GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my monthly E-Mail from OnStar and it says that it will automatically renew on my anniversary date in March, unless I remove my credit card from my file. I called them today to see what my options were. I was offered, the "Directions & connections" package for (I think) $28/month or if I renewed today, I could get the basic package for $13/month (regularly $19)- or an annual basic plan for $150.

I called my insurance company and asked what I gain or loss by dropping it and the answer was that I would lose the vehicle tracking discount- a $70 annual increase in my premium.

So the net cost is $80/year. I can honestly say I have never really found OnStar very useful but for less than $7/month- maybe I'll keep it. Does anyone know if the deal will improve if I let it lapse?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I'm debating the same thing for my Silverado, as the one year thing expires at the end of February. I don't need Directions and Connections as I have a Garmin, but I like the idea of automatic emergency notification with the Safe and Sound plan if the airbags deploy. I also have phone minutes left that I would lose if OnStar lapses.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I pay the $18.95/month for piece of mind. I've met people that had unfortunately gotten into accidents and the OnStar really helped them out. I will admit in the 6 years (different OnStar-equipped vehicles) I have locked my keys in my vehicle 2x! That in itself is worth the price of admission. I lastly the vehicle diagnostics is helpful when the "service engine soon" light comes on, lets you know if you're in trouble or just need to adjust the darn gas cap.

·
Registered
119 Posts
JasonM said:
I thought the phone minutes didn't carry over from year to year?
They do, as long as you're still subscribed to OnStar, and you add minutes to your plan before they expire. Your minutes and your actual plan can expire on different dates, so be aware of that as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called back today to cancel and they sweetened the offer a little.

14 months for $149 (Safe and Sound Plan- $160 with tax)

Just over $11/month less the insurance discount of about $6, so $5/month seems fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I called yesterday to cancel. They offered me $12.95 for the Safe and Sound package. He also rolled over my remaining minutes without me even asking what would happen to them (I did not need to purchase additional minutes).

Can somebody expand a little bit on the insurance discount for "tracking"? I had never heard of this before. Did you need to give this information to you insurance agent in order for him to apply the discount?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am curious about the discount as well. I just wrote my agent (state farm) an email and will let you know what they say. I am happy to hear there is a discount if you call up to cancel!

Ryan

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll be interested to hear what your State Farm agent says. Mine said there is no discount through them if you have OnStar :(

·
Registered
730 Posts
I received an email today for an automatic renewal of my Onstar subscription which expires on May...$28.90 per month (yes, they have my credit card on file). I'm still thinking whether to renew. Onstar was just okay for my travel needs..some small imperfections but nonetheless okay but that Eclipse AVN6620 nav system sure looks like a good unit. ;D
I'm scheduling a visit to my friends in Toronto, Canada sometime in May so I'll be making a decision pretty soon. How is Onstar nav coverage up north?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Just called to renew mine. Told them upfront that I wanted the 1-year for $150 deal for the Safe and Sound plan that I heard others were getting. They immediately said "yes, we can do that for you" and signed me up. The actual price they said they would charge was $148.92 for a year. They did want my credit card number on file, which I'm fine with because they will send me an email notifying me of auto-renewal 30 days before it happens. So if I don't like the pricing next year I can always cancel it. It was a worthwhile 5-minute phone call to save $50.

They also tried to sell me 100 phone minutes for $14.95. I told them I wasn't buying minutes that expire on a phone I never use. If they wanted to sell me minutes that never expire, I would have bought.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just FYI -- Called OnStar to renew, and asked if they could do a better price than the $199/yr posted on the website. Transferred me to someone who could help me with my "renewal discount", as she called it. That person offered the $148.92/yr. I asked if there would be any further discount if I re-upped for 2 years instead of just 1. She said it would be the same rate, but she would throw in 2 extra months/year. So I ended up getting 28 months for $297.84 -- $10.63/mo. That phone call saved me over $150 -- even more if the rate goes up in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
dbacker8 said:
Just FYI -- Called OnStar to renew, and asked if they could do a better price than the $199/yr posted on the website. Transferred me to someone who could help me with my "renewal discount", as she called it. That person offered the $148.92/yr. I asked if there would be any further discount if I re-upped for 2 years instead of just 1. She said it would be the same rate, but she would throw in 2 extra months/year. So I ended up getting 28 months for $297.84 -- $10.63/mo. That phone call saved me over $150 -- even more if the rate goes up in the meantime.
does that include the directions also?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just to keep the stories updated:

Went to renew my Onstar after the Year 1 trial which was expiring in less than 1 week. I was quoted $299 for the plan with directions and $199 for the year for the safe and sound only plan. I told the agent that was too much and wanted to cancel. She immediately transferred me to retentions who offered $149.99 for a year of safe and sound. I again was polite but said that was too much and wanted to cancel. She then offered 2 additional months if I put my CC on file, so 14 months for $149.99 which I accepted. Now next year I have to remember to call in advance of the expiration date to play the game again or it will auto renew at $199.

So... 14 months at $149.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
11 dollars a month; that's seems like a good deal

·
Registered
540 Posts
I had called Onstar to find out any deals since I was coming up for renewal . They didn't have any. So when it came time I called to cancel. They transferred me to some who offered me 12 months @$9.99 a month. I said why wasn't I told of this two weeks ago when I called. I told them I had made up my mind to cancel and thats what I did. It just wasn't something I needed. I did tell the person at Onstar they should throw in 30 free minutes a month,or free incoming calls along with the lower price in the future if they want to keep customers.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
I had called Onstar to find out any deals since I was coming up for renewal . They didn't have any. So when it came time I called to cancel. They transferred me to some who offered me 12 months @$9.99 a month. I said why wasn't I told of this two weeks ago when I called. I told them I had made up my mind to cancel and thats what I did. It just wasn't something I needed. I did tell the person at Onstar they should throw in 30 free minutes a month,or free incoming calls along with the lower price in the future if they want to keep customers.

Bobby
Just like XM/Sirius; they don't really want you to have a lower price, but then again they don't want to lose business as in your case

1 - 20 of 30 Posts