GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on buying an 09 Acadia. Been waiting for that new engine. Was wondering if anyone had comments on the red instrument lights. When I first saw them awhile back, I thought they were different and neat. Been wondering though if they might be hard on the eyes especially driving at night. Been used to soft green in my pickup. Also, I noticed the new Traverse has blue dash lights which might be better on the eyes. Has anyone noticed any problems after having the car awhile with the red lights? Any comments or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love them. Feel, as you said, they are different and neat. It's weird to really like the internal dash lighting in your vehicle and even admit to it. But I'm there.

The blue looks cool in all the pictures I've seen. Haven't seen it in person.

·
Registered
912 Posts
All of our dash lights and stereo lights in our Montana are red and at first I thought it was strange but it really didn't take long to get used to it at all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dash lights in Pontiacs have been red for years, it doesnt bother me at all and didnt take any real getting used to, by the way the lights in my truck are green too. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
If my memory serves me right, red is the one color that does not weaken the human eye's night vision. If the brightness itself is bothersome, you should be able to adjust it to whatever level you want.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have had red in 3 cars now and really like it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Coming from someone that just had Lasik surgery to correct a mussel disorder I really like the red dash lights. And I suffer from poor night vision. I think it is quite refreshing IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Love them, look really nice at night.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are neat. Does not take long to get used to. My father was in the navy and he said that all the instrument lights on the ship were red because the eye supposely can see it better.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The backlighting is one of those things I probably never would have even paid attention to or noticed if I wasn't a member of this forum. So I guess count me as a "doesn't matter" vote.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also thought that the red lights would be peculiar, but now I prefer them to the old green lights I was used to...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Doesn't the Ford Mustang have the ability to choose up to 125 different colors of illumination of the dashboard, I remember reading this somewhere. That is a novel idea, let the drive select the colors he likes (plus you could then match any aftermarket radios you might install. Still, to me it is not that big of a deal. I like the red, at first it took me a while to get used to it, I still find it hard to read some of the text on button with the red background, but I think that has more to do with aging than the color :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
johnway said:
Doesn't the Ford Mustang have the ability to choose up to 125 different colors of illumination of the dashboard, I remember reading this somewhere. That is a novel idea, let the drive select the colors he likes (plus you could then match any aftermarket radios you might install. Still, to me it is not that big of a deal. I like the red, at first it took me a while to get used to it, I still find it hard to read some of the text on button with the red background, but I think that has more to do with aging than the color :eek:

FORD, your on the GMC Acadia site, WHO WANTS A FORD!
[/color]
HAHA ;D

·
Registered
250 Posts
i like the red dash light but i admit, its not a neutral color. a friend of mine, who actually works as a controller for a GMC dealer, veered away from the acadia because of this. weird because she is the one who introduced the acadia to me and my wife. does gm have a plan to introduce a different color?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The red dash lighting is ok with me, but, if given a choice i would have chosen blue. imho, it looks the best of all the dash color i've had before. I'm loving the blue dash lighting i have in my galant.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
preytor said:
i like the red dash light but i admit, its not a neutral color. a friend of mine, who actually works as a controller for a GMC dealer, veered away from the acadia because of this. weird because she is the one who introduced the acadia to me and my wife. does gm have a plan to introduce a different color?
They already have. They have blue in the Enclave and amber in the Outlook. Don't know about the Traverse.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From photos I've seen, the Traverse will have blue dash lights. And yes, red is used in the military and aviation when doing things at night. It maintains your night vision. It has to do with the rods and cones in your eyes. However, I think they chose the red color because it would match the GMC logo. I have mixed feelings about it. I like green and blue better. I think it is softer on the eyes. I do think I first glance, the red is cool and different. I hope I like it. I may grow to love it. We'll see. Thanks to all who took the time to comment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
i've seen the blue in enclave, but my friend does not like enclave. she's hoping they will introduce a different dash light color in acadia.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
preytor said:
i've seen the blue in enclave, but my friend does not like enclave. she's hoping they will introduce a different dash light color in acadia.
I doubt this will ever happen.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I never really gave too much thought to this until I read this post.

I've got a virtual rainbow of dash lighting in the garage:
Corvair #1- was 60's GM green-blue, painted the insides of the gauge pods orange. Didn't work as well as expected.
Corvair #2- 60's GM green-blue.
Datsun- Green (still being assembled).
Mazda- was orange-red, but replaced the dash with a digital unit that is an blue-green LCD.
Toyota- was green-blue, but I bought some ricey white face illuminated overlays to cover up some unused idiot lights & now I can change colors somewhat over the blue-green/inverse spectrum.
BMW- Orange.
Trans Am- Orange.
Durango- Green-blue.

I can't say I really prefer one over the other, and with what I have the red of the Acadia will not be anything out of the norm, but Mrs. Blue may notice it since she is coming from a Durango and doesn't drive any of "my" vehicles. I'm going to be fixated on the HUD anyway & probably won't look at the dash much. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts