GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have two dogs and they ride in the car (now the Acadia) often with us. The second day we owned it, we were out runing errands and driving up the valley road in WV. The dogs think cattle in the fields are "big, slow dogs." As we're driving 55+ up the valley road, our smallest dog puts his paws on the rear door armrest to look out the window and cry and bark at the "big, slow dogs."

Here's the point...he presses/trips the window down button and that's a scarry thing for a dog owner. We're now keeping the "daddy window lock" button engaged. Keep your pets safe!

·
Registered
306 Posts
You sure have the most interesting reports from your experiences in your new Acadia--I can't wait for the next ones!!

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Glad it worked out for the best!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Thank you SO much for posting this! My cattle dogs will eventually have car rides in the Acadia and they are very very very big on running from window to window so they can look out both sides. I would not put it past Caleb to leap out an open window of a moving vehicle. Now I know to keep those rear windows locked at all times.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry....don't mean to be preachy....but your pets should be crated or have their harness attached to the safety belt when in the car. I dread to think what would happen if you were hit and the car rolled over or something....your pet would be seriously injured if not worse. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I see a dog in the back of an open pick-up truck. :eek:hno: Anyway, don't hate me....just want to see our precious pets safe and protected.

Louise

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree about the dogs in the back of a pickup...makes me sick. However, when I see dumb rednecks in the back of a pickup, I can't think of how natural selection should just take its course. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LWisni5735 said:
Sorry....don't mean to be preachy....but your pets should be crated or have their harness attached to the safety belt when in the car. I dread to think what would happen if you were hit and the car rolled over or something....your pet would be seriously injured if not worse. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I see a dog in the back of an open pick-up truck. :eek:hno: Anyway, don't hate me....just want to see our precious pets safe and protected.

Louise
Louise,
As well, makes me furious to see loose people or dogs in a pick up. I cannot speak for Web Raven, but we're fully aware of the risk to our pets inside a closed vehicle, just as we are aware of the risk we take with our own lives when we put the car in drive.

However, your containment recommendations have limitations. Neither has been subjected to the type of testing for seat belts and airbags on crash test dummies. In the case of an anchor, it only prevents the pet from being a missle, just like a human, but it wouldn't restrain the pet in the same way as seat belts or protect like . Can't imagine much safety in a roll-over. In the case of a crate, both the pet and the crate would become a missle, and if the car rolls, I don't see how a pet in a crate is safer than loose. In our case, we make a calculated risk in our closed vehicle.

Having said that, our other vehicle is a convertible and the dogs love to ride in it with the top down...with their harnesses and seat-belt anchor attachments. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Question - Do you ever drive over the speed limit?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Good points Acadia4VA-WV. I, too, would NEVER put my pet in the back of a pickup truck.

My dogs are large and their crates would not both fit in my Acadia. I never take them very far (and I know, most accidents happen near home...). But they will just go with me to the vet or maybe a trip to PetSmart to get them out of the house. Neither are very far away.

To each their own though. I am not offended in any way by any "preachy" comments made. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts