GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm dealing with quite the headache on my '18 Acadia. I am unable to get the rear wiper blade off at all, and it is somewhat urgent as the actual wiper part has deteriorated to the point of the metal strip contacting the rear glass. Of course I am not using the rear blade in the meantime. The owner's manual states that there is a clip that I have to press to get the old wiper off, but as the blade assembly does not come far off of the glass at all (only a few inches), I am unable to get my fat fingers in there to press anything or to get anything else in there to feel around.

I've looked on YouTube and have not found anything specifically for this generation of Acadia, and the Traverse video I watched was a reverse setup but I still was not able to get it off. It's also about ten degrees here, so I am hesitant to push hard on it in case the entire assembly breaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. That's the site/video I tried using, but the old wiper is stuck in there. I'm almost wondering if the issue is that there's a ton of salt buildup in there, would that impact it?

·
Super Moderator
21,113 Posts
... I'm almost wondering if the issue is that there's a ton of salt buildup in there, would that impact it?
Things clipped together come apart better if they're cleaned first. ;)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had an issue sliding out the blade on my '18 with the wiper arm still on the vehicle. I ended up removing the wiper arm, that made it a piece of cake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same, had to remove the arm. I really thought I could do it on, but I found I did not have that certain set of skills.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Acadia SLT2 w/trailer package
14 Posts
Doesn't specifically answer to help, but the first time I needed to replace that wiper on mine, I had to go through the dealer parts department because no one else in my area carried the wiper nor could I verify the correct fit from any online retailer. I bought it and they even had to order it in, so when I went to pick it up I realized they charged me for the wiper and install. so instead of going through a return on the install (it was only a few bucks) I made them go out and actually do it. I watched the guy and he was even having issues changing it. So even the "pros" have a hard time with those rear wiper blades.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Doesn't specifically answer to help, but the first time I needed to replace that wiper on mine, I had to go through the dealer parts department because no one else in my area carried the wiper nor could I verify the correct fit from any online retailer. I bought it and they even had to order it in, so when I went to pick it up I realized they charged me for the wiper and install. so instead of going through a return on the install (it was only a few bucks) I made them go out and actually do it. I watched the guy and he was even having issues changing it. So even the "pros" have a hard time with those rear wiper blades.
There are, of course, the Youtube videos that show how. But even those are often "finessed " with time lapse or paused.
Releasing the old wiper blade from that rear wiper requires some real dexterity and knowing how and where to release the clip holding the wiper blade on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts