GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the receiver hitch come standard with the Acadia? I'd like to purchase a bike hitch.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is not standard, and if you search on here, you will see not easy to add. There is a cover that hides the hitch, if you have it. If you are buying, make sure it has it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No, you have to purchase the trailer package. But you can add a receiver for maybe $100 if you do not need to tow and need the additional wiring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No towing needed. I just need to use a bike rack.Does the hitch need to be purchased at the dealer? or can i have it installed at the bike store?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The dealers usually forward that type of work to U-Haul dealers; I would just go there and have them install one as long as you aren't going to tow anything

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The 07's don't have the cover; at least mine doesn't

·
Registered
281 Posts
If you know how to tighten a screw, then you can put your own hitch on. Trust me, with my little mechanical experience, I put one on our Acadia and our Sienna. I went with a hidden hitch and I think it was right about $100 give or take $10. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
who1975 said:
If you know how to tighten a screw, then you can put your own hitch on. Trust me, with my little mechanical experience, I put one on our Acadia and our Sienna. I went with a hidden hitch and I think it was right about $100 give or take $10. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Bill
Thanks,I seem to remember on my Sequia that the bike store just screwed something in, then inserted the hitch.Was'nt sure if it was different eith the Acadia

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
lewisra said:
jsimms said:
The 07's don't have the cover; at least mine doesn't
Somebody must have stolen it! Did you buy new? If so, I'd have a conversation with the dealer.
I bought it used; not worried about it though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
who1975 said:

Bill
who1975, What brand hidden hitch did you purchase? Do you have a picture of it by chance?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Gellie-

Ask and you shall receive. I got the Hidden Hitch #87435. It is rated for 5000lbs with a 500lbs tongue weight.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
who1975 said:
Gellie-

Ask and you shall receive. I got the Hidden Hitch #87435. It is rated for 5000lbs with a 500lbs tongue weight.

Bill
Thanks very much Bill! :thumb:

·
Registered
614 Posts
When you buy the bike rack be careful as mine didn't fit well, so I had to make a shim to keep it from rocking back and forth in the receiver.
I got the rack that has a pin you can pull and tilt the bikes away from the back of the vehicle, so I can open the rear hatch without removing the bike rack.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought I remembered seeing a pin that you can buy that would prevent the rocking. I might have to do some research, but I am pretty sure they are out there. I was going to get one and then we sold our bike rack. However, when I tow, I would like to get something like this to prevent the ball from moving forward and backwards. I don't notice it as much with our camper vs. when I tow a regular 5x8 trailer. It doesn't move much, maybe an 1/8 or 1/4 inch, but it is very loud and annoying.

Bill

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once the receiver hitch is installed, can you reattach the bumper cover ?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not unless you get the bumper cover that was made for the tow package. If I remember correctly, it was not that much on gmpartsdirect.com. I got some parts from them and they were very fairly priced. I just decided that it was not worth the expense to get the cover. Good Luck! :thumb:

Bill

PS. Based on my search of the forum, the part you need from gmpartsdirect is:

GM PART # 15933983

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an fyi.. this last weekend I had my 08 Acadia in to the dealer for a quick part replacement and asked the service manager for a quote on installing a receiver hitch..
He came back with a quote of $879.11.!!! ouch... I asked him why does it cost so much and he replied:
"Approx 300.00 of that is labor. The rest is the receiver and wiring harness. The tongue and ball are not part of the kit due to the numerous variations on needs."
...So $500 for just parts? still seems high... just for the receiver and (probably) the fuse box...

anybody else get a better installed pricing?

dm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts