GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but couldn't find any detail. Can anyone provide detailed instructions on removing the rear door panels on an '08 Acadia SLE? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after some head scratching, I figured it out. There are three Torx 30 bolts that secure the panel. One is located behind the door latch underneath a plastic cover. If you look there is a slot in the cover on the outside bottom. I used a small screwdriver and gently pried it out. The other two bolts are behind the plastic trim piece that covers the door pull. It also had a small slot at the bottom to pry with a small screwdriver. After the bolts are removed you can start at an upper corner and proceed around the panel pulling it loose from the door (there are about 10 plastic clips.

I did this to replace the crappy stock SLE speakers. The magnets on the stock speaker were the size of a quarter. What an improvement with the new speakers. I'm going to tackle the front speakers next.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did the same. Be careful with the fronts, there is not much depth (will hit the window when down) and the stock speakers are built on a big cone. I actually just butchered the stock speakers by cutting out the cloth, magnet, basket, etc. and bolted the new speaker to what was left of the stock cone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you mind sharing what type of speakers you replaced the stock ones with? Are you running off the factory stereo? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did it about a year ago, so I don't remember all the details.

The speakers are Clarion, cheap but decent stuff I got off overstock.com. Fronts are 2 way (kept the factory tweeters) and rears are 3 way. I also bought a JVC compact sub that will fit under the rear seat but haven't gotten around to installing it. The factory stuff is 4 ohm fronts and 8 ohm rears. (Presumably the tweeters are also 4 ohm and wired in series with front doors).

The radio is stock. There are no line level outputs that I know of- so adding an amp would require speaker level inputs. I considered upgrading but didn't want the hassle of the converters for GM LAN bus, warning chimes, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed Infinity Kappa 63.9i (3-way 6 1/2 inch) speakers in the rear doors. I used the mounting bracket that came with the speakers (from Infinity). The in-door depth was the same as the factory speakers. I am running off the factory stereo. Vast improvement in sound. I'm going to replace the front speakers next week (looking at component systems).

·
Registered
730 Posts
jseck2 said:
I did it about a year ago, so I don't remember all the details.
I also bought a JVC compact sub that will fit under the rear seat but haven't gotten around to installing it.
This is what I was waiting for.

The radio is stock. There are no line level outputs that I know of- so adding an amp would require speaker level inputs. I considered upgrading but didn't want the hassle of the converters for GM LAN bus, warning chimes, etc.
Adding an amp to the factory stereo is not much of a problem. A line-out converter will do the trick. Onstar, chimes etc are still functioning. Adding an aftermarket receiver plus amp is a different case. There need to be some wiring modifications to the GMOS LAN adapter to make it to work properly. To hear the blinker you need to add a separate SPDT relay...i do not need to hear it. To hear Onstar, door chimes, etc you need to install another separate speaker just for this purpose..ugggh :banghead: I may not renew Onstar so it's okay for me (i have aftermarket nav system). One other problem I'm experiencing is the popping sound each time i release the parking brake when the radio is on. I make a mental note to release the parking brake each time I get on the vehicle and before I start the engine. I'm working with Metra on this one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have Polk dB 6501 components up front and Polk dB 651 on the rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sorry to hijac the thread, but... kram, when you installed the components up front, did you replace the factory tweeters with those from the 6501? Where did you mount your amp?

jseck2, have you considered mounting your sub under the center console? I read in this forum that with the bose package, the sub is mounted under the console, directly below the hvac controls.

·
Registered
730 Posts
all factory speakers were replaced, including the tweeters. the amp is located inside the cargo tray behind the 3rd row. I do not recommend these speakers if you do not plan on replacing your factory radio..it sounds clearer but leaner and different than stock..and different is not always necessarily better..adding an amp is not even good enough (for me). Sounded so much better when I added an aftermarket receiver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts