GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little premature, but there is a bill in the Texas House limiting the amount of tint on the back windows of cars now. If this passes (the police supposedly want this) the tint on the Acadia will have to go. I am trying to decide if it is worth a letter to my Rep. How hard would it be to take off the tinting? I am really afraid of how hot it would be with my black interior.

No matter what, I like the tinting. I've seen the Saudi Acadia and it looks nice, but I really like people not being able to see my kids in the back.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Did you ADD tint to the windows after purchase, or more importantly, Did anyone add tint to the vehicle other then the tint that came with the vehicle as it left the production line?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
My driver and passenger door windows are tinted aftermarket. If AZ passed some law about it here; I'm taking the ticket and the tint is staying; the vehicle is much cooler with the tint

·
Registered
487 Posts
If it's factory tint you can't remove it, the glass is produced with tint in the glass. I can't imagine they are going to ticket every single truck and SUV that came with factory tint.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't add anything, but the news article said it would affect about one million cars. They were showing a Toyota car lot and explaining how the tints on the back of them would be too dark. Then they cut to a tint shop and he explained how much of a problem it would be. Dad had an Infinity that had factory tint on it and I got a ticket driving it in Michigan. I even had my Texas license, but because it had Michigan plates....

Maybe if it is passed into law it won't be inforced. Yeah, right, I got a ticket in my neighborhood for a dead headlight. It happened at 5, at dusk, and the light had gone out on my way to work. Where's Chuck Norris when I need him?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
<Skips default Chuck Norris joke>

You should read the exact text of the law. Here in FL nearly every law on the books has the word except in it somewhere. For back window tinting, there is an except in there that if you have outside rear view mirrors the tint statute doesn't apply. Same concept as a panel van, which has solid rear doors.

Here is the law:
316.2954 Windows behind the driver; restrictions on sunscreening material.--

(1) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle any windows behind the driver are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except (told you so ;)) [/color] as specified below:

(a) Sunscreening material consisting of film which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 15 percent in the visible light range; however, sunscreening material which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles.

(b) Perforated sunscreening material which, when tested in conjunction with existing glazing or film material, has a total reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent and a light transmittance of no less than 30 percent. For those products or materials having different levels of reflectance, the highest reflectance from the product or material will be measured by dividing the area into 16 equal sections and averaging the overall reflectance. The measured reflectance of any of those sections may not exceed 50 percent.

(c) Louvered materials, if the installation of the materials does not reduce driver visibility by more than 50 percent.

(d) Privacy drapes, curtains and blinds, provided such covering is in an open and secure position when the motor vehicle is being operated on any public highway, road, or street.

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road, or street, on which vehicle the rear window is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent, unless the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements of s. 316.294.[/color]

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A state cannot givr you a ticket for factory tint. It's pricacy glass, which cannot be changed. New York has laws for the tint as well, but it apllies to aftermarket tinting only. If the officer gives you a ticket, it's due to not knowing the laws. Fight it in court, and you will win.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The crappy thing about this proposed law is that it would not affect police cars or limo's or certain other vehicles. If this no tint law is so good for the police then why dont they want their cars un-tinted??? I dont see this passing, it will affect too many people that already have their cars tinted and put a lot of tint shops out of business. Its too hot here in texas to not allow tint.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I can't advise on limos, but a police vehicle is often the place where most patrol cops will spend a majority of their time. Unlike others that work out in the heat, they are usually required to wear body armor which holds body heat in, so the car is the only way for them to remain relatively cool in summer months. Here in FL we had several officers get medical certifications as to the need for tint when the department prohibited it on the cars. The cars with canines always had very dark tint on the rear and side glass due to the dog living in there for 8+ hours a shift.

I had a talk with a driver once that had his entire windshield tinted. While this would be OK on a clear sunny day, what happens when you have to drive at night and you can't see the kid/bike/etc. on the side of the road? If a side window is too darkly tinted, it becomes a safety issue since not only can't others see in, you can't see out and might become involved in a crash. The same logic applies to the "special" tinted covers people like to put over lights on vehicles that reduce their visibility or light output.

I doubt a law would ban all tint, it would usually limit it to a percentage of visible light transmission.

I found a link with the several state laws on window tint:
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Texas current law:

You are here: HOME -> Texas Window Tint Law
Texas Window Tint Law
Texas Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN TEXAS?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Texas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Blue, so are you trying to say that a police officers comfort is more important than mine??

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
No, the point was due to the added heat-retaining equipment worn, this is a reason for tinting police vehicle windows. I know some do not wear the body armor due to high heat on details where they are outside a majority of the time such as fires, hurricanes, etc. One could say that the dog's comfort is more important that the handler's though, as tinting those windows was never an issue on any cars I was aware of.

At any rate, it is a matter for the legislators in your state to decide, so they need to hear from you about it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Here in N.Y.C we don't really have the heat issue you have to the south of us. When the police want to give tickets to cover there quotas they do. I have to agree that some of the tint(not factory) is way to dark to drive safely. My wife received 4 tickets (one for each window tinted) She had a 2 door with windows in the down position and both rear 1/4 glass windows tinted. She was given 4 tickets by 4 different police officers that were in the unmarked car with TINTED WINDOWS! They are supposed to have a light meter with them to measure the light passing thru the tint(they didn't) but the judge said they were able to judge that by their experience as police officers. I showed the judge a picture of the car with the tint removed and he didn't believe me. I told him the car is in the parking lot be my guest and check it out. He reduced the the fines and I was out of there. No justice just CASH!
I also found out that the New York states law ( tint law) applies to all vehicles. That includes Official vehicle,police,fire,mayor,etc. You know they don't enforce those.My Acadia and Silverado both have the factory dark tint and I wanted to do a light tint on the two front door windows but it is not worth the hassle.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Bobby,
Abuses like that take place and it's never good to read about them, especially when the court upholds them. One violation should be one ticket- and if it is equipment related and fixed/brought into compliance, it should be dismissed for a small fee/costs. That's what is done here in FL- I believe CA does the same thing known as a "fix-it" ticket. I haven't worked the street in about a decade, but recall they were like $7 when I did. I'm sure they are a lot more now since it seems like fines/costs go up every year. Florida law also bans traffic ticket quotas in F.S. 316.640:
2. An agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. is prohibited from establishing a traffic citation quota. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.

Of interest is that this does not specify county & municipal officers in so many words.

:soapbox:
If you "follow the money" you'll see most of it goes into several trust funds, many of which are unrelated to law enforcement (head injury, spinal injury, court clearing, etc.), and most of the remainder goes to local agencies for crossing guards, training, or other "lawful purpose". When I did a paper on this many years ago, Children & Family Services were getting the first $300K each year from ticket fines. ??? The city where I worked most of my career started tacking on a surcharge of a couple dollars when they found out they could do so. Like about any other thing, once the hogs gather to the trough, it is hard to wean them from it. Another thing not considered is that the Clerk of Court pays money monthly. They have the benefit of a month's interest on monies collected before paying it to the state.

Many years ago when I was a line supervisor I had written to the boss with a legislative proposal that fines be raised on at-fault moving violation tickets from crashes, since that was where we were spending a lot of time. In the example I cited ;), a driver could plow into the rear of a car and push it into a third, causing several injuries and tens of thousands worth of damage and (at the time) get a $75 ticket. The same driver traveling 11 MPH over the limit would be subject to a ticket well over $100. This strategy is absolutely defensible from quota criticism since an agency does not control how many crashes take place. I also pointed out that we had a flat fee of $25 for traffic homicide reports regardless of the amount of time spent on them (usually 24-40 man hours, criminal cases were often much more). I broke down the hourly cost of investigators plus review and said if we were in the private sector we'd be out of business. Needless to say, it never went anywhere.

I'll pipe down now. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Bobby,
Abuses like that take place and it's never good to read about them, especially when the court upholds them. One violation should be one ticket- and if it is equipment related and fixed/brought into compliance, it should be dismissed for a small fee/costs. That's what is done here in FL- I believe CA does the same thing known as a "fix-it" ticket. I haven't worked the street in about a decade, but recall they were like $7 when I did. I'm sure they are a lot more now since it seems like fines/costs go up every year. Florida law also bans traffic ticket quotas in F.S. 316.640:
2. An agency of the state as described in subparagraph 1. is prohibited from establishing a traffic citation quota. A violation of this subparagraph is not subject to the penalties provided in chapter 318.

Of interest is that this does not specify county & municipal officers in so many words.

:soapbox:
If you "follow the money" you'll see most of it goes into several trust funds, many of which are unrelated to law enforcement (head injury, spinal injury, court clearing, etc.), and most of the remainder goes to local agencies for crossing guards, training, or other "lawful purpose". When I did a paper on this many years ago, Children & Family Services were getting the first $300K each year from ticket fines. ??? The city where I worked most of my career started tacking on a surcharge of a couple dollars when they found out they could do so. Like about any other thing, once the hogs gather to the trough, it is hard to wean them from it. Another thing not considered is that the Clerk of Court pays money monthly. They have the benefit of a month's interest on monies collected before paying it to the state.

Many years ago when I was a line supervisor I had written to the boss with a legislative proposal that fines be raised on at-fault moving violation tickets from crashes, since that was where we were spending a lot of time. In the example I cited ;), a driver could plow into the rear of a car and push it into a third, causing several injuries and tens of thousands worth of damage and (at the time) get a $75 ticket. The same driver traveling 11 MPH over the limit would be subject to a ticket well over $100. This strategy is absolutely defensible from quota criticism since an agency does not control how many crashes take place. I also pointed out that we had a flat fee of $25 for traffic homicide reports regardless of the amount of time spent on them (usually 24-40 man hours, criminal cases were often much more). I broke down the hourly cost of investigators plus review and said if we were in the private sector we'd be out of business. Needless to say, it never went anywhere.

I'll pipe down now. :)
That's ok Blue. Every state is different and unfortunately New York is very bad with some things.I think the tickets were $65 each and they did reduce them to I believe $40 each(court cost included). I think there pushing $115 each now. If you had an old lets say Lincoln Towncar that had not only the 4 door windows but also those little vent/wing window in each door you would get hit for eight tickets,one for each piece of tinted glass. My friend was recently pulled over in Florida for passing a pulled over police cruiser at full speed. He was given a warning but had no idea it was a law. It was at an on ramp on the highway so he just accelerated. He treated the officer with respect and recieved the same. Thats the way it always should be.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I got one of those so called "fix-it-tickets" before with my 83' Grand Prix and it was for tinted windows, there was no cost, I just had to remove it and take it to the station to prove that it had been removed. It was a bear to remove, #1 I took my time on installing it so I did a really good job and #2 so it would not start to come off from the window going up/down I took clear finger nail polish and sealed the edge of the tint to the window(it really looked good). Back to my story I lived in Mich at the time and it was dark out when I got the ticket. Fingernail polish remover and lots of elbow grease and I was back to stock. It sucked :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts