GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Acadia came off the lot with some pretty heavy water spots on the windshield. Washing with the regular car soap didn't budge it.

Any suggestions on how to get it off? I've read that the finest grit steel wool works, but that can't be good for the glass.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The water spots are propably mineral etching, you can apply an automotive polish on glass to remove these spots. They also sell glass polish products at sites like Autogeeks.com. I would try the normal auto p[olish before going out and purchasing a special product. I have also used a clay bar on my windows, they remove all the contaminants (bugs, sap etc...) Not sure how it will work on mineral glass etching though, if it is not to penetrated into the glass I would think this would work.

Check out this link from Autogeeks on water spots and cleaning http://www.autogeek.net/waterspots.html

·
Registered
294 Posts
A product called CLR (calcium, lime, & rust) works. Just put a small amount on a rag and rub. I try to not touch the paint -- it may not do damage, but prudence is always best. Then use a good glass cleaner. I prefer Stoners Invisible Glass.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Waterspots are generally calcium carbonate and quite alkaline. Try a little vinegar (a very mild acid) on a rag on the glass and give it a little time. You can rinse the whole thing with water when you're done, but the vinegar is pretty benign and many folks use that for water spots on paint anyway. As mentioned, any of those rust/scale removers will work also although I would be more sure to get them completely rinsed off when done.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Cool, I will try out also. I noticed if I have my wipers set to go faster than needed, if the rain is light, the spots show up bigtime, but mostly on the driver's wiper side. The passenger wiper's side has no spots. Not sure if it's the angle of the wiper or whatever. If I put the wipers on intermitent, then they don't show as much. Weird...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
firebird said:
If it were mine it would be back to the Dealer or at least the 1st oil change unless its really bad.
I've had too many bad experiences with dealers. I'll only go there if it's a warranty job that I can't easily do myself.

It's amazing how many ways an oil change can be screwed up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GerryL said:
Waterspots are generally calcium carbonate and quite alkaline. Try a little vinegar (a very mild acid) on a rag on the glass and give it a little time. You can rinse the whole thing with water when you're done, but the vinegar is pretty benign and many folks use that for water spots on paint anyway. As mentioned, any of those rust/scale removers will work also although I would be more sure to get them completely rinsed off when done.
I like this suggestion. I'll give the vinegar a go tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely try the vinegar first...if that doesn't work you'll need something more aggressive.

I've had good luck with both Diamondite's Glasswork System Kit and Zaino's glass polish. The Diamondite kit is easier of the two. I did a video demo for Diamondite and was very impressed with the results of the kit. Here is the video:

http://www.auto-geek.net/diamonditevideo/diamondite.htm

and here are some more shot of what I've been able to remove:

Before cleaning

After cleaning with Invisible Glass and also straight vinegar

Close up of spots

After using the Diamondite kit

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I've tried vinegar, Invisible glass, a standard clay bar and standard car polish. None worked.

I guess I'll try DP Glass Restorer next and then Diamondite Glass System. What a pain!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Once you get the spots off, use some Rain-X on all your windows. Rain-X will help to keep the spots from forming in the future. It 'smooths' the glass preventing the minerals from sticking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
xseler said:
Once you get the spots off, use some Rain-X on all your windows. Rain-X will help to keep the spots from forming in the future. It 'smooths' the glass preventing the minerals from sticking.
Yeah, I've got a big bottle that I've been using for years. It doesn't take much. Problem is, the spots were there before I got a chance to protect it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I ended up buying a jar of Water Spot Remover from the local All Parts for $10. It looks and smells like toothpaste. With hardly any rubbing, it took the spots right off. Success!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts