GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 with second row bench seat. Any Acadia owners out there who can recommend a really good pet barrier for behind the 2nd row? I will probably not ever use my third row, so once the barrier is in, I'd like it to pretty much stay put.
Thanks!
Maria

·
Super Moderator
21,772 Posts
Aw Maria, don't you let your doggie ride up front with you? Mine enjoy the experience of sticking their noses in the AC vents for the cool air and looking at all the scenery. :)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
This is the one I have and it worked well for my Australian Cattle Dog:

Weather Tech 60010 Pet Barrier @ Amazon.com

You can get extensions for it so that it will reach from floorboard to roof, however, as it is, it would probably brace well on the back of the third row seats when folded down.

I don't have a lot of experience with it unfortunately. I only used it once when I went down to pick up our second puppy and brought our dog with. I wanted to be able to keep them separated in the car on the way home just in case. :) Now they both ride freely in the second row seats with their heads out the windows. :thumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know about the pet being loose in the vehicle. People have given my wife & I a lot over it. We allow our adult male to ride loose in the back to the grocery store or locally only (very short trips). When I hit the highway or speeds above 30 he's in his crate and so is our puppy.

Someone made a good point one day... that the barriers won't really hold much back when you are at freeway speeds and have to slam on the brakes or make a quick maneuver. I don't want to see my 90 lb Doberman flying toward me at max velocity. For my pets safety and mine they get crated. How about that airbag when it goes off and they are in the front seat (either side)? Not good either. The little dogs will be dead in an instant.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
3rd Timer said:
I don't know about the pet being loose in the vehicle. People have given my wife & I a lot over it. We allow our adult male to ride loose in the back to the grocery store or locally only (very short trips). When I hit the highway or speeds above 30 he's in his crate and so is our puppy.

Someone made a good point one day... that the barriers won't really hold much back when you are at freeway speeds and have to slam on the brakes or make a quick maneuver. I don't want to see my 90 lb Doberman flying toward me at max velocity. For my pets safety and mine they get crated. How about that airbag when it goes off and they are in the front seat (either side)? Not good either. The little dogs will be dead in an instant.
Can you belt in the pet crate when travelling? I'm just curious as we will have to be getting something eventually for our Lab puppy. Did I mention I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately? ;D Almost as bad as having a newborn in the house. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely agree with 3rd Timer on loose pets in a vehicle. Even at 15-20mph, a quick, accident-avoiding stop will toss a loose pooch with great force - easily breaking/tearing anything from an ankle to the leg to the shoulder. Our current vehicle won't fit the crates for our 2 dogs, but we have them in harnesses that latch into the vehicle's seatbelt. Still not completely ideal, but at least they won't go flying forward during a sudden stop. If we ever can close on an Acadia, I will feel much better that they can then happily and safely ride in their crates (will probably have to figure out some way to secure the crates to the car).

·
Super Moderator
21,772 Posts
O - M - G !!! No wonder we live in a "Nanny State" now. After 100's of thousands of miles traveling with pets, I have NEVER caged one nor had one get hurt in a panic stop or accident. I don't want to strain my pet through the bars of some cage when a panic maneuver or sudden stop occurs. It makes a huge mess in the rear of the vehicle.

I had more so-called responsible adults flying through my Winnebago than any of the dogs. Dogs, and other pets, seem to know what to do when the vehicle is moving - they lie down and sleep! People, on the other hand, are too freakin' stupid to sit down and enjoy the ride. They want to get up, walk around and look at computer pictures in the back of the coach. Then, when a panic stop is needed, those folks come sliding through the galley, get rug burns and bruise themselves on the engine cover. Guess who gets blamed for their stupidity? I think I'll cage my passengers next time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm not worried about my boxers in the Acadia. We don't travel with them much, just to the park and vet, but our female likes the back and our male likes the 3rd row seats. I was concerned in the Volvo because our female liked to ride up on the ledge in the back window. We tried everything to keep her off because I was afraid a quick brake would put her on the kids heads, but she was crazy to get up there. Both of my stupid dogs get tummy problems if they are "confined". I guess they are spoiled, but letting them lay where they want keeps the car smelling much better!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Can you belt in the pet crate when travelling? I'm just curious as we will have to be getting something eventually for our Lab puppy. Did I mention I haven't been getting a lot of sleep lately? ;D Almost as bad as having a newborn in the house. ;)
Is this your first puppy? Both of my cattle dogs as pups were very much like having a newborn in the house. I used to have to lie on the couch just to get Mason asleep in her crate. Once she fell asleep, I snuck back to my bedroom. LOL

a. I don't think both my dog crates would really fit in the Acadia in a manner in which I could load both dogs into them. The dogs and crates are quite big.

b. That would take much of the appeal of going for a "car ride" out of it for the dogs, so I doubt they would be nearly as interested. heh

c. We don't really go very far. Just the vet or maybe to PetSmart which is actually closer than the vet's office.

I think on a long trip, confining the pets to the very rear of the Acadia with a pet barrier should do the trick. They aren't loose all over the vehicle and that's a small enough area where if you had to stop quick, they shouldn't get thrown through the vehicle... assuming your pet barrier is securely installed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will check out the one barrier which was recommended. My dogs are always loose in the rear of the vehicle. I don't plan on changing that. I'd rather have them back there protected with the barrier, than in the 2nd row or front seat not protected though.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Web Raven said:
Is this your first puppy? Both of my cattle dogs as pups were very much like having a newborn in the house. I used to have to lie on the couch just to get Mason asleep in her crate. Once she fell asleep, I snuck back to my bedroom. LOL

a. I don't think both my dog crates would really fit in the Acadia in a manner in which I could load both dogs into them. The dogs and crates are quite big.

b. That would take much of the appeal of going for a "car ride" out of it for the dogs, so I doubt they would be nearly as interested. heh

c. We don't really go very far. Just the vet or maybe to PetSmart which is actually closer than the vet's office.

I think on a long trip, confining the pets to the very rear of the Acadia with a pet barrier should do the trick. They aren't loose all over the vehicle and that's a small enough area where if you had to stop quick, they shouldn't get thrown through the vehicle... assuming your pet barrier is securely installed.
This is our first puppy in the last 15 or so years and we felt the kids were finally old enough to shoulder some responsibility for having a dog. We never had a crate or anything like that for our last dog. She either rode up front with me in my truck or back in the bed if we weren't going too far (yeah, I know, not too smart :tard: ). I guess we are just trying to be a little more responsible with this one, now that my wife and I are older too. ;D We're just thinking about what to do for longer road trips as I doubt we'd bother with something just driving around our little town. A barrier sounds like a decent way to go for more than just the dog. I've always been a little leery of all the stuff in the back of the Acadia flying forward if we got in a wreck.

·
Super Moderator
21,772 Posts
GeoHawk, it's also a great place to store the kids!! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
5 Posts
OMG I agree I did a search to keep my German Shepherd in the rear and not able to sneak between my 2nd row bucket seats and I'm looking at cages seat belts harnesses etc. Christ i'm on the fire dept and in roll over etc I find dogs roaming the street and it belongs to a driver that was belted and transported to the hosp. The cage would kill em in my book. CHill people.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
maintguy62 said:
OMG I agree I did a search to keep my German Shepherd in the rear and not able to sneak between my 2nd row bucket seats and I'm looking at cages seat belts harnesses etc. Christ i'm on the fire dept and in roll over etc I find dogs roaming the street and it belongs to a driver that was belted and transported to the hosp. The cage would kill em in my book. CHill people.
I partially agree with you... caged animal in a vehicle can cause extreme injury to the animal or people during a collision. The injury to people is elliminated if the cage is secured, but the animal is still prone to injury.

We keep our dog (25lb Kerry Blue Terrier) in a harness that is attached, to the child seat rear tether anchor point, on the folded-down third row seating position. She is only a dog, so her safety, although important to us, isn't the primary reason for the harness. We don't want her flying into the kids or ourselves during a collision. I have no doubt that the harness could seriously injure or kill her during a crash, but her health and safety will always be secondary to my family's safety.

Vehicles are not designed to keep pets safe, sad but true.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
maintguy62 said:
I have attached a link showing a harness similar to what we use. Our two dogs are in the second row, one in each captains chair and the seat belt runs through the back of their harness. They are secure will not fly off the seat in case of a sudden stop and will remain with the vehicle in case of accident. I have also posted a photo showing the two of them secure in their own seats.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217931

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
as a responsible pet owner I would never consider letting my dogs ride loose in the car for any length of time at any speed. I have a German Shepard and a Golden Retreiver. Both weigh in at 90-100 lbs.They both have pet porters that fit behind the second row seating. I put the pet porters up aginist the back of the second row seats so they can't move foward. There pet porters fit nicely in the back and also fill up the area if there both in at the same time. Very little movement is available due to the size of the pet porters. The only way the pet porters can move is if the second row seat backs fold down. We all love our pets and I would suggest that we all consider the circumstances of putting them in harms way. We know better, they don't.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
As an irresponsible pet owner, my dogs don't ride enough in the car to justify cages,kennels or any of that other stuff

·
Super Moderator
21,772 Posts
:blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
:popcorn: I guess I won't say anything about my bird dog riding in the back of the pick up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts