GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed transmission leak on garage floor this past Sunday. Reviewed forum and learned that seal for torque converter seems to be problem. I took it into the dealer today to take a look, in addition to handle for lumbar on driver's side won't stay put. Dealer just called said it was seal but that torque converter was getting worn out, affected seal, thus, a leak. He said they would have to replace torque converter - nice! Have not had any other problems with this vehicle. Has anyone had similar issues like this or am I the first one? Any ideas? thanks

2007 SLT - 1; carbon; 15k miles.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You are the first I can remember for this. Hopefully this will be your only issue. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got the Acadia back this evening. The repair invoice states the following:

1. Transmission leak was coming from flywheel and torque converter area.

2. The engine/transmission assembly was removed. The torque converter was removed and converter stuck in rear of crankshaft. Bushing rough and housing seal leaking.

3. The torque converter and seal were replaced.

4. The service guy said that it appeared that there were no other problems/worn/damaged parts in transmission and the oil was not burnt (big concern). He said the bushing looked to be the cause of the issue and when asked why, he said the part may have been manufactured wrong when made from the die cast.

5. All of the trans oil was replaced with new.

6. Replaced the drivers lumbar control.

As I told him, this car is treated like a baby and is not abused (17 months owned and only 15K) - I could not understand why this happened. I don't believe there is any one car that is perfect, but when we all have paid a pretty penny for this vehicle, exceptional performance is without saying. As stated before, I have not had any problems with this vehicle until now. :angryfire:

Who knows - Good luck to all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got up this morning and checked the garage floor noticing there was transmission fluid on the floor. I picked this up yesterday for a leaking transmission. I took it back to the dealer this morning and just picked it up, again. The invoice stated the following:

1. The left transaxle shaft seal was leaking; seal was replaced.

Nice.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
EAM - Bummer you had to go through that. I hope you get thousands of miles more with 0 issues. :)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
EAM said:
Has anyone had similar issues like this or am I the first one? Any ideas? thanks
I had a slight transmission fluid leak last year when I brought in my Acadia for something else. They noticed it when they had it in. So they changed a seal... I can't recall off hand which one it was, but it was related to the transmission.

I had it in earlier this year for something else and asked them to check it, they said it was fine. It's due for an oil change soon, so I'll probably have them check it again. I'm out of warranty now, but since it leaked before, I'm hoping it would be covered if it starts to leak again.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Web Raven said:
I had it in earlier this year for something else and asked them to check it, they said it was fine. It's due for an oil change soon, so I'll probably have them check it again. I'm out of warranty now, but since it leaked before, I'm hoping it would be covered if it starts to leak again.
This would still be covered under the 5 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty Charlene. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Web Raven said:
This would still be covered under the 5 yr/100K mile powertrain warranty Charlene. ;)
I was kind of thinking it would be. Even if it's just the seal that failed? I really need to get off my butt and bring it in for an oil change and whatnot. The miles just keep slipping away...

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Web Raven said:
GeoHawk said:
Web Raven said:
I was kind of thinking it would be. Even if it's just the seal that failed? I really need to get off my butt and bring it in for an oil change and whatnot. The miles just keep slipping away...
Even the seals would be covered by this. As long as it is a component of the engine, transmission, driveline, etc, the powertrain warranty will cover it.

And I know what you mean by the miles slipping away. I bought my Silverado 4 days before you got your Acadia and I just rolled over 46K on it. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems I have the same problem as EAM. There was an oil leak off the bottom of the transmission and the Dealer felt it was a seal. After dropping the transmission, the mechanic found the seal was 'chewed-up'. The Dealer decided to replace the Torque Converter. Ordered a new converter - it was 2 days late in arriving. Of course the dealer blamed GM. My Acadia has been in the shop for 4 days - its Friday and I have been told it might be ready by Monday. I acquired the GM Service Manuals and read up on replacing the Torque Converter. It is breath-taking on how many parts and components have to get removed - then replaced. I have grave doubts that this car will run well when it is put back together. The ACADIA is an SLT, 2008, delivered mid-April - 8,000 miles. I am talking to the GM District Rep about this, as this is the third repair event in 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jimg said:
It is breath-taking on how many parts and components have to get removed - then replaced. I have grave doubts that this car will run well when it is put back together.
Don't worry too much about the repair. I had to have something similar done to the transmission on my Silverado after it started leaking. The entire transmission had to be removed for the fix and it works perfectly fine now, and that was over 20K miles ago. The certifications that these techs go through to work on certain parts of the vehicle are pretty involved.

I hope your other issues get resolved as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts