GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Title says it (mostly ) all. Have a ACDelco replacement cap (see pic) and the retainer T piece at the end of the tether is very rigid. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice before I dig into this thing to ensure I don't break the T part while installing the thing.. Thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Fixture Rim Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Try soaking the 'T' and part of the tether cord in hot water to see how pliable it gets and if you can fold the tether cord against the 'T' enough to pass through the slot.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Title says it (mostly ) all. Have a ACDelco replacement cap (see pic) and the retainer T piece at the end of the tether is very rigid. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice before I dig into this thing to ensure I don't break the T part while installing the thing.. Thanks.
View attachment 12042
Agree. .. do it on a hot day or heat the 'T" end of the tether up a bit maybe with a hair dryer or low power heat gun set on low heat.

It should just pop into the slot fairly easily then.

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
Two types of tethers exist - the 'T' type and one which attaches to the fuel door. You could use a cap with the second type of tether if the fuel door has a hole where the tether end is mounted to it. IIRC, my Acadia's fuel cap tether was fastened to the fuel door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all. good ideas all around. I think I'll have to be a little more destructive than I would care to be on the one currently in place, but oh well...

·
Super Moderator
23,548 Posts
... I think I'll have to be a little more destructive than I would care to be on the one currently in place, but oh well...
Just cut the old tether close to the slot and let the 'T' along with the short piece fall into the quarter panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts