GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I tried to start my 2011 Acadia with the remote start the car did a clicking noise and wouldn’t crank so I hooked jumper cables to the battery and about 10 minutes later it finally cranked check engine light came on car runs fine just not sure why it doing that. Did it for the first time a month or two ago and one time in between and the first time was after we tried to start with the remote as well.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Battery dying...?
How long between starts when it happens? How cold when it happens?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How long between starts when it happens...?

·
Super Moderator
20,845 Posts
First thing to do would be scan for stored fault codes and clear them. Be sure to record the codes as they could be useful if the CEL is illuminated again. Intermittent nature suggests a relay could be going bad. Change the CRNK relay and see if the trouble returns.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... is it sitting for a while when it won't start?
No not really longer than a day.. this time it done it we went inside a house for about 30 mins and as we were walking back to the car I tried the remote start it made a clicking noise and wouldn’t crank

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This only happens when you are using the remote to start the vehicle??? When you do normal start there is no problem???

George

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Have the battery and alternator-charging system checked. Also check for any pending or permanent codes by having a tech or auto parts store perform and OBD scan.
And. . . a 9 to 10 year old vehicle can develop poor electrical connections, corrosion at ground points, in fuse boxes and more. Battery cables should be checked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This only happens when you are using the remote to start the vehicle??? When you do normal start there is no problem???

George
No if I try the remote start and it won’t start the key won’t crank it either
The car started at someone’s house last night and they just tried to start it with the key wouldn’t crank then when they tried again they hit the gas Pedal and it cranked
The first time she tried it last night after we turned it off she tried with the key and only the clicking noise happened and wouldn’t crank

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
look at the fuse box in the engine bay.
Remove and inspect the CRNK relay. if the pins looks ok, swap it with the rear defroster relay or a similar numbered relay.
See if the starting issue goes away.

Reactions: Toddrichard92

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had batteries that fail and produce intermittent starting problems. Have your charging system checked, and the next time this happens, take a look at the battery voltage. A battery with a bad cell may read 12+ volts with no load, but drop to under 10 volts when you try to crank it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 and sounds like a similar issue I had. Ended up replacing the starter and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I tried to start my 2011 Acadia with the remote start the car did a clicking noise and wouldn’t crank so I hooked jumper cables to the battery and about 10 minutes later it finally cranked check engine light came on car runs fine just not sure why it doing that. Did it for the first time a month or two ago and one time in between and the first time was after we tried to start with the remote as well.
I have a 2012 and it happened to me. I replaced the crank/starter relay. about $18. It is a starter relay in the fuse box but is marked as Crank. Ensure you put the new one in with the number on the side on the same side as the old one. Keep the old one as back up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
2015 and I'm on my 2nd starter with similar symptoms though I never let it get that bad. If the battery is healthy and the crank relay swap done then time for a new starter.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
2015 and I'm on my 2nd starter with similar symptoms though I never let it get that bad. If the battery is healthy and the crank relay swap done then time for a new starter.
A good possibility. Amazing to me these starters last as long as they do. They were able to downsize starter motors many years back when new more powerful magnets were developed. However, that also reduces the size of the armature coils inside the starter motor. So, depending on miles and years, eventually the motor may be due for a replacement.
I do have to wonder how they will fare in vehicles with the Auto Stop/Start system. . . . :rolleyes:

Reactions: Grantv and Rexy624

·
Registered
75 Posts
A good possibility. Amazing to me these starters last as long as they do. They were able to downsize starter motors many years back when new more powerful magnets were developed. However, that also reduces the size of the armature coils inside the starter motor. So, depending on miles and years, eventually the motor may be due for a replacement.
I do have to wonder how they will fare in vehicles with the Auto Atop/Start system. . . . :rolleyes:
Exactly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts