GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my Acadia the pickings at dealer lots were slim. After weeks of searching for the Acadia I wanted the only thing it lacked was the towing package. I just figured I could get an aftermarket receiver installed which I did. I had the a company I bought my trailer from install the receiver and wiring. They did a good job, but they wired it in such a way that I have to route the pigtail threw the cargo management tray. When towing I have to close the pigtail out the lift gate, and I am afraid the wire will scuff up the chrome strip on the bumper. I know from reading other post that there is a way to tap into that plug that is stuffed up in wheel housing. From what I gather I would have to order a wire harness and have a new fuse block installed, but I don't want to go that route. I was wonder if there was a way to route the pigtail from inside the car to underneath the car. Any Ideas? I would love to have it all buttoned up nice with the receptacle like how the OE tow packages have. The receiver does have a mounting bracket for that receptacle. It look so ghetto to have the pigtail sticking out the lift gate when towing.

:cheers:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do a search for towing package on here. There are several threads that cover what you are fixing to go through. More than likely the way they hooked up your pigtail is going to cause you problems. If they tapped into the wires going to your brake lights it going to start making the led lighting go out and those replacements are a couple of hundred bucks apiece. Been there done that. You are looking at a fuse block replacement to activate the trailer wiring under the acadia. Do the search and read up

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MichAcadia said:
When I bought my Acadia the pickings at dealer lots were slim. After weeks of searching for the Acadia I wanted the only thing it lacked was the towing package. I just figured I could get an aftermarket receiver installed which I did. I had the a company I bought my trailer from install the receiver and wiring. They did a good job, but they wired it in such a way that I have to route the pigtail threw the cargo management tray. When towing I have to close the pigtail out the lift gate, and I am afraid the wire will scuff up the chrome strip on the bumper. I know from reading other post that there is a way to tap into that plug that is stuffed up in wheel housing. From what I gather I would have to order a wire harness and have a new fuse block installed, but I don't want to go that route. I was wonder if there was a way to route the pigtail from inside the car to underneath the car. Any Ideas? I would love to have it all buttoned up nice with the receptacle like how the OE tow packages have. The receiver does have a mounting bracket for that receptacle. It look so ghetto to have the pigtail sticking out the lift gate when towing.

:cheers:
:eek:hno: that just doesn't make sense; why would they install it so that the wires hang out the tailgate and could possibly be damaged? Having the tow package is very convenient; although I don't tow that much.

·
Super Moderator
22,431 Posts
Frankly, I'd take it back and have them install the pigtail in the proper place. I think your installer might be a distant relative of Bozo! or Duncan!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dfrank78 said:
Do a search for towing package on here. There are several threads that cover what you are fixing to go through. More than likely the way they hooked up your pigtail is going to cause you problems. If they tapped into the wires going to your brake lights it going to start making the led lighting go out and those replacements are a couple of hundred bucks apiece. Been there done that. You are looking at a fuse block replacement to activate the trailer wiring under the acadia. Do the search and read up
Thanks Dfrank78, I sure do not want to screw up the LED taillights. I will just have to go the "fuse block" route. Here are some pictures of the mess I have now:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Did you watch the youtube video, is that the same tconnector that you have on there?

I would try running it yourself before doing the fuse block method.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MichAcadia said:
dfrank78 said:
Thanks Dfrank78, I sure do not want to screw up the LED taillights. I will just have to go the "fuse block" route. Here are some pictures of the mess I have now:

:sosad: I would expect better from an installer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bonk1313 said:
Did you watch the youtube video, is that the same tconnector that you have on there?

I would try running it yourself before doing the fuse block method.
I looked for the "Tconnector" a while back and they make them for the Outlook and Enclave, but not the Acadia I assume because the Acadia has LED taillights. I will search for a Tconnector again to see if someone has had made it. ???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
With an aftermarket hitch, can you still use the plastic cover?

·
Registered
116 Posts
6Sixathome said:
With an aftermarket hitch, can you still use the plastic cover?
You wouldn't be able to use the smooth contour one that came with the vehicle pre-hitch...you'd have to order the cover with the little bump-out in it to clear the hitche's receiver. I ordered one online through GM Parts Direct and believe it was around $15.00 or so. I don't have the part number handy but it's in one of those "towing/hitch" threads somewhere.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I would think that kind of wiring would be on a older vehicle but not a late model. I would protest to the installer with the YouTube video and have him do it correct or demand the $$ back. JMO :thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
6Sixathome said:
I would think that kind of wiring would be on a older vehicle but not a late model. I would protest to the installer with the YouTube video and have him do it correct or demand the $$ back. JMO :thumb:
Before the installer wired the car I asked them to wire it from underneath the car, but they told me half way into the install they could only wire the car from the inside only. They said in order to install from under the car they would have to order parts from the dealer. Which I guess they were talking about about the fuse box and wire harness. The way they wired it works, its just a pain in the butt digging the wire from out of the cargo management tray and having to shut the tail gate on the pigtail. I guess my only option is to have the dealer wire it. ???

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
MichAcadia said:
6Sixathome said:
Before the installer wired the car I asked them to wire it from underneath the car, but they told me half way into the install they could only wire the car from the inside only. They said in order to install from under the car they would have to order parts from the dealer. Which I guess they were talking about about the fuse box and wire harness. The way they wired it works, its just a pain in the butt digging the wire from out of the cargo management tray and having to shut the tail gate on the pigtail. I guess my only option is to have the dealer wire it. ???

I am off tomorrow also, I will see if I can get into the back of the acadia, and find some way for you to get that wire to run out a different way then it is. I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
bonk1313 said:
MichAcadia said:
6Sixathome said:

I am off tomorrow also, I will see if I can get into the back of the acadia, and find some way for you to get that wire to run out a different way then it is. I will let you know.
bonk 1313, will you take some pic's?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The only other way I know of to run the wires would have been for the installer to tap the wires just outside the tailights themself and run the wires under the car. The thing is you will still have the problem of the tapped wiring messing with the voltage to the LED lights which will cause them to fail. They are expensive....... I know from experience..... It is worth paying the money to have the dealer change the fusebox. If you talk to the service manager they should be able to get GM to goodwill half the cost so it isnt so bad. Replacing both the tailights just one time is more expensive than just having the fuseblock changed.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Okay, I found a possible path or avenue to run that pigtail. Here are photos I posted to flickr, there are descriptions for what I would do. Obviously this is totally up to you if you want to do it. Part of this may require you to cut the wires going to the pigtail for ease of fishing them through the hole. You would just have to reconnect the wires to make it work.

Start by removing the Brake light housing. there are 2 round plastic covers that cover the screws, With small flat screwdriver pop the covers off, and remove 2 screws with 7mm socket. remove light housing by pulling straight back away from the vehicle. Remove wire attachment at light housing.
Move inside cargo area. Remove cover from Car Jack area.
Remove Car Jack.
Locate the rectangular rubber membrane with wires going through it towards outside of vehicle

PUll back rubber membrane. Locate wires going through rubber grommet towards exterior of vehicle. Make larger hole in grommet, and feed wires or wire pull through.

Larger Exterior view after tail light is removed. Photo #4 is closer view of area, hard to see down inside.

This is closer view of photo #3. This is between the frame/shell of vehicle, and the exterior bumper. Wires exiting the interior of car near tire jack are circled. This is where you wires will come out when fed through the rubber grommet inside.

After feeding wire through the grommet to the void between bumper and shell of vehicle, feed the wire down the void space to rear bumper area, and to the ground. That void channel is where it is circled... If you shine a light from underneath the vehicle and look back in from the top you will see where it will go. After you run it and make sure everything works. Go back and put some silicone caulk around the wires going through you hole in the grommet on photo #2

Hope works for you, let us know.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Nice alternate to the previous install

1 - 20 of 26 Posts