GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first white color vehicle and I have not seen this issue on other silver color before. The vehicle saw its first snow this winter and now it has small (1/8" in daimeter) rust color marks on the tailgate and on the bottom part of the doors (even on plastic parts of the vehicle). I tried removing it and are really hard to remove. Even tried the turtle wax bug remover. If anyone can help me with an easy way to remove those marks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Harjap said:
This is my first white color vehicle and I have not seen this issue on other silver color before. The vehicle saw its first snow this winter and now it has small (1/8" in daimeter) rust color marks on the tailgate and on the bottom part of the doors (even on plastic parts of the vehicle). I tried removing it and are really hard to remove. Even tried the turtle wax bug remover. If anyone can help me with an easy way to remove those marks.
Do you have any idea what it is? Paint/primer? Any bridges being painted in your area? Since it is on the paint and the plastic you may need 2 different solutions. I use WD40 for road tar on the paint. 3M Imperial hand glaze also may help to remove from the paint but don't let it touch any plastic because it will damage it. Waxing will be required after using both. Be careful with the plastic! Let us know how you make out.

Bobby

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have seen the same rust color marks on my white diamond Acadia in the same areas. I hand washed it for the first time last week and most of the spots seemed to come off with some hard scrubbing with a wash mitt.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Harjap said:
A photo or 2 would be nice to see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have these marks on my black Xterra. I was going to go to the dealer for this as I also have a small rust bubble forming along the bottom edge of the tailgate. I figured this was related. Some of the spots appear to have gone though the clear-coat as well. So far no spots on the Acadia.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same exact problem on my 2008 Summit White Acadia. The first time I saw them I swore the finish was bad and I was getting rust already... and nearly had heart failure.

As it turns out, they come off pretty easily with either a clay-bar or some fine rubbing compound (I actually used both the first time), and once I got a good coat of wax on it they seem to come off with a good washing. I have no idea what the heck is causing them, but would guess that it is a pollutant of some sort. I live in the mid-atlantic so there's plenty of candidates in the area...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
As I said earlier, photos would be great. Are these uniform in size, and little raised dark circles like dark brown or black?

Like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The color is not that dark but they are consistant in size. The color is just like the rust has started. I tried to take a picture but it is dark out now and because of flash the spots cannot be seen. I will try to take it in sunlight and post it tomorrow

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
OK I'll take a guess ??? Since it is rust I will say that it is worn tire cords and such from the road. When the car is wet these things flip up from the road and stick to the wet car, when the car dries the little pcs of metal that are stuck there will start to rust. JMO

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Wow, odd..

I would suggest, a good cleaning/washing, a clay bar procedure, and wax (as long as the clay bar removed them) then see if they come back.

I find it hard to believe this is the paint or vehicle problem, and not just something adhering to the paint. A good coat of wax should help cleaning easier in the future.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would definately say steel dust of some type. All you near a high traffic train area? Any kind of metal shop? I had similar spot on my older car that was in my garage. I had used my brake lathe and the steel dust actually rusted when It got damp.

Bobby

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Harjap said:
Below are some pictures showing the spots on driver and passenger side doors behind the tire.
Those photos and your comment make me curious. Do the spots appear only behind the front tires? That would seem to strongly suggest the tires are kicking up something from the roadway as opposed to something settling on the car from above or while it's parked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not live closer to railway track or where there can be metal dust. If it were due to this then it would be on top of hood and roof. To me it is something to do with snow hitting these area due to tire splash. Could be because of salt on the road during snow season. There was none of these marks in December before snow. All the washes that were done on the vehicle were touchless during winter season.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These marks are behind front and rear tires even on the plastic and on the tail gate. The size of marks on tail gate are much smaller than these.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Those are exactly like the spots on my Xterra. The thing is I am seeing it on a different make vehicle but, it looks the same. I too have snow in the winter. I am going to the Nissan dealership to see what they have to say. My spots are on the back tailgate and the back part of the vehicle. I always wax at least two times a year. I have never done a clay bar but I will look into it. I do not live by train tracks or any steel mill, etc. Even though the problem car is a rice burner, I will update what my dealer says.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Sounding more and more like road spatter. If there are no spots anywhere on the hood or on the leading edge of the roof just above the top of the windshield, that settles it in my mind. The remaining questions are, what is the material itself and is this the first year anyone has seen these spots?

·
Registered
87 Posts
How NEW is the Acadia? More than likely it is brake dust. My Avalanche had it, and I took it to the dealer, who actually detailed it once for free.

·
Registered
540 Posts
biggs4040 said:
How NEW is the Acadia? More than likely it is brake dust. My Avalanche had it, and I took it to the dealer, who actually detailed it once for free.
The brake dust could be the answer. Also It was mentioned the car is kept clean. If it just turned up during the winter months I was also thinking of road splash as mentioned in another post. Do they use chains in that area? It may be splashing that up with the slush and the salt is rusting right away.Just a guess. I hate to see an Acadia not looking it's best ;D

Bobby

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Harjap said:
All the washes that were done on the vehicle were touchless during winter season.
try and do a real washing by hand, light pressure to remove the spots. Then Clay bar it... Then wax. A good coat of wax should help remove future rounds of the spots.
Touchless wash will only get some stuff off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.