y)
Still looking for a solution to the driving light issue.....
My HID's are fine, no issue at all.
The 3157 driving lights toasted the housing twice!

I will get new housings, however the housings made for the HID's are EXTREME $$. The halogen aftermarkets are 80% less than the HID's.

Can I adapt my perfectly fine HID's to work in the "halogen only" housings??
I'll probably drill a couple of heat venting holes in the driving light dust cover....and use LED's.

I would rather not mess with the factory wiring that works fine.

Ideas?

Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts