GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide if we should order the remote start package. We live in Arizona so it would be nice if the car could start cooling down before we got in it. However it's been my experience that the car really has to be moving before the AC starts to blow cold. Can anyone tell me if they've used the remote start on a really really hot day? I'm not expecting the car to completely cool down, but was it blowing cool or cold when you entered?

·
Registered
20 Posts
get it ! if available and the trailering and the heads up display will be more expensive if u get it later . now i feel bad not getting the heads up display after i got a speeding ticket , good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Honestly, I enjoy lots of extras on my cars, but honestly, I had the remote start once and never used it.

I live in a hot part of Texas, and the Acadia air conditioner is great. Even with black leather seats, we are cooled off very quickly.

It's just one of those things that is fun to have, but it is certainly not a make or break option for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm in NC, pretty hot and humid, especially this summer, we've had two weeks in a row close to or above 100 and still counting; the hot weather is supposed to break by the weekend. I've used the remot to keep the a/c running with the engine on and the doors locked, for my dogs; one has had to go to the vet several times, but doesn't want to get in without the other dog coming along, and it's not practical to get them both out simultaneously, so this is handy for me. Works just fine, but you have to depress the button on the fob for several seconds. It'll only run for 10 minutes, though; I haven't checked to see if it can be reset for longer.

I really think it would be nice for defrosting in winter, just turn the defroster on when you park it the previous evening, and start it from inside the house ... ten minutes later, warm car and no scraping the windshield.

I honestly didn't care about the remote start feature when I ordered it, though. I got it because it comes with the convenience package, and the rear window is fairly high, so the backup sensor seemed like a good feature to have, to take care of the blind spot. The nav with backup camera was more money than I wanted to spend.

Michael

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have little kids in car seats and/or pets i think this is a great feature. Even if you start the car only 10 seconds before you get in having that AC pumping makes a big difference.

We have 11 month old twins and my wife swears by this feature.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd get it. I've started my car while sitting in church. It's nice and cool for the ride home.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I also got it as part of the convenience package. Other than showing it off to friends a couple times when I first got it, I haven't even thought about using it in over 5 months. It's very hot here most of the year and the car will cool far quicker by opening the windows for a few minutes when you first get in. Maybe when it gets cold it would be useful to get the defroster going but it's not something I would have specifically asked to have. It is one of the few options that can easily be added later, though I don't know how the cost compares to getting it with the car.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I ordered it on mine. I have it on my current car and on the really hot days 95-105 I remote start from work before I leave and it is nice and cool. You are right that it does not cool quite as effectively as when driving, but it really takes the extreeme heat out ahead of time and keeps you from sweating when you get in the car. You just need to remember to have the AC on.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Its all a matter of degree. In hot weather (and its been 105+ here for the last two weeks) its amazingly effective in my opinion. No its not a refrigerator when you climb in but its not an oven either like it would otherwise be. I thought it was a joke at first but I find myself using it and appreciating it surprisingly often in the hot weather.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in AZ and I've used it a bunch this summer. It does help speed up the cooling process so that by the time you get in and get going the car is almost cooled down. It takes some getting used to as its still not a habit for me and I forget to start it often. It can be somewhat frustrating as you have to hit the lock twice before you remote start and sometimes inside a store you can't tell if the signal reached and if it started or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in an area that in the summer is hot or really hot everyday. I have never owned a vehicle with remote start before and love it on our Acadia. No more complaints from the kids that it's too hot to get in.

·
Registered
123 Posts
BUY, YOU WON'T REGRET IT.... but if you don't buy you will regret it.

G

·
The A/C in the Acadia starts working quickly even on the hottest days of summer in NY (100-110).

Definitely worth it when you add the combined value of the audio/visual rear park assist.

·
Registered
111 Posts
IMHO, the back-up sensor should be standard on every SUV. I didn't get it with the Acadia because they didn't find one with the other options I wanted and that package, but I found that my Expedition's went off even when nothing was behind me. It was quite frustrating and not reliable. But, again, I think they should be standard on large/tall vehicles.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Funny, I use the remote start almost all the time. I like getting in and not having to wait for a minute or so for the engine to warm up before I can go anywhere, etc.

Regardless of outside temp, the A/C blows cold pretty darned quick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I love it here in Florida. I hit it before I leave the gym and by the time I get to the car I am a cool and happy man. Also I believe if you already have the remote start you will be able to upgrade the key fob as soon as it is available, which will have a digital display of temp., tire pressure, etc and will extend the range considerably from what I have read.

·
Registered
262 Posts
and most importantly of all, that new fob will give you feedback that it actually started. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
donlovestheas said:
I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I love it here in Florida. I hit it before I leave the gym and by the time I get to the car I am a cool and happy man. Also I believe if you already have the remote start you will be able to upgrade the key fob as soon as it is available, which will have a digital display of temp., tire pressure, etc and will extend the range considerably from what I have read.
Interesting, when did it say it would be out and any idea on how much the upgrade will be?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts