GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2020 Acadia. Its the fall in Michigan right now and everyone is burning their leaves. So the standard thing to do when driving anywhere is to use the recirculate button to avoid the sink in your cabin. I was surprised to find my button didn't work. It lights up like it's working, and even the LCD screen shows it's been pressed. So I took it to the dealer for warranty. The service guy tells me that the technician tells him that it is working. And that recirculate only works when when the air delivery is coming out the dash. Even though the light is on for all other air delivery mode settings (i.e. feet, face, feet & face, feet & defrost) it only is suppose to work when it's blowing out the dash on my face. How does everyone else's Acadia work? The same way? Is this guy full of BS or is he right and this is a ridiculous design flaw?

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Acadia. Its the fall in Michigan right now and everyone is burning their leaves. So the standard thing to do when driving anywhere is to use the recirculate button to avoid the sink in your cabin. I was surprised to find my button didn't work. It lights up like it's working, and even the LCD screen shows it's been pressed. So I took it to the dealer for warranty. The service guy tells me that the technician tells him that it is working. And that recirculate only works when when the air delivery is coming out the dash. Even though the light is on for all other air delivery mode settings (i.e. feet, face, feet & face, feet & defrost) it only is suppose to work when it's blowing out the dash on my face. How does everyone else's Acadia work? The same way? Is this guy full of BS or is he right and this is a ridiculous design flaw?
The owners manual is clear as mud about 'recirc' operation. Best way you can test it yourself is turn the HVAC on with 'recirc' engaged, set something on the cowl intake that creates an odor, and check for the odor entering the cabin. If it does, then there could be a problem.

BTW, 'recirc' is essentially new terminology for 'max A/C.' Makes sense it would only operate when the vehicle is set up for A/C. "Max A/C" would close outside air intake and recirculate cooled inside air to provide the extra cooling someone wanted to have.

Reactions: chisel chest

·
Registered
83 Posts
My understanding is that the RECIRC button reduces the amount of outside air that is brought into the cabin. It does not eliminate the outside air coming into the cabin. Its purpose is to cool down the car more quickly when the temperature is very high.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My understanding is that the RECIRC button reduces the amount of outside air that is brought into the cabin. It does not eliminate the outside air coming into the cabin. Its purpose is to cool down the car more quickly when the temperature is very high.
I agree with you. In Summer even with the A/C on or Off. . . if I hit the Recirc Button * some * outside air comes in. I know I read as much in a TSB for another GM vehicle awhile ago and it essentially said some outside air is still allowed to enter the system. Supposedly for some safety concern. How that is accomplished it did not say. A "calibrated" leak?
Plus, it seems to me that every GM or other brand vehicle I've owned has done the same.
All I know is when we approach the 5,000 head mega milk cow complex outside of town a ways, wife always reminds me to hit the Recirc Button several miles before we get to it. Even with the fan on Low and either A/C On or Off some manure parfum gets into the cabin as we pass by the fragrant cow condos.

Reactions: chisel chest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I've owned a few Toyotas and when ever I use the recirc button it eliminates nearly all the stink from outside. There is a valve that closes the air from coming inside the cabin and allows the air recirculate inside the cabin. This should be actuated when the button is pressed and the light is on. I'm still having an issue with it. Seems to only work when it is blowing from the dash, yet the light will remain on when I switch to any other mode (feet, defrost, ect.)

·
Super Moderator
20,566 Posts
If no outside air entered the cabin at some point the oxygen levels would lower and CO2 levels increase potentially creating an unsafe environment.
It only closes the cowl intake. These vehicles are not air-tight!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If no outside air entered the cabin at some point the oxygen levels would lower and CO2 levels increase potentially creating an unsafe environment.
Exactlu . . fully aware of that. I try and keep things simple when commenting to others as you never know the level of technical understanding of readers.(y)

·
Registered
118 Posts
We had horrible forest fires out west this summer so bad it would burn your eyes and lungs even when driving. I used the recirculation mode for weeks and had no smoke smell in the vehicle or any other issues. I normally run the system in auto mode and would just push the recirc button which disabled auto mode but seems to seal things up well enough it did not stink or cause problems anymore. Below is the button I am referring to.
Untitled.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We had horrible forest fires out west this summer so bad it would burn your eyes and lungs even when driving. I used the recirculation mode for weeks and had no smoke smell in the vehicle or any other issues. I normally run the system in auto mode and would just push the recirc button which disabled auto mode but seems to seal things up well enough it did not stink or cause problems anymore. Below is the button I am referring to.
View attachment 10459
This is the experience I was looking for. Thank you very much for posting. This was my expectation!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts